Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,940

2 members and 1,938 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Ball Python Respiratory Infection Recovery

Hi, guys.

So earlier this month, my ball python seemed to develop an overnight RI. While doing my routine morning checks, I found that he'd managed to completely empty the contents of his water dish which was absorbed by the substrate and the humidity was measuring well over 90%. As soon as I picked him up to clean everything out, I noticed some loud cracking and wheezing sounds which I instantly recognised as an RI.

I took him straight to the vets where they prescribed intra-muscular Fortum injections to be given every 72 hours. I would have rather taken a less invasive option since it was a very early stage RI, but this is what they advised. There were 7 injections to be given in total. His next and final injection is due on the 1st of next month.

After the 2nd and 3rd injection, there was a massive improvement in the form of barely any clicking and wheezing coming from his mouth and chest. He's now completely free of any/all symptoms thankfully.

He was one of the males I was planning on pairing later on in the year but I'm just wondering how safe that would be. It's something I completely forgot to discuss with the vet and this is actually my first experience with an RI so I've no idea how long these can linger without symptoms. He is absolutely perfect, good weight (about 1400g) and very energetic. It's the female I would be more concerned about. I don't usually start pairing until Nov/Dec so it seems like a decent amount of recovery time.

Anyone ever found themselves in a similar situation who could share their experience with me? The health of my animals is my number 1 priority so if this doesn't seem like an adequate amount of time, I'd rather skip this season and wait until next.

P.S. I'm sorry for the tedious read, just trying to give as much detail as possible.

Thank you,

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kesp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-27-2023),Homebody (06-27-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    If your snake stays symptom-free, I see no reason for concern that he could share this illness in the late fall. That's plenty of time, IMO. But for being so considerate for the safety of all snakes he might come into contact with.

One thing though, an "RI" isn't just one pathogen- so just in the off-chance he had something "unusual", the best person to ask is your vet that treated him, as he should know more about what specifically he had.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-28-2023),Kesp (06-28-2023)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Respiratory Infection Recovery

Thanks so much I feel it's enough time but I wanted some more opinions before I finalised anything. The stress of it all has put him off his food so I want to make sure he's back eating first.

Yeah, you're right. I should definitely speak with the vet to find out some more advice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kesp For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-28-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Oh yes, I agree that he needs to be eating well first too, as you said. I had assumed that was the case. I'd never breed a snake that's not eating, or one that only just started. All breeding snakes should be in excellent health well beforehand.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-28-2023 at 02:57 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)