Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

0 members and 3,088 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: First Shed!

Thanks

First Shed!

I think.
    I was just looking in his cage to see if anything needed to be cleaned out, like deification and noticed a ball of skin inside the opening of his warm side hide for the first time. I took it out and found two balls of skin but I really think it was just one that broke when I picked it up. I've thought this was coming up because of how he's been a bit lethargic lately like other reptiles I have before they shed. But I never noticed any pink on his belly. I just now took as best of a look at his eyes and they seem all clear. He's in his other favorite hide now and I don't like to bother him when he's inside them. He likes a cork tube best. The hot side one is the traditional black plastic box. I'll check again tonight.
    But Im a bit bothered because the humidity is over 50%, but below 60%. Although the shed seems to be full and complete. And he hasn't missed a meal. Im also surprised that he shed all of his skin inside the hot side hide. Its under a RHP. But all in all, a good shed.
    He'll be a year old in November, had him since June.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-16-2023),Bogertophis (10-16-2023),Ruby (10-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Re: First Shed!

Quote Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
    But Im a bit bothered because the humidity is over 50%, but below 60%.
    Bothered? Why?
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    I just thought from things I've read on here it should be humidity should be higher when in shed. Just want the best for him!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

I just thought from things I've read on here it should be humidity should be higher when in shed. Just want the best for him!
    So you failed to maintain proper humidity and you got away with it. Don't be bothered. Rejoice!
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-16-2023),mistergreen (10-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,839 Times in 11,851 Posts
    For sure! A good shed depends not only on the humidity in their enclosure, but also (& more so) on their internal hydration. The external humidity can help some if their internal hydration isn't so great, & that's why it's a good idea to bump it up when you know your snake will be shedding soon. To be on the "safe side".

Once you have a snake get stuck in their shed, you'll better understand why we're so determined to avoid this, & fyi, it can happen through no fault of anyone. A snake with health problems may have a terrible time shedding- in fact, poor shedding is seen as a sign of a possible health problem in a snake. Dehydration can be due to poor diet, certain illnesses, aging, organ failure, or parasites (such as mites). It's not just the humidity in their enclosure.

Bad sheds happen if their body cannot spare the water to secrete between the old & new skin layers to facilitate shedding. (<that's why fresh sheds feel moist) Bad sheds also happen for some snakes if they're simultaneously trying to digest a meal, because that also uses the water in their system to accomplish. Snakes know instinctively not to eat when in shed, but with us giving them "room service", some of them will eat anyway. And some will "get away with it" not impacting their shed, but others will have a terrible shed. See?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mistergreen (10-16-2023)

Thanks
    I see!
    Good to know. The skin I pulled out did feel moist.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,839 Times in 11,851 Posts

I see!
    Good to know. The skin I pulled out did feel moist.
    You want to make a point of checking the sheds for tail tip & eye caps- preferably by seeing them in the shed skin, since eye caps especially are very hard (if not impossible) to see when they remain on the snake's eyes. Stuck eye caps can damage their eyes, & stuck on tail tips can cause gangrene (death of the tail tip) that may require amputation. There is only a tiny blood supply in the tail tip of a snake, so even one or 2 stuck sheds there can cut off the circulation there.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-16-2023)

Thanks

I just checked his shed. There are two eye caps, very distinct to see, even the shape of his head in a way. And there is also a distinct tail end to the shed. I also took a good look at him now and don't see any left oven shed on him. Thanks for all the helpful advice.