Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

1 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

What to use to attach enrichment to glass?

Ok, I'm a first time poster and it's maybe been asked but I can't sift through all the posts to find the answer.
    I'm wanting to somehow add "perches" in my girls tank bc she LOVES climbing. She has a couple to short branches but I'm looking at getting a few longer ones that'd id be able to attach to each side. But the question I have is, what do I use to attach it with? She's currently 1400ish grams and 4 years old so I know she's going to get bigger so I also want something that'd be able to support her chonkiness. Any ideas? Her tank is a 36w x 36t x 18d front opening tank, screen top. I want to say it's the Exo Terra Extra Wide?
    Additionally, I want to try to keep the tank as light a possible bc we rent and will eventually have to move. Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    I don't have any suggestions for actually attaching to glass, but I use lots of glass tanks for my snakes & I wedge multiple branches diagonally in them, from lower left corner to high right side, & from lower right side to high left side, so the branches cross over in the middle. You can use more than 2 branches & even better if some are Y-shaped, etc. This offers maximum stability for the snake, and maximum flexibility for you when branches need cleaned or replaced, or you just change your mind.

I use pieces of covered speaker wire to "twist-tie" them together where they overlap- it's reusable, easy on & off as needed, & very cheap. You could also use zip ties but you'll have to cut them off, & that needs a sharp tool in the snake's home- so I prefer twisting wires as it's safer when working around a live animal. I sometimes attach things to the branches, such as a shallow basket as a platform for the snake to rest on- my more arboreal rat snakes love those. Again- baskets are washable, very cheap (shop in thrift stores!) & they attach (or detach) using a few multiple coated wires.

And when you want to thoroughly clean the tank, change the furnishings, or make it lighter to move, nothing is permanently stuck on the glass. Anyway, that's what I do.

BTW, 36" tall is overkill for a BP- they're not that good at climbing & it's best they don't repeatedly fall, so I wouldn't install branches as high as they'll go for that reason. Many do enjoy some options like this- but that's another reason you might not want to glue things in place- you might find out they don't use it as you expect- better to find out first.

If you concerned about the ends of the branches bumping against the glass (with a heavier bodied snake), there's various things you can do, such as coat the ends of the branches that will touch the glass with something like aquarium silicone sealant, or use a rubber tip made for chairs, or crutches, to cover the ends. (I haven't needed to do this- it's just an after-thought.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-16-2023 at 02:03 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-14-2023),peachykeen331 (08-16-2023)