Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

0 members and 3,344 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Brown Recluse found IN BP ENCLOSURE !!!

Hey all, I’m guessing this must be a pretty rare occurrence since I literally can’t find any info about it on the web. Today I checked up on my 11 month old banana clown BP, and took him out to hang out and explore a bit. When I removed him from the enclosure I noticed a good sized brown spider ON HIM! I nearly dropped him, but managed to set him down fairly gently on the ground. The spider took off and I don’t think it bit him in that moment.

i eventually was able to catch the spider and confirmed that it was indeed a brown recluse. We live in a wooded area so it’s not too uncommon to find spiders of all sort around our property, but in his enclosure?!? So scary!!

I’m not sure how long the spider was in there (i only handle him about once a week) but I don’t think he got bit, and currently he’s acting pretty normal. I haven’t noticed any abnormalities in his appearance either. I inspected him thoroughly a few times now. The exotic vet in our town is closed so I’m looking for some advice. If he were to get bit by this recluse, what should I be looking for? Was this spider trying to eat my snake?! (( Can spiders like this even bite snakes, and is their venom an issue for my ball?

Any information would be very much appreciated.

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Brown Recluse found IN BP ENCLOSURE !!!

If your ball python is acting normal: I would not be concerned.

Brown recluse spiders are not a threat if they are left alone. Their primary defense is to flee. Ball pythons are too large and move too slow to be much of a threat (for this type of spider). In the off-chance that the ball python did pinch the brown recluse while moving and this resulted in a bite: perhaps their fangs could get through the scales of a hatchling or a sub-adult in shed, but, a larger snake seem unlikely.

The fact that the spider was standing on top of your ball python likely indicated that it was interested in the heat radiating from the snake or the vibration of the breathing.

Given that the world is a large place: I am not aware of any instance where a ball python has been actively killed by a domestic spider in the USA.

If you do encounter issues: Do let us know!
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 10-01-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-01-2023),Armiyana (10-01-2023),Bogertophis (10-01-2023)

Thanks
    It sounds to me like your ball python A-okay. I'm glad you weren't bit either. Some crazy things end up in pet enclosures. I remember a post on reef forums about someone finding a dead bat in their tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-...-days.1000080/

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    It sounds to me like your ball python A-okay. I'm glad you weren't bit either. Some crazy things end up in pet enclosures. I remember a post on reef forums about someone finding a dead bat in their tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a-...-days.1000080/
    I think it would be very hard not to notice a bat in your snake's enclosure- At least, until the snake decided to do something about it. "What's this? Catch as catch can? Well ok then."
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-01-2023),Trinityblood (10-01-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

When a brown recluse bites, it creates a necrotic condition, so what you will see on a bite to a human is an area that may look discolored at first, but then it collapses. The issue is it is breaking down the tissue underneath the skin. Brown recluse are normally not fatal to humans but they can leave nasty tissue damage and often the bite ends up being almost like a divot in the flesh. if you are using coconut bark or the likes, brown recluse like warm moist wood areas. That is why they are often found in wood piles where there is decay happening. It creates all three conditions making it a desired environment. However, a snake has scales and tough skin so I would be surprised if it did bite, whether it would penetrate enough to envenomate the tissue.

Are you sure it was a brown recluse? Was it hairy or smooth? Brown recluse are smooth. Did you clearly see the violin shaped mark on the lothorax? Many people see a brown spider and automatically presume it is a recluse, much like every water snake is a water moccasin. Just look the snake over very well for any blood or marks, and keep an eye for the next couple days for any changes on the skin.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-01-2023),Homebody (10-01-2023)