Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,324

3 members and 3,321 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Exposure to parasites/diseases

I see a lot of advice against feeding wild caught prey to bp’s because of the risk of disease, parasites, etc., but I am curious as to how much of a threat it really is. A wild snake is catching wild prey and growing up healthy into adulthood, so why is it such a concern for a pet snake to do the same?

my reason for asking is because i have a juvenile/adolescent bp who would not attract to frozen/thawed mice no matter what i tried. i have been feeding him live mice successfully for the three months i have had him. i must drive a ways to a pet store to get them, however.

today at work, i was assigned to removing several sparrow nests from the lofts of an overhang above an entryway around the front office area of the factory i work at. i recovered some living baby sparrows that will surely die regardless of what i do with them. they appear healthy, and i have them in a pet carrier container. they are perfect size prey for my snake, but the warnings about diseases and parasites have me wondering if it is too risky or if those warnings are to negate low probability outcomes.

A wild snake would eat these baby birds without thinking twice, and most likely without any negative outcomes. I would appreciate any advice or educated response with information on this topic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anson For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,189 Posts

Re: Exposure to parasites/diseases

Quote Originally Posted by anson View Post
    A wild snake is catching wild prey and growing up healthy into adulthood, so why is it such a concern for a pet snake to do the same?
    I don't think wild snakes are as healthy as you imagine. Snakes are very good at hiding their illnesses. I believe that if you took a wild snake to a vet and had it tested for parasites and diseases, it would most likely test positive.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-19-2023),anson (08-19-2023),Bogertophis (08-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I don't think wild snakes are as healthy as you imagine. Snakes are very good at hiding their illnesses. I believe that if you took a wild snake to a vet and had it tested for parasites and diseases, it would most likely test positive.
    Wild-caught imported snakes are typically treated with flagyl, both for parasites and as an appetite stimulant since they often stop eating due to stress.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-19-2023),anson (08-19-2023),Bogertophis (08-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    Wild snakes (not to mention wild prey) are exposed to very different risks compared to our pet snakes & their domestic prey.

Unfortunately, it's very hard to just look at any of these animals & know whether or not they're healthy. Though they may not be exposed to all the same diseases that ravage pet species, wild snakes typically carry GI parasites (worms) because the prey they consume as well as the ground they slither on provides many opportunities to become a host. As far as how healthy they appear to be- seldom do we get to follow them closely & long enough to get an accurate assessment of their health & resulting lifespan. Btw, one thing currently killing wild snakes is a horrible fungal disease.

I used to rescue & relocate native snakes, & to help ensure their survival in a new location, I generally kept them for a bit to ensure they were both well-hydrated & well-fed before releasing them. I'll never forget how fast one rattlesnake digested his prey- ONE DAY! (& this was my "clean" domestic rodents btw), so I suspected he had "help"; sure enough, when I dosed him for intestinal worms, he was loaded with them. (gag! poor snake!) I de-wormed him several times (dosage on the light side for safety) while he was my houseguest, & to be honest, it took a while before I felt like eating angel hair pasta. Unfortunately very few wild snakes have access to a "free clinic".

Same goes for wild prey animals. They can be exposed to any number of toxic substances dumped intentionally by people or as runoff when it rains, not to mention toxic chemicals (gas & oil) left on roadways that contaminates the environment. When wild animals are thirsty, they drink whether or not the water is clean, because they have to for survival & don't know any better. Then there's external & internal parasites spread by other wildlife & their feces, as well as other diseases.

Your snake would likely welcome these birds as a meal, but then what if he wants more, & prefers them to the prey you have regular access to? If you have to drive a ways for pet food, you probably also don't have a good exotic vet nearby (& even if you do, consider how much they cost if -or when- you need help). Is a free lunch worth the risks? Only you can answer that, but most of us choose NOT to expose the pets we love to any unnecessary risks.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-19-2023),anson (08-19-2023),Armiyana (08-19-2023),Homebody (08-19-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 843 Posts
    Also, keep in mind the area where these birds were found, if there are areas where people can be spraying pesticides or chemicals...the birds are being fed the insects being caught by mom and dad.

I worked as a veterinary technician for a while. The case I will never forget is one where I had to stop and tell my vet that she was wrong on her diagnosis.
    A dog had come in with coughing up blood, lethargic and bloodshot eyes. After taking down some info I asked about the dog's habits or any changes in diet.
    "He used to catch and eat rats. I stopped that tho. We put bait in the garage where he can't get it"

The vet diagnosed him with possibly severe kennel cough. Told me the bait was in the garage. The dog can't eat the bait.

"What keeps the rats from eating the bait and then leaving the garage?"
    Eyes wide, she ran back in the room and asked the owner about it again. We added the coagulation test to the blood work and did an ultrasound.
    The dog was bleeding internally from eating the rats that ate the poison. He was put down after the blood work came back as him being too far gone.

It's pretty easy to keep a couple rats or mice to breed if absolutely necessary. But feeding wildlife to an animal that hasn't been exposed to wild conditions is a bad idea. Especially when they're kept in a small area that can easily lead to constant re-exposure to bacteria or parasites

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-19-2023),anson (08-19-2023),bcr229 (08-19-2023),Bogertophis (08-19-2023),Homebody (08-19-2023)

Thanks

thanks, to all of you who have replied, for your input. i’m not sure what to do with the baby birds, but i’m leaning toward refraining from feeding them to my snake. my kids and i are kind of fond of the little python, and i don’t want to give him/her(?) any potentially harmful food, nor do i want to contaminate the terrarium or alter the appetite/eating habits that are currently quite problem-free and seemingly healthy of a growing snake. Especially after reading how often people experience difficulty in success and regularity with their bp’s diet and eating habits.

the free meal without a long drive initially sounded appealing, but the trip to the pet store is a fun little routine adventure for the kids and me anyway.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anson For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-19-2023),Armiyana (08-19-2023),Bogertophis (08-19-2023),Homebody (08-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts
    It's a sad situation as far as the birds- I love all creatures too. I'd try calling nearby vets to see if they know of any bird rescuers nearby, or anyone rehabbing wild snakes or other predators for release (such as birds of prey, etc). In that case, they'd be appropriate food for wildlife. And fyi, baby birds have a very low survival rate, even in the best of hands.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-19-2023 at 04:51 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-19-2023),anson (08-19-2023),Armiyana (08-19-2023),Homebody (08-19-2023),Ruby (08-20-2023)