Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

0 members and 3,159 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Always hiding in the cold hide

Hello!
    I've had Pretzel for about 3 weeks now and things seem to be going smoothly. He hasn't missed a meal and already had his first shed, and I hope this week I can try my luck at handling him.

The thing is he's always hiding in his cold hide, and at first I thought that he likely left to explore while I was alseep.
    This morning, after weeks of worrying that he wasn't pooping, I finally found poop, but it was in his cold hide. Now I'm worried he doesn't leave that hide afterall.

The temperature and humidity seem ok, the hot side is around 88ºF and the cold side is around 78ºF.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this something I souldn't worry about?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,186 Posts

Re: Always hiding in the cold hide

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Hello!
    I've had Pretzel for about 3 weeks now and things seem to be going smoothly. He hasn't missed a meal and already had his first shed, and I hope this week I can try my luck at handling him.

The thing is he's always hiding in his cold hide, and at first I thought that he likely left to explore while I was alseep.
    This morning, after weeks of worrying that he wasn't pooping, I finally found poop, but it was in his cold hide. Now I'm worried he doesn't leave that hide afterall.

The temperature and humidity seem ok, the hot side is around 88ºF and the cold side is around 78ºF.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this something I souldn't worry about?
    Nope. BP's are shy. There's a saying. You've probably heard it. A hiding ball python is a happy ball python. If he's eating, then he's must be basking, which means he's leaving the hide when you're not around. In time, he may feel more secure and you'll see him out exploring more often. Three weeks is not very long. Be patient. You're doing great.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Cisco (05-14-2023),mistergreen (05-14-2023)

Thanks

That's a relief to hear, I guess I have to be more patient. I hope next time he poops it wont be where he sleeps lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cisco For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-14-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    Are the cool & warm side hides identical? If not, say if the "cool" hide is smaller (cozier) or if there's more substrate in that one (making it feel cozier) that may also be why he prefers it. Just something to consider, & the reason we go for at least 2 matching hides. In general, we offer hides that aren't overly-large, with only one doorway that's also not huge, so the hides feel private.

Another reason he appears to prefer the cool side could be that the warm side is actually hotter than the temp. you've shown. Yes, your temps. sound fine- as long as they were taken correctly. What I mean by that is we're not seeing your set-up- or how deep the substrate is, & what kind of heat you're using (UTH?) etc. If the substrate is too deep over UTH, the heat can build up & actually be much hotter than is comfortable or safe for the snake in the "warm hide" so you may want to double-check your temperatures on any surface the snake may contact to be sure that's not the reason your snake is staying in the cool hide. Substrate is often pushed to the side & dug under by snakes, so when checking temps. you need to check that way also- not just on the top of substrate.

But understand too that it may be nothing wrong at all. I'm just explaining some other possibilities. And since you've only had this snake a short time, please be subtle about double-checking temps. so as not to stress him. A new snake that's eating is great, & there may be nothing at all that needs adjusting.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Cisco (05-14-2023),Homebody (05-14-2023),mistergreen (05-14-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Are the cool & warm side hides identical?
    Yeah, I bought 2 of the same hide, and they're also the same model/brand the breader used, I thought it would maybe make him feel more at ease.

I'm only using overhead heating (a DHP and a CHE), but I have a basalt rock under the DHP so he can have some under belly heat if he'd like, the rock is always between 91-92ºF. I can leave a pic of the enclosure here

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cisco For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-14-2023),Homebody (05-14-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I'd try dropping the temperature to 89* on the rock. Apart from that, it looks like a very nice set-up.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Cisco (05-14-2023),Homebody (05-14-2023)