Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

3 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

4 year old not eating for 3 months

cool temp is around 75, warm temp is 85. humidity around 60-85, depending on how long it's been since i sprayed. she has a uth, above heat, day/night cycle, hide on both sides, plenty of stuff to hide in (fake plants) she would always let me know when she's hungry by laying her head on top of her rock. she's been doing that for 3 months, but every time i give her her f/t, she ignores it. she'll even lay next to it. today we offered a live mouse and she completely ignored it. she went through shed a few days ago so i figured she'd be starving. she's active, doesn't seem distressed at all. rarely handled, just leave her to herself. i felt for any hard blockages and didn't feel anything. i don't see any mites either. i'm at a loss. she hasn't gone this long without eating before, and i'm wondering if it might possibly be the changing weather, but the last time she ate was in july. would love any advice

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,188 Posts

Re: 4 year old not eating for 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by smashley View Post
    cool temp is around 75, warm temp is 85. humidity around 60-85, depending on how long it's been since i sprayed. she has a uth, above heat, day/night cycle, hide on both sides, plenty of stuff to hide in (fake plants) she would always let me know when she's hungry by laying her head on top of her rock. she's been doing that for 3 months, but every time i give her her f/t, she ignores it. she'll even lay next to it. today we offered a live mouse and she completely ignored it. she went through shed a few days ago so i figured she'd be starving. she's active, doesn't seem distressed at all. rarely handled, just leave her to herself. i felt for any hard blockages and didn't feel anything. i don't see any mites either. i'm at a loss. she hasn't gone this long without eating before, and i'm wondering if it might possibly be the changing weather, but the last time she ate was in july. would love any advice
    Temps seem a little low. You'd be safe bumping it up to 90 - 80F. Humidity seems high. I'd aim for 60%, higher when in shed. How long have you had her? What have you been feeding her and how often? I ask because overfeeding can bring on a fast.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts
    Yeah, this time of year, it might be the combination of temps. being too cool PLUS shorter day lengths that many snakes do notice & take to mean that it's time to fast for winter. Keep in mind that if you live in a warm climate, your home use of A/C can be part of the problem. Snakes don't know it's A/C, they think it's winter coming.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-11-2023 at 05:18 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-11-2023)

Thanks
    She normally eats a large frozen rat every month. I've had her since she was a baby. Never had an issue with feeding. I had her humidity up higher cuz she had eye caps. She's normally (before I raised then recently) at 60 humidity. I mean the cool side of the tank is 75-78 and the high side is 85ish

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

Re: 4 year old not eating for 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by smashley View Post
    She normally eats a large frozen rat every month. I've had her since she was a baby. Never had an issue with feeding. I had her humidity up higher cuz she had eye caps. She's normally (before I raised then recently) at 60 humidity. I mean the cool side of the tank is 75-78 and the high side is 85ish
    You might bump up your temps a bit- cool side 78-80, & warm side 88-90. And you might be overfeeding too- that's why many snakes go on fasts. For the most part, adult male BPs should stay on small rats, & adult female BPs should stay on medium rats. I think she's trying to tell you something. And keep in mind that the speed of her digestion is dependent on the warmth available too. You're giving her more than she can handle on such a regular basis- when you back down to mediums, she's more likely to eat on schedule. Remember that our captive snakes just aren't very active either.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (10-15-2023),Homebody (10-11-2023)