Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

1 members and 3,343 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Rhp vs dhp

Thanks

Rhp vs dhp

Hey guys, been reading on here a while. Just finished Ragnar my (Ive had him 12 years and he was full grown when I got him) BP background for his 4x2x2 Dubia Roaches enclosure

I thought I did quite a bit of research on the heating source. (I will be putting a HDPE 4x2 Sheet on the top due to it being a screen top.) I purchased and PH1220 85W RHP from Bob at pro products. Now that the background has cured fully, I've been playing with he temps. I can't seem to get a gradient. The panel appears to heat the entire ambient temp to within a few degrees. I have the panel mounted almost all the way on the hot side and mounted short ways to hopefully help with the gradient but it doesn't appear to be working.

Would it be beneficial to somehow add in a DHP from Arcadia on the hot side to aid in keeping the hot side about 10* hotter? Currently the hot side is 84 and the cool side is 81. I am still in the tinkering stage of this set up.

No substrate has been added. Hot side temps read by Accurate therm/hygrom and cool side measured by biodude them/hygrom on a villa thermostat. and all are reading within a 3-4* difference.

No substrate is in the enclosure yet. (Currently have the ZooMed Jungle Mix ready to go in. Once I can figure out these temps. Thanks for the help.

I am in Texas and my house is usually 74-75* (All temps listed are in *F)
    Last edited by thebeard89; 04-18-2023 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Re: Rhp vs dhp

Pics would help. This thread will show you how: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (04-18-2023)

Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/0Rq8kBA

Sorry about having to click a link

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebeard89 View Post

Would it be beneficial to somehow add in a DHP from Arcadia on the hot side to aid in keeping the hot side about 10* hotter? Currently the hot side is 84 and the cool side is 81. I am still in the tinkering stage of this set up.

No substrate has been added. Hot side temps read by Accurate therm/hygrom and cool side measured by biodude them/hygrom on a villa thermostat. and all are reading within a 3-4* difference.

No substrate is in the enclosure yet. (Currently have the ZooMed Jungle Mix ready to go in. Once I can figure out these temps. (All temps listed are in *F)
    Putting the substrate and hardscape and hides in, and then dialing in temps and moisture levels, is the better way to proceed. Substrate holds heat, evaporation from substrate moves heat around, hardscape holds heat, hides trap heat, hardscape/hides block heat, heat dries substrate, and so on.

Also, measuring temps with an IR gun is somewhat more accurate and way more effective than stationary thermometers (can measure 20 spots in 30 seconds, rather than one spot with a 10 minute recovery time after moving the thermometer, then closing the enclosure and waiting for temps to stabilize).

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (04-19-2023),Bogertophis (04-19-2023),GoingPostal (04-19-2023),Homebody (04-19-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,867 Times in 4,781 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thebeard89 View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/0Rq8kBA

Sorry about having to click a link
    Bear in mind that the closer something is to the RHP the warmer it will get. I would leave the heat setup as is and put a perch or shelf under the RHP with a hide setup on it as part of the decor, and adjust the object height so it creates a spot about 88*F as read by a point thermometer. That will give your snake a place to bask.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-19-2023),Homebody (04-19-2023)

Thanks

I did buy a temp gun as well. Before installing substrate, hot spot floor was 96* and cool side floor was 88*. I moved the probe for the thermostat and installed the substrate. Just have to tinker with it.