Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,305

1 members and 3,304 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glass surfing

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

Re: Glass surfing

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebell_1990 View Post
    I’m sure it will get easier and I’ll try not to panick every two minutes haha Thankyou for advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's great that you're paying attention & wanting to know- it's just that knowing the exact reason is a vague process of elimination & good guessing on your part.

Likely reasons include hunger, looking for more suitable accommodations (more privacy perhaps, or temperatures are too warm or cool), looking for a mate (in mature snakes) & plain old curiosity. I've seen my own snakes, when allowed to explore the floor, head un-erringly to the tiny bit of fresh air coming in thru the sliding glass door that was open just a crack. When we remember how good their sense of smell is, & how much they detect in fresh air, that makes sense.

For safety, when a snake adamantly wants out, it's good to first double-check the temperatures- sometimes a probe gets moved (or other malfunction) & excessive heat can injure or kill your pet. Then consider the other possibilities. Hunger can wait a little while- but safety might not- also make sure the water bowl isn't dry -sometimes snakes spill them or do things with substrate that makes the water wick out & evaporate.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2023 at 09:41 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-13-2023)

Thanks

Thankyou so much that’s very helpful advice I went through checked all the enclosure all temps and everything I change his water every couple of days and do spot check and daily temp checks so it only came down to 3 things wanting to explore hunger or looking for a humid place to hide although since I’ve just changed his feeding to every two weeks he might still be hungry as he gets used to this but humid hide seemed to do the trick for him I’m still looking into the feeding though as he’s only 1 and a half and I’m unclear on if I should be feeding every week or 2 he’s on 70g-100g weaner rats

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebell_1990 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-13-2023)

Thanks

Feeding every week or every 2 weeks works for the human calendar, but snakes don't get hungry on schedule, nor do they understand schedules. Many snakes do well being fed every 10 days- in other words, a week & a half...see? If you need a reminder, it's easy to mark it on your calendar, & if you miss a date, remember that wild snakes don't find food on schedule either- ie. a rigid schedule isn't necessary or natural. However, having some idea of when your snake fed last helps to keep from OVER-feeding them, which is more common than "not enough".

I'm not going to advise you on what your snake should be fed right now, as I don't weigh prey items, & I no longer keep BPs (I have in the past). I go by how the prey looks (size in relation to the size of the snake) because I've been keeping snakes for many years. But many snakes (of all kinds) that are 1 1/2 years old do well being fed roughly every 10 days. (Remember I'm not seeing your snake- & I'm assuming he's not overly-thin or on the heavy side.)

BTW, since you just changed his feeding from every one week to every two, the most likely reason he'd be glass surfing is hunger.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-13-2023 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks

Thankyou again for the advice I will try him on every ten days in case that’s better for him and see how he goes with that I’ve compared prey size to body aswel and it’s about right if anything maybe very slightly bigger than him but not by much at all

Thanks

Thankyou again for the advice I will try him on every ten days in case that’s better for him and see how he goes with that I’ve compared prey size to body aswel and it’s about right if anything maybe very slightly bigger than him but not by much at all

Actually, prey that is slightly smaller than mid-body (or equal to) is preferable & would be my goal, instead of "slightly larger than".

Thanks

Ohhhhhhh :0 ok I’ll have a look at the ones I have and get a smaller one

Thanks

Ohhhhhhh :0 ok I’ll have a look at the ones I have and get a smaller one

And just to be clear, you don't have to throw out what you have- I'd just go a couple days longer between meals while using them up. See? And an occasional variance (either way) is no big deal either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bluebell_1990 (05-13-2023)

Thanks

Thankyou for all your help I won’t throw them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12