Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,268

4 members and 3,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Pests in bioactive enclosure

What is everyone’s experience with pests like fungus gnats, fruit flies, mealybugs, etc when keeping bioactive enclosures? I’m thinking of going bioactive for my BP and BCI and am doing some research.

I know having tank hitchhikers is always a risk when going bioactive but what are the best methods to prevent this? Or at least keep the pest numbers to manageable levels?

If you do have unwanted guests in your enclosures does it affect the rest of your house?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    1.0 Normal ball python (Buddy)
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks
    I've had some fungus gnat problems in the past, but by adding more springtails and letting the top layer of substrate dry out, they were easy to get rid of. I've used Katchy traps which work very well, they are expensive, but they work very well. The best way to prevent those problems is to sterilize everything before adding it to the enclosure (including plants, substrate, and decor).

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-21-2023),Homebody (07-22-2023),kath_ (07-22-2023)

Thanks

Re: Pests in bioactive enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    I've had some fungus gnat problems in the past, but by adding more springtails and letting the top layer of substrate dry out, they were easy to get rid of. I've used Katchy traps which work very well, they are expensive, but they work very well. The best way to prevent those problems is to sterilize everything before adding it to the enclosure (including plants, substrate, and decor).
    I’ve heard so much great feedback about Katchy traps!

Yes, I’m going to be following a strict quarantine/sterilization process when I finally get the ball rolling. Is putting your substrate in the oven the best way to sterilize? I’ve been trying to find info about that and have come up with conflicting answers.
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kath_ View Post
    I’ve heard so much great feedback about Katchy traps!

Yes, I’m going to be following a strict quarantine/sterilization process when I finally get the ball rolling. Is putting your substrate in the oven the best way to sterilize? I’ve been trying to find info about that and have come up with conflicting answers.
    The oven would be easiest, I've heard that 300-400*F at 30-60 minutes works well.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-22-2023),kath_ (07-22-2023)

Thanks
    Fruit flies are a non issue unless you're keeping fruit in your vivarium.

Fungus gnats can find a way in regardless of initial sterility. Though I don't think a BP substrate should be wet enough for them. At least, not wet enough for them to reach pest proportions.

I think the only long term intruder in a properly set up naturalistic vivarium is the detritivore mite. Which are ubiquitous, inevitable, harmless, and probably useful.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMoyb For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-22-2023),kath_ (07-22-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoyb View Post
    Fruit flies are a non issue unless you're keeping fruit in your vivarium.

Fungus gnats can find a way in regardless of initial sterility. Though I don't think a BP substrate should be wet enough for them. At least, not wet enough for them to reach pest proportions.

I think the only long term intruder in a properly set up naturalistic vivarium is the detritivore mite. Which are ubiquitous, inevitable, harmless, and probably useful.
    What’s the best way to feed the CuC so as not to attract fruit flies? I like Repashy so far and some of the other powders but idk if this is enough to completely support them. Does leaf litter work just as well?

Haha that’s ok, some unwanted guests are to be expected. We are keeping bugs after all. Interesting, this is the first I’ve heard of that specific kind of mite. I’ll have to do some more research on them! Thank you!
    0.1 Colombian boa (Tina)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I deal with fungus gnats, though more from my isopod bins than anywhere else. A gnat catcher and mosquito bites has been helping to a degree though.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-22-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kath_ View Post
    What’s the best way to feed the CuC so as not to attract fruit flies? I like Repashy so far and some of the other powders but idk if this is enough to completely support them. Does leaf litter work just as well?
    Leaf litter/soil components are food. I also occasionally toss in a small vegetable scrap (a potato peel, a few mushroom stumps, etc). I like to think the new smells offer enrichment for the snake.

I also think bacteria and fungi are doing most of the heavy lifting in the clean up crew. And the only thing they should be cleaning up is small amounts of liquid waste and little spots of shed skin. Large waste needs to be manually removed (by you).

Bugs are cool though, and I enjoy the novelty of having some isopods and springtails in the soil. They probably help keep it aerated and I believe they are not harmful to the snake.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMoyb For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-24-2023),Homebody (07-24-2023)