Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,090

2 members and 3,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Another RHP Question

So I have a Toad Ranch 4x2x2 that has been sealed. I’m running into the Normal issues with Temps. The Enclosure is Fully Furnished with Branches/Hides/Cork Bark/Substrate Etc. I do have Flextape set up on the coolside however wasn’t necessarily intending on running it full time. Only in winter months when the temps get cooler in the house and for supplemental heat. The RHP is a Wilbanks 80watt, set to 90F on a Herpstat2 spyderweb. The Home Temp is usually around 70-73 depending on the room. So my questions are how long is the wait time for the enclosure to reach temp when first starting up a RHP? Will the RHP give my hides the necessary temps of the 88-92 needed at the ground level? Should I just move the Flextape to the Hotside and just use it for a UTH in a Dual heating Purpose and not attempt to Raise the Thermostat temp on the RHP?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    With hides on the floor the RHP will definitely not get them to 88-92 without cooking the rest of the enclosure. You'll likely need the UTH under the warm hide if you require the floor of the cage to be that warm.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-30-2023)

Thanks

Re: Another RHP Question

So how long does it take the RHP to heat to temp?

Thanks
    Depends on how it's furnished, temp of the room it's in, where in the room it is, flooring material of the room, drafts, etc. If you monitor the temps with an infrared thermometer and take notes you'll have an idea of when and how it stabilizes. Could be several hours or even a couple days to get it dialed in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-30-2023)

Thanks

You’ll get it sorted out with a little trial and error. The nice thing I’ve found with RHP over the years is once you’ve got it dialed in it’s pretty much set in place aside from seasonal adjustments as house temps fluctuate

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-30-2023)

Thanks

My BP doesn't arrive until TUESDAY. So No one is inside yet. OK so After a Few Days of Trial and Error. I Have my Two Thermostats reading 82.6-85.1 on the Hot side and 76-81 on the Cool side. (Swings possible when taking Temps) With the Infrared Gun i get 90 on top of the warm hide and 85 under. The Cork Bark I have in the enclosure reads anywhere from 97 to 101 at times. I have seen that if i dial back my RHP a Few degrees I lose the Temp needed in the Hot Hide. I have tried to Dial in the UTH on the Warm Side and still have some work to do. its currently set to 95 and I'm waiting to see just exactly how warm it gets at the base of the PVC. With it being 1/2 in thick am I just spinning my wheels on UT Heating or do I just need to bite the bullet and Order a higher watt RHP at this point. Or Possibly would I need to just increase the heat to warm up the Hot Side hide more. I have thinned the Substrate under the Hot Hide to allow for better pentration of the UTH. Currently its about 2'' thick on the Hot Side and 4'' thick on the cold side. Humidity is a Bit High but I'm certain in days it will drop.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    You only need 1/4 inch of substrate over the heat tape to absorb waste because ball pythons don't make huge messes. Measure the temperature of the glass over the heat tape, not on top of the substrate, as ball pythons like to burrow.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (10-03-2023),Homebody (10-03-2023)