Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,243

4 members and 3,239 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Handling new BP for feeding and weighing

I realize there are several handling questions already but I couldn't find my exact issue answered. I'm new to keeping BPs. I just got my first one 3 months ago, and she was 1 mo old at the time (So 4mo old). She's doing excellent, has fed 6+ times already for me, shed twice, regular bowel movements. My question is what's the best way to get her out of the enclosure both to weigh her and completely replace her substrate?

When she was initially settling in she would often cruise at night, and I could just open the cage and put her somewhere. The past month now she stays in her hides and only fully comes out if she smells food. Even late at night I've not caught her doing more than going between hides.

I hate to open up the hide and just grab her but not seeing another option. Was tempted to target her out and give her a pinkie once she's on my animal cart, maybe? She's incredibly food motivated now and another reason I need to weigh her and make sure I'm offering the right sized prey (currently on fuzzy rats, but plan to move to pups once I confirm her size).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Handling new BP for feeding and weighing

Miscounted the feedings completely, she's fed 19 times now. I mark on the calendar when I have. It's usually once a week, but sometimes every 3 days if she's acting especially hungry.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,839 Times in 11,851 Posts
    Personally, I wouldn't be grabbing any snake to weigh, ever, unless they were truly sick, & needing meds based on weight. It's unnecessarily stressful for them, IMO. If she's been hiding more, maybe she's sick of being weighed too.

Cleaning is another matter, for health reasons- but if you spot clean, you don't need to pick her up that often for a total change out, & when you do, one way to minimize a snake's stress is just to offer a dark container (or towel- many things can work) they can "flee into". Granted, most people don't do that*, & it doesn't sound like your snake is afraid to eat, but if circumstances were different, it's another way of doing things to prevent their stress. *Using a "shift cage" is what zoos do, & what I did when I kept venomous- for safety as well as reducing their stress- & mine.

You're correct in assuming that lifting a snake's hide is something they hate, & they NEED a place to feel safe & secure. Sure, you could also "target train" I suppose? Your call.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Amira_Appreciator (10-13-2023),Homebody (10-13-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amira_Appreciator View Post
    My question is what's the best way to get her out of the enclosure both to weigh her and completely replace her substrate?
    If you're able to target your BP out of its enclosure, that is what you should do. Grabbing her out of her enclosure may be contributing to her increasing shyness. Here a link to a video where I target my Children's python out for weighing.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-13-2023 at 08:35 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Amira_Appreciator (10-13-2023),Bogertophis (10-13-2023)

Thanks

Thank you both for the replies! I actually have not weighed her yet, and not taken her out in over a month. I'm mainly concerned with how hungry she seems that the meals are too small/infrequent. She always extends out of her hide to see if I have anything when I walk by. She's also never refused food.

Really appreciate the video! That helps and is along the lines of what I wanted to try. She already targets well and will come out for food. Do you leave your snake(s) out to finish the snack after putting them in the bowl?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amira_Appreciator For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-13-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amira_Appreciator View Post
    Do you leave your snake(s) out to finish the snack after putting them in the bowl?
    No. Once I've got the weight, I pick up the bowl, with him in it, and put it in the enclosure. That way, I won't have to handle him so soon after he eats.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-13-2023 at 04:15 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Amira_Appreciator (10-14-2023),Bogertophis (10-13-2023)