Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

2 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Ambient temperature seems to be the same in the entire tank

Image: https://ibb.co/0VXpCcm

Here's my 4x2x2 (120x60x60 cm) PVC tank. I'm using 35W halogen and 50W DHP on dimming (probes are hanging below as on picture, both like 3 inches below bulbs). Halogen is set to be on between 7 AM and 7 PM, DHP is on between 7PM and 7AM. Both are set to 92F (33 C). My problem is that general ambient temperature is kinda high - it's around 84-85 F (29-30C). Tank holds heat like crazy. Temperature in cold hide (bottom left corner) is around 80F. Could that be caused by general very hot temperature in my area right now (heat wave in central Europe, room temperature is 78F (27 C).?? Thanks for your tips

Thanks
    Thanked 19,831 Times in 11,848 Posts
    If the room your "tank" is in gets warmer, yes, it's going to be warmer in your tank also, & you'll need to make adjustments to the heat so your snake doesn't overheat & be harmed. Snakes NEED to be able to "thermoregulate"- they need both adequate warmth & to be able to cool down as needed in order to remain healthy. Excess heat can cause neurological damage & ultimately death in our pets- that's why it's essential to use reliable quality thermostats to regulate all heating devices, AND to make changes when needed.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-26-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: Ambient temperature seems to be the same in the entire tank

Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Image: https://ibb.co/0VXpCcm

Both are set to 92F (33 C).
    Point of clarity. Do you mean that your thermostats are set to 92F? Because it doesn't really matter what the thermostats are set at. What matters is the highest temp of the basking spot, preferably as measured by a infrared thermometer. If the basking temps are higher than 90F, then you can afford set your thermostats lower. This should also lower your ambient temps a little bit.

I have a problem with ambient temps in the summer too. I don't have air conditioning and it gets quite warm in the summer. I add a block of ice to the enclosure. Works great for me. My snake loves it. I also let my snake out to roam frequently. Ambient temps in the room aren't much different, but the ventilation is better.
    Last edited by Homebody; 08-26-2023 at 09:53 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Point of clarity. Do you mean that your thermostats are set to 92F? Because it doesn't really matter what the thermostats are set at. What matters is the highest temp of the basking spot, preferably as measured by a infrared thermometer. If the basking temps are higher than 90F, then you can afford set your thermostats lower. This should also lower your ambient temps a little bit.

I have a problem with ambient temps in the summer too. I don't have air conditioning and it gets quite warm in the summer. I add a block of ice to the enclosure. Works great for me. My snake loves it. I also let my snake out to roam frequently. Ambient temps in the room aren't much different, but the ventilation is better.
    Stats are set to 33 C, basking spot is 32C, ambient is around 30C. Basically my entire house is 27C right now, its 27C-29C outside too.

How do you add a block of ice inside? Care to explain? Thnx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    How do you add a block of ice inside? Care to explain?
    I filled two 1 liter plastic bottles with water and froze them. I alternate them every morning and evening. You could try it, but I doubt this will work as well for you as it does for me. My set up's very different. I put the ice in the tub, where there is no heat and not much ventilation. It still only drops the temp 5 - 10F, but it's enough.

At 80F, your cool side hide should provide some relief. Allowing your bp to roam should provide additional relief. I would also dial down the thermostat a couple degrees, just until the heat wave passes.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)