Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,287

2 members and 3,285 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Heating and Humidity questions for new BP

hello ! I'm new to snake keeping but not reptiles (I keep two semi-aquatic turtles and know how to manage tank temperatures). I'm getting my first BP in a month and have some questions about getting the heat and humidity up and if there's anything I should change. I currently have a 55 gallon bioactive tank set up with plenty of hiding spots and foliage so it isn't too open. I'm using peat based soil and coco mulch for the substrate as well as leaf litter spread on top(drainage system with gravel and sphagnum moss at the bottom). I also have terrarium moss planted on top of and inside the humid/hot hide and all over the tank to boost humidity. I have a temp gauge on each side of the tank and a humidity/temp gauge. For heating I'm using a heat lamp in the center (hanging for above tank to avoid burns) and two heat pads on the hot side. I've tested out the tank and gotten the hot side to 82F and the cool side to 75F, I've seen that this is too cold but also fine and I'm not sure if I need to get more heat in the tank or keep it as it is. The humidity is usually at 50% and gets up to 70% when I mist the tank, I'm thinking about getting a small humidifier for when my BP eventually sheds but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'll be hopefully getting the snake from an expo, if they don't have any juvenile BPs in my price range then I'll be buying from wilbanks reptiles, I have a source for the food but may be posting about that later. Any help is appreciated !!

Thanks

Re: Heating and Humidity questions for new BP

I should also mention I'm using a glass tank with black poster board covering the sides to help keep in heat. I also have powder blue isopods as a clean-up crew

Thanks
    Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carcrshbf View Post
    hello ! I'm new to snake keeping but not reptiles (I keep two semi-aquatic turtles and know how to manage tank temperatures). I'm getting my first BP in a month and have some questions about getting the heat and humidity up and if there's anything I should change. I currently have a 55 gallon bioactive tank set up with plenty of hiding spots and foliage so it isn't too open. I'm using peat based soil and coco mulch for the substrate as well as leaf litter spread on top(drainage system with gravel and sphagnum moss at the bottom). I also have terrarium moss planted on top of and inside the humid/hot hide and all over the tank to boost humidity. I have a temp gauge on each side of the tank and a humidity/temp gauge. For heating I'm using a heat lamp in the center (hanging for above tank to avoid burns) and two heat pads on the hot side. I've tested out the tank and gotten the hot side to 82F and the cool side to 75F, I've seen that this is too cold but also fine and I'm not sure if I need to get more heat in the tank or keep it as it is. The humidity is usually at 50% and gets up to 70% when I mist the tank, I'm thinking about getting a small humidifier for when my BP eventually sheds but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I'll be hopefully getting the snake from an expo, if they don't have any juvenile BPs in my price range then I'll be buying from wilbanks reptiles, I have a source for the food but may be posting about that later. Any help is appreciated !!
    That's a fine description, but pics would help. Here's a link to a thread that will show you how to post them: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures. You definitely need more heat. Where are the heat pads located? Not the bottom. No heat pad is heating through bioactive layers.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2023)

Thanks

Both heating pads are small zoo-med pads on the sides of the tank right above the substrate, each brings the temp up about 3 degrees (Fahrenheit) and the lamp boosts it by about six or seven. I'm thinking of getting two medium heat pads for both sides to get them up higher (I'm guessing the medium pads would bring it up 4-5 degrees each?). The heat pads are definitely not hot enough to cause burns. I have a thermostat for the whole room and aren't able to install one just for the tank. Usually the room is 70F but I have no problem keeping it 75F if it'll help the tank temperatures. I'll try to post a picture when I'm able :]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carcrshbf View Post
    Both heating pads are small zoo-med pads on the sides of the tank right above the substrate, each brings the temp up about 3 degrees (Fahrenheit) and the lamp boosts it by about six or seven. I'm thinking of getting two medium heat pads for both sides to get them up higher (I'm guessing the medium pads would bring it up 4-5 degrees each?). The heat pads are definitely not hot enough to cause burns. I have a thermostat for the whole room and aren't able to install one just for the tank. Usually the room is 70F but I have no problem keeping it 75F if it'll help the tank temperatures. I'll try to post a picture when I'm able :]
    Your heat sources need to be regulated by thermostats. Excessive heat can kill your snake very quickly. You should measure your temps with an infrared heat gun. This will tell you the temp of the surfaces that your snake is coming in contact with. A BP should not have access to temps above 90F. Raising the ambient temp in the room will help.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-11-2023 at 11:25 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-12-2023),carcrshbf (10-12-2023)

Thanks

found a thermostat I can plug the lamp and heat pads into and I have a heat gun already coming in the mail, thanks for the response!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carcrshbf For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-12-2023),Homebody (10-12-2023)