Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

3 members and 2,949 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Help! I抦 trying my best. :(

I'm reaching out for some advice and guidance on improving the living conditions for my three beloved ball pythons. After some research, I've come to realize that my current rack system might not be the best choice for their well-being, so l've taken steps to rectify the situation. Here's where I'm at:

Current Setup:

1 currently have three ball pythons housed in a rack system. However, upon discovering that this might not be ideal, I promptly invested in three Ecoflex enclosures, each measuring 4󫎾. To provide heat, l've got an 80-watt Deep Heat Projector (DHP) for each enclosure.

Issue:

Despite my efforts, the enclosures aren't reaching the proper temperature levels. The temperature remains inadequate even after trying techniques like covering the screen tops with tin foil. When I tried placing two DHPs in one enclosure, it did get warmer, but unfortunately, it also led to excessive dryness.

Conditions:

The ambient room temperature hovers between 68-70癋. I reside in the southeastern USA, where the ambient humidity is around 40%. My goal is to create the best possible environment for my adorable snake companions.

Seeking Advice:

Given the challenges I'm facing, I need suggestions regarding both heating and humidity solutions. I'm open to purchasing foggers to enhance humidity if that's a viable option. Additionally, I've got three Inkbird thermostats to help regulate the environment.

Planned Improvements:

I'm planning to order three Arcadia Shade Dweller
    D3 7% UVB T5 Bulb + Fixture (12") for UVB lighting, which I believe will benefit their overall health.

Bioactive Consideration:

I've also been contemplating investing in Bio Dude bioactive kits, but I'd appreciate any insights from those who've tried them.

Final Thoughts:
    I genuinely want to provide the best life for my ball pythons and ensure their well-being. I'm not concerned about the costs involved; my priority is creating an optimal habitat and minimizing stress for my pets. Any advice, suggestions, or personal experiences would be immensely helpful in guiding me towards achieving this goal. Thank you all in advance for your assistance and support.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byrdman For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-27-2023),Bogertophis (08-27-2023)

Thanks

Re: Help! I抦 trying my best. :(

I have more than one question but I抦 going to start with my first one and let someone else ask the more detailed questions.

Why is your rack system not suitable for your ball pythons?
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KingPythons For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-27-2023),Lord Sorril (08-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    @ KingPythons- I see that the OP mentioned inadequate heat & humidity, & I'm assuming that the new enclosures have way more space (4'x2'x2') which is going to be even harder to heat, unfortunately.

@ byrdman- Your goal of providing the best care for your BPs is admirable, but opinions vary widely about what is "best" for BPs (& other snakes). My personal feeling is that bioactive is an over-rated enhancement, & it certainly complicates things, but that's up to you. I'm glad you're trying to research further & not just relying on a sales pitch.

Question: Have your snakes all been healthy? Eating regularly & adequately? How old are they? How shy are they? More space can freak out some snakes- especially BPs that tend to be ambush hunters with a nocturnal & low-key lifestyle, so with more space comes the need for more furnishings they can hide in & feel safe. Managing that is way more important that complicating your enclosures with bioactive, IMO. Meeting their basic needs comes first- eating, digestion, minimal stress, etc. But I know we have members here that do bioactive, so hopefully they will offer suggestions too, & then it's up to you.

Foggers tend to be more disruptive & not the best option for humidity- it comes down mostly to substrate that retains humidity, &/or providing a humid hide (w/ sphagnum moss etc.) And of course, minimizing the air flow- that's how most humidity is lost.

Every set-up is a little different- depending on your own local conditions (climate & home temps.). There isn't one right answer for everyone, as far as I'm concerned, & all set-ups require some time for testing & adjustments before a snake moves in. I remember at least one post here where someone described letting their snake explore their new home (as an "outing") well before they moved them into it permanently- in other words, letting the snake become more familiar with the new setting to reduce their stress & fear. I think that's a GREAT idea, rather than just suddenly planting your snake permanently in a totally new home they've never seen before. (And that's assuming it's a snake that's been with you for a while & accepts some handling etc.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-27-2023),KingPythons (08-27-2023),Lord Sorril (08-27-2023)

Thanks

All 3 new to me (within the last month or so). 2 are still young (like 100 grams young). The 1 male is about 14 months old. I already have the 3 4x2x2s. Do you think radiant heat panels would work better? Maybe no bioactive yet. But get the panels, new substrate, and maybe add in some moss?

Thanks

Introducing young BPs to a large enclosure can be difficult If you don't do it properly, You need to make sure there Is plenty of clutter so they feel safe and secure.
    I don't believe any enclosure Is "too big" but It can be too bare.

If you want a RHP, I would suggest looking at this thread:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ant+heat+panel

Malum Argenteum gave me great suggestions.

New substrate + moss will help with humidity. You don't need to do a full bioactive but just adding springtails can help with mold if you ever get concerned.
    Last edited by Ruby; 08-27-2023 at 06:31 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-27-2023),Bogertophis (08-27-2023),Homebody (08-27-2023),KingPythons (08-27-2023)

Thanks
    In general, young BPs do much better in small homes- that's also what their breeder used. Large new enclosures will freak out young snakes especially & cause them to refuse to eat. Sudden changes are not recommended right now for any of them, since even the older one is still new to you. Every re-homing is very stressful for snakes- they learn their way around in nature in order to survive- when their whole world changes, they don't understand where the places they knew disappeared to. It's very scary & disorienting.

I think most here use RHPs & are happy with them for enclosures. But 4'x2'x2' is way too big for these BPs right now & off-hand I'd say you have at least a year (more like 2+) to research & set-up their ultimate homes- after they grow up some.

If these 3 came from more than one source, I do hope you're quarantining them from each other?

I know how enthusiastic you are to make a really nice home for each of them- but right now, focus on getting them established- eating regularly & making sure they didn't bring any mites along. There is nothing sadder than someone putting their new snake in a beautifully furnished enclosure with thick substrate & maybe some driftwood & moss, only to discover their snake has mites and all that decor (that isn't glass, plastic, or metal) has to be thrown away. So for now (for about 2 mos. to make sure there are none), use white paper towels as substrate so you can see mites. Mites can suddenly reproduce exponentially & literally kill a snake- even though each mite is so tiny, when there's a number of them each taking a little blood from a small snake, that snake can die. Mites also are disease vectors.

And btw, we don't recommend any handling until a new snake* has fed easily at regular intervals for at least 3 times. (*of any age, but especially young ones as they don't have body weight to "spare") Snakes may seem fine (calm) with handling, but they need to be snakes first & learn to tackle their prey (even when it's pre-killed). Handling is a distraction from their appetite, & remember we're big scary giants to snakes. Snakes rely on their instincts to survive, & in the wild the only thing that picks them up is a predator about to eat them. So err on the side of caution & don't be handling them while they "settle in".

New homes are stressful, & handling is stressful, & stress impairs a snake's immune system. I like to assume they've been exposed to various disease germs before I got them (& most have), so by letting them settle in with minimal stress, they have a much better chance of fighting off what they've been exposed to & staying healthy. If a snake quits eating because of early or excessive handling, that too can weaken their immune system. Keeping snakes successfully demands patience from us- trust me, we ALL want to interact with our new pets, but it's not the best thing for them. So keep everything low key while they get stronger...ok? (But do be vigilant for mites- they're tiny & sneaky- they hide under snake scales, & also leave eggs around for the next generations. Treating for them is not easy- & is a real set-back for the snake's well-being.)

And by the way, I'm assuming this is your first snake-keeping experience? I'd rather give too much info than not enough. Just because I want you to have the best possible experience with snake-keeping.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-27-2023 at 06:41 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-27-2023),Homebody (08-27-2023),Ruby (08-27-2023)

Thanks

Thank you for all the information. Two of them came willbanks reptiles and 1 from a breeder of morphmarket. I think I will take the next 2 months and establish there forever enclosures. Leaving them in the rack system for now. They are all 3 in there own V70 tub. I won't handle them unless necessary for cleaning. I am not sure if I will go bioactive or not yet. I am just a bit overwhelmed with information and I tend to panic buy, I have caught myself wasting mass amounts of money and I just want to get it right finally.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to byrdman For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-27-2023),Bogertophis (08-27-2023),Ruby (08-27-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    Introducing young BPs to a large enclosure can be difficult If you don't do it properly, You need to make sure there Is plenty of clutter so they feel safe and secure.
    I don't believe any enclosure Is "too big" but It can be too bare.

If you want a RHP, I would suggest looking at this thread:

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ant+heat+panel

Malum Argenteum gave me great suggestions.

New substrate + moss will help with humidity. You don't need to do a full bioactive but just adding springtails can help with mold if you ever get concerned.

I forgot to say that SOME snakes won't ever get used to a large enclosure, Some just prefer smaller spaces no matter how much clutter there is. This Is usually the case with snakes who've been in small racks their entire life. I doubt your BPs will have these issues, Just thought I'd point it out.

Kinda contradicted myself on "no such thing as too big"

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruby For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-27-2023),Bogertophis (08-27-2023),Homebody (08-27-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by byrdman View Post
    Thank you for all the information. Two of them came willbanks reptiles and 1 from a breeder of morphmarket. I think I will take the next 2 months and establish there forever enclosures. Leaving them in the rack system for now. They are all 3 in there own V70 tub. I won't handle them unless necessary for cleaning. I am not sure if I will go bioactive or not yet. I am just a bit overwhelmed with information and I tend to panic buy, I have caught myself wasting mass amounts of money and I just want to get it right finally.
    This is what I was trying to get more info on. I think if you already have them establish in a rack system and the temps are good, humidity good, you got nothing to worry about. You抮e on your way to happy bp抯.
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KingPythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-27-2023)

Thanks
    And at least there's no rush to make changes.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ruby (08-27-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast