Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,275

1 members and 3,274 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Missing snake was found.. Now I have too many and need ideas!

So back in March my Cissy went missing. My daughter left her enclosure unlocked and I found it opened just hours later. Unfortunately we couldn't find her anywhere and thought one of our dogs may have gotten to her. Well today while cleaning our closet out we found her in the very back under bags full of clothes. So I got her a nice soak and cleaned her enclosure out and got her safe back home. The problem is My husband got me 2 new babies for our anniversary since i was so upset at Cissy's loss. So now i have 3 BPs and a limited space for terrariums. So I need creative ideas. These are my pets and I like them on display no bin method. Stacking could maybe be possible. But side by side for at least 2 would work better. We are very crafty so we could make something. Im just worried something with wood won't hold humidity how im used to. Feel free to spam me with links or pics or other posts!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Wood holds humidity (AND warmth) very well BUT it must be waterproofed or it will rot out, hang onto pathogens & possibly grow mold- esp. for a BP because they need warmth + humidity, the things germs love too. AND if you build out of wood, remember that most wood-finishing products are toxic to snakes & may off-gas for a long time- you want very low or no-VOC products (VOC is "volatile organic compounds"- the nasty stuff that will make your snake sick & possibly die from breathing).

I'm not into plastic "bins" either, that's why I like glass tanks (but I'm not keeping BPs). BTW- the material (wood, plastic or glass) ALL "hold humidity"- it all comes down to minimizing the air flow! People wrongly blame glass tanks, but it's really the screen tops most ppl try to use- you can customize all these options as to air-flow, so as to hold humidity- ok?

Your best bet for saving space would probably be the professionally made PVC/plastic enclosures because some of them can stack. That's great, btw, that you finally found your missing snake. You should have kept looking longer...I once had a snake get loose that brumated over winter for 6 mos. from mid-November thru May when I found her sliding out from under kitchen cupboards one happy night in late May. She (an adult bull snake) was just fine-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (06-14-2023),Homebody (06-14-2023)

Thanks

Re: Missing snake was found.. Now I have too many and need ideas!

Oh yes I know that, I had a home made fully sealed humid wood enclosure for a baby tortoise. I just meant it won't hold the way im USED to. For the tortoise i had to maintain 80%+, that would be horrible for my BPs.

Also about finding her, Where we found her was actually the first place i looked.
    Last edited by Violanna; 06-13-2023 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Violanna View Post
    ...Also about finding her, Where we found her was actually the first place i looked.
    Do tell more of that story? When my bull snake got loose, I looked everywhere & pretty much figured out where she was- but I just couldn't actually see her or get to her (ripping the cupboards out of my kitchen wasn't an option)- I hoped she'd come out in time- & she did. But those are snakes that normally brumate in nature, & she timed it perfectly- that's why she happily holed up for so long.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Violanna (06-13-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    AP T10's (48"x24"x15") are currently on sale. A stack of 3 would work just fine.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (06-14-2023),Violanna (06-14-2023)

Thanks

I was looking at those, but the 24in as my 2 new ones are still palm sized hatchlings. Im currently leaning towards those, But have only ever done glass tanks so I would need some help when it comes to safe heating. I wish they had 30in. My dresser is 60 inches so i can easily fit 2 30in. My current tank for my big girl is a 48x24x18. The babies are just in spare 10gal tanks I had for kids fish (until kids stopped caring for them)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Violanna View Post
    So back in March my Cissy went missing. My daughter left her enclosure unlocked and I found it opened just hours later. Unfortunately we couldn't find her anywhere and thought one of our dogs may have gotten to her. Well today while cleaning our closet out we found her in the very back under bags full of clothes. So I got her a nice soak and cleaned her enclosure out and got her safe back home. The problem is My husband got me 2 new babies for our anniversary since i was so upset at Cissy's loss. So now i have 3 BPs and a limited space for terrariums. So I need creative ideas. These are my pets and I like them on display no bin method. Stacking could maybe be possible. But side by side for at least 2 would work better. We are very crafty so we could make something. Im just worried something with wood won't hold humidity how im used to. Feel free to spam me with links or pics or other posts!
    I’ve stacked three vivs on top of each others no problem

If they’re wooden vivs you just have to put a couple of extra pieces of wood supports on the lower viv / vivs .. just jam a couple of small lengths of wood on the back wall ( top to bottom) then the sliding doors won’t be effected

Also heat rises so you have to have the warm /cool ends matching .. I always go cool left side and warm right side.

The temps on the higher viv / vivs will also be a tad higher than the lower ones but you can minimise that by putting separators in between each viv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Ailuros (06-14-2023),Bogertophis (06-14-2023),Homebody (06-14-2023),Violanna (06-14-2023)