Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,249

0 members and 3,249 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I mean yeah, if you really want to be literal about it people have kept all manner of creatures since time immemorial. Even with dogs no one really knows just exactly how and when their domestication was started it happened so long ago. A lot of the time it was generally species that had some type of utility such as most domesticated livestock we know today, but there have always been "hobbyists" of a sort who kept exotics; albeit more for status/power symbols than pet companionship up until the past century or so (as typically only the higher ups of society could afford the luxury of pets that had no intrinsic value).

Thanks

Re: History of Snake Keeping

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I mean yeah, if you really want to be literal about it people have kept all manner of creatures since time immemorial. Even with dogs no one really knows just exactly how and when their domestication was started it happened so long ago. A lot of the time it was generally species that had some type of utility such as most domesticated livestock we know today, but there have always been "hobbyists" of a sort who kept exotics; albeit more for status/power symbols than pet companionship up until the past century or so (as typically only the higher ups of society could afford the luxury of pets that had no intrinsic value).
    i did/do want to keep the thread broad just because i think it is easier to document/know modern snake keeping comparatively when humans relationships with snakes are much older eg: the Igbo peoples of southern Nigeria have such a respect for snakes in general and ball pythons in particular that when they see one dead they will construct miniature coffins for them and hold small funerals - additionally, BP’s are often allowed to roam about freely as they protect the villages from vermin - which to me, well for one i’ve always thought this was neat but for to, i think you could make the argument that in a way that’s like “open air” snake keeping - similarly i have heard of aboriginal groups in Australia having similar reverence for scrub pythons as they also play an integral in their belief systems as well

^which while i would be inclined to agree somewhat with your comment i don’t think, necessarily, that snake keeping would have to be restricted to just the upper classes as they can be of course wild caught and also, can provide a v useful role in the everyday life of a house hold eg: i have heard of Australian farmers keeping wild coastal carpets about to protect their chickens from predators

comparatively, this seems similar to, for example, the role cats have in middle eastern cultures i.e. they were often kept around, even if feral, because they played a crucial role in keeping other animals away from humans
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 07-19-2023 at 07:29 AM.
    het for nothing but groovy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    ... BP’s are often allowed to roam about freely as they protect the villages from vermin - which to me, well for one i’ve always thought this was neat but for to, i think you could make the argument that in a way that’s like “open air” snake keeping - similarly i have heard of aboriginal groups in Australia having similar reverence for scrub pythons as they also play an integral in their belief systems as well...
    Reminds me of a woman I know that used to live in Belize- & their home was a much more "open" construction than most of us are used to. Up in the open rafters, they had some sort of large python that took up residence (obviously keeping wild rodents etc. in check) and this is a woman who is NOT at all thrilled about snakes, I might add. But in Belize, they didn't quibble about a helpful roommate. (And I suspect that no one felt up to persuading it to leave?)

It's sad to me that much of our modern society is getting so disconnected from "the land" (nature) that they don't appreciate snakes the way many indigenous societies do & traditionally have. It's like too many are going backwards.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (07-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    i have heard of Australian farmers keeping wild coastal carpets about to protect their chickens from predators

I'm curious to know where you found this information.

Most Australians who keep chickens or other avian "pets" construct caging that will keep out almost every predator but snakes can often sneak in. Coastal carpet pythons are responsible for eating chickens, other pet birds, cats and sometimes dogs. Home owners often will co-exist with these snakes but I personally have never heard of them being "kept" intentionally to protect anything.

They are viewed as good by many because they keep invasive species from running rampant around homes but they are wild and are unreliable. As far as a pet, it (carpet python) is certainly something interesting to keep.

Long video of wild Royal pythons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbuerOmAtm0

This video is very interesting it shows the worship of the Royal python. This is likely something you would be interested in. I posted this video here years ago, but thought it would fit with this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6EmX7dYLg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    i have heard of Australian farmers keeping wild coastal carpets about to protect their chickens from predators

.....Coastal carpet pythons are responsible for eating chickens, other pet birds, cats and sometimes dogs....
    I agree, I sure wouldn't trust a wild carpet python (or any other snake that's large enough) to "guard" chickens or other edible domestic animals? LOL
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gio (07-19-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post

Most Australians who keep chickens or other avian "pets" construct caging that will keep out almost every predator but snakes can often sneak in. Coastal carpet pythons are responsible for eating chickens, other pet birds, cats and sometimes dogs. Home owners often will co-exist with these snakes but I personally have never heard of them being "kept" intentionally to protect anything.

They are viewed as good by many because they keep invasive species from running rampant around homes but they are wild and are unreliable. As far as a pet, it (carpet python) is certainly something interesting to keep.

Long video of wild Royal pythons
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbuerOmAtm0

This video is very interesting it shows the worship of the Royal python. This is likely something you would be interested in. I posted this video here years ago, but thought it would fit with this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6EmX7dYLg
    tbf i would have to do some digging because it’s mainly an anecdote from the time when i was considering a coastal carpet project however to be more clear - it was not that the snake was allowed to hangout amongst the chickens but moreso was allowed to roam around the chicken area as it fed on various animals who might either attempt to steal eggs or harm said chickens

also will def check out the videos many thanks!
    het for nothing but groovy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-19-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12