Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,156

2 members and 3,154 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Will I soak them?

So my ball python was in blue two weeks ago came out and I expected a shed as they shed within a day last time but no shed now two weeks later still no shed I have two humid hides in the tank with moss and general humidity is at 67 a big water ball for them to soak in I’m just wondering what everyone else would do at this point I was thinking of taking them out and soaking them but I don’t want to stress them out they last ate 3 days ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Will I soak them?

Here in the UK it’s acceptable to occasionally ( as in this instance) to give your Royal / Ball Python a 25 minute soak . In a secure tub plus stay with the snake all the time .

It doesn’t seem to be quite as popular over in the states though .

A compromise is to give the viv a good spraying a couple of times each day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (06-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    "Congratulations" You just slowed down the shed by feeding them "3 days ago"- do not feed snakes when you know they're in shed. I'll say it again: digestion requires good hydration & uses more water from the snake's body to accomplish, & guess what? So does shedding! In order to shed properly, a snake's body secretes moisture (water) between the old & new layer- that's why a freshly shed snake-skin feels damp. Get it?

By feeding your snake you've made a stuck shed much more likely- and-or a regurgitation of this meal if the snake's stomach can't get the job done. Why? Because there's only a limited amount of hydration that's available for either task. You just made both tasks harder for your snake.

No, I wouldn't soak them right now- too stressful- but you might try misting periodically & keeping your fingers crossed. Shedding takes as long as it takes- the first thing you need when you own a snake (besides the money to buy one) is patience & understanding of snake physiology.

Remember that in the wild, snakes "in shed" do not eat. Maybe that's not just because there's no "room service"? It's because everything takes as long as it takes- & they don't multitask all that well.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-18-2023 at 12:32 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Argentum (06-18-2023),Homebody (06-19-2023),Violanna (06-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Here in the UK it’s acceptable to occasionally ( as in this instance) to give your Royal / Ball Python a 25 minute soak . In a secure tub plus stay with the snake all the time .

It doesn’t seem to be quite as popular over in the states though .

A compromise is to give the viv a good spraying a couple of times each day

I have been spraying daily with it being so hot at the moment to make sure it maintains humidity I’ve noticed that it isn’t as popular in the states

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell_1990 View Post
    I have been spraying daily with it being so hot at the moment to make sure it maintains humidity I’ve noticed that it isn’t as popular in the states

Spray well , morning and early evening .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (06-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Spray well , morning and early evening .

Thankyou

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebell_1990 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (06-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    "Congratulations" You just slowed down the shed by feeding them "3 days ago"- do not feed snakes when you know they're in shed. I'll say it again: digestion requires good hydration & uses more water from the snake's body to accomplish, & guess what? So does shedding! In order to shed properly, a snake's body secretes moisture (water) between the old & new layer- that's why a freshly shed snake-skin feels damp. Get it?

By feeding your snake you've made a stuck shed much more likely- and-or a regurgitation of this meal if the snake's stomach can't get the job done. Why? Because there's only a limited amount of hydration that's available for either task. You just made both tasks harder for your snake.

No, I wouldn't soak them right now- too stressful- but you might try misting periodically & keeping your fingers crossed. Shedding takes as long as it takes- the first thing you need when you own a snake (besides the money to buy one) is patience & understanding of snake physiology.

Remember that in the wild, snakes "in shed" do not eat. Maybe that's not just because there's no "room service"? Maybe it's because they know something many of us don't? Like how to be snakes... Unlike snakes, humans are obsessed with "timing"- you'll never see snakes with wrist watches or calendars (& not just because they don't have wrists, haha.) It's because everything takes as long as it takes- & they don't multitask all that well.
    I done a lot of research before getting my snake and still constantly research now and what has come up about eating while in shed some people do some people don’t the breeders I know do offer while in shed and they take with no problems shedding at all I didn’t offer while they were in blue while they were in clear yes I have they were hunting for food in their tank for two days before I fed them and very active is this is mistake it very well could be yes but I’m spraying the tank twice a day maintaining humidity and checking them I’m still learning and so are people who have had pythons for years I have other snakes too but I’m new to ball pythons I worry a lot about my snakes all of the time and this is something that’s worrying me Thankyou for your advice

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell_1990 View Post
    I done a lot of research before getting my snake and still constantly research now and what has come up about eating while in shed some people do some people don’t the breeders I know do offer while in shed and they take with no problems shedding at all I didn’t offer while they were in blue while they were in clear yes I have they were hunting for food in their tank for two days before I fed them and very active is this is mistake it very well could be yes but I’m spraying the tank twice a day maintaining humidity and checking them I’m still learning and so are people who have had pythons for years I have other snakes too but I’m new to ball pythons I worry a lot about my snakes all of the time and this is something that’s worrying me Thankyou for your advice

Feeding snakes in shed isn't the "end of the world"- it's usually just going to slow down both processes, & your questions have mostly indicated your impatience. I really prefer to avoid problems.

Soaking snakes- if you must- will be far less stressful if you keep the water very shallow (about half the height of the snake's body) & never force the snake to swim, lukewarm in temperature*, & with something like a towel for traction at the bottom, as it's that loss of traction that especially freaks out many snakes.

*Another reason snakes may freak out from soaking is the water temperature- I'd suggest using a reliable thermometer to make sure the water is only low 80's- NOT relying on how it feels, because that's very inaccurate. Since we're about 98.6*, many get the water way too warm for the snake because it doesn't feel warm to us until it's over our body temperature. It's very "easy" to mistakenly try to soak a snake in water that's over 90*- way too hot for them. See?

Misting is just easier, safer, & less stress for the snake. That & providing humid hides.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 06-18-2023 at 01:19 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-19-2023),Spicey (06-18-2023)