Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,474

1 members and 3,473 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Hello! An Introduction & Requesting Some Advice

Thank you to everyone for their advice.

Some notes for clarification.

1. It's an Exo-Terra tank, so the framework does leave space under the glass for airflow. I just connected my 100W Exo-Terra thermostat but I think I might have to return it. The plug connector that the heat mat plugs into is very loose, so I'm not sure if it's making a connection. I set it for 92, so I guess I just have to wait until it cools down to see if it's working properly. I did place the probe between the mat and the glass under the tank - hopefully peeling the mat didn't damage it or the adhesive.

2. I checked out the Focus Cubed replacement tops. They look fantastic, but it'll have to be a purchase for a couple of months down the road. For the short term, I'll be using plexiglass. It definitely looks like the screen is the issue regarding humidity. For the short term until a more permanent top is ready, I took a thicker blanket and folded it for extra thickness, and have covered about 60% of the screen. The humidity has gone up and seems to be holding around 64-65%.

3. I will be buying a second thermostat for the hot side CHE. I'll hold off on the cold side one until I get the laser thermometer and can check the surface temps better.

4. I've already removed the skull hide and placed the coconut in its place temporarily. I'll be getting another rock cave for the cold side. Since the heat mat was turned down, she has gone back into the cave. She seemed to like it before, just didn't stay in it long, so I think the comments suggesting it was too hot were valid. When the moss arrives, it'll hopefully make for a good humid spot for her. If that doesn't work, I'll go with the plastic tub idea.

5. I'm going to look into the DHP bulbs for sure. If it means I replace the CHE's, whatever, if it's better for her. I can just keep the CHE's as emergency backups in case the other burns out and I don't have another on hand.

Thanks again for everyone's help! I think I'm mostly set, just some fine tuning until I get it perfect. Much appreciated.

Ian

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ian C For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-19-2023),Bogertophis (09-19-2023),Homebody (09-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    I know it's a lot to take in all at once but trust me, it all gets easier- especially if you hang around here some. It sounds like you're on the right track, & you're obviously a good "listener".

BTW- the "humid hide" should be on the cool side, or midway at most. It would dry out too fast on the warm side, & besides, when snakes goes into "shed", they generally prefer the cool side & that's when they most need a humid hide.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-19-2023),Homebody (09-19-2023),Ian C (09-19-2023)

Thanks

Yes, it's a lot, but thankfully I tend to pick things up quickly, plus I do have some history with lizards so it's not "entirely" new.

Good news, I don't need to worry about my existing thermostat needing a return - it has turned on and off several times. Obviously it was indeed way to hot as it took a while for it to turn on the first time. I, and our BP, owe you guys huge for that.

The humidity has dropped again, but it's been a few hours and is sitting at 55% now. Certainly an improvement, and the more permanent fix plus adding moss should help. I'll keep working at it.

Thanks for clearing up the humid hide information. What are your thoughts on this hide? I like that it gives near total darkness for her and with moss inside I think it would be good for that cold side, but not sure about the solid bottom, as I fear it might become a bathroom and unhealthy.

Ian

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian C For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    The humidity has dropped again, but it's been a few hours and is sitting at 55% now. Certainly an improvement, and the more permanent fix plus adding moss should help. I'll keep working at it.

Thanks for clearing up the humid hide information. What are your thoughts on this hide? I like that it gives near total darkness for her and with moss inside I think it would be good for that cold side, but not sure about the solid bottom, as I fear it might become a bathroom and unhealthy.
    Try aluminum foil to cover the screen top rather than a blanket. It's not porous, so it won't absorb or allow humidity to pass through it. It's also not flammable, so you can cover more of the top without fear that your heating elements will light it on fire.

I think that hide is very nice, but too expensive. Better to use that money toward the Exoterra replacement top and reuse a food container for your humid hide.
    Last edited by Homebody; 09-19-2023 at 03:46 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2023),Ian C (09-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    Another co-sign here: For now, cover almost the entirety of the screen top (leave room for your CHE or DHP) with silver HVAC tape. A blanket will actually wick moisture/humidity out of the enclosure. Just use the tape on the outside of the mesh top, of course.

As far as those Zilla Rock Lairs - honestly of any hide I have ever used, those are hands-down the favorite hide for all of my snakes. Even my Jungle Carpet python, who rarely touches the ground, likes using his. Yes, they are pricey but I would definitely recommend one as an eventual purchas.

For humid hides, though, I don't care for them - they're heavy, and it honestly makes spot cleaning and checking the moss for cleanliness, moisture level, etc. sort of a pain. I'll admit that my enclosure furnishings are often focused more on utility than aesthetics - I love a beautiful 'slice of nature' enclosure as much as anyone else, but my snakes also love weird stuff like cardboard boxes, cardboard tubes, stacked towels (they love soft things) etc. So some of my enclosure furnishings are very practical yet not so attractive. My humid hides are in that category.

For humid hides, I just make a hole in the top or side of an Iris or Sterilite plastic tub, then add a couple of inches of damp sphagnum moss. The tubs come in all sizes from the little shoebox size that is great for a hatchling or very small snake, up to larger sizes that work for my adult pythons. Plus they are light and super easy to clean. And they're inexpensive! An added bonus is that the snakes also seem to enjoy just sitting on top of them.

Photo of one of my Tarahumara Mountain Boas sitting on her humid hide. [IMG][/IMG]
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-19-2023),Homebody (09-19-2023),Ian C (09-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    ...Thanks for clearing up the humid hide information. What are your thoughts on this hide? I like that it gives near total darkness for her and with moss inside I think it would be good for that cold side, but not sure about the solid bottom, as I fear it might become a bathroom and unhealthy.

Ian
    I agree with Caitlin's post ^ ^ ^. I'd use a new* food container with the appropriate dimensions (many stores have a huge selection of these) & while darkness might seem to be a good thing for the snake, it's unnecessary, plus it's really handy to be able to see thru the foggy container to know if your snake is in there. Use an X-acto knife to cut a doorway in the top. The top is easy to remove for cleaning- that's so important, as some snakes may defecate in the moss, while others will not. And you need to periodically rinse out & refresh the moss. A solid bottom is best for a humid hide, because otherwise the moisture from the very damp moss will soak your substrate instead of staying in the hide. But that hide (the one you asked about), while nice, is not ideal for this, & way overpriced besides- IMO.

*Reason for new food container is first, they're cheap, but mostly- used ones will have tiny surface scratches that can hold bacteria, contamination & food odors- why risk it?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-19-2023 at 06:07 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-19-2023),Ian C (09-19-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12