Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,231

0 members and 3,231 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Bioactive enclosure

So, I'm thinking I want to set up a bioactive enclosure for my ball python. I know there's the issue of their heavy bodies with plants, so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations? The website I'm looking at recommends these: https://www.thebiodude.com/collectio...ter-plant-pack but has a large collection of other tropical plants as well: https://www.thebiodude.com/collections/tropical-plants

Also, their website says that their bioactive substrate does not need a drainage layer, but I'm not sure if I should trust that...

In general, if anyone has any experience with a bioactive setup for their ball python and has any tips (or if anyone thinks it's a terrible idea in general lol), they would very much be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TayKiren; 04-16-2023 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts

Re: Bioactive enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by TayKiren View Post
    (or if anyone thinks it's a terrible idea in general lol)
    What is it that you're trying to accomplish with the "bioactive" enclosure that you're not accomplishing now?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,840 Times in 11,852 Posts
    I've never tried bioactive, but from what I understand- it works better for small creatures like small lizards or tarantulas- you still have to clean up after a snake, & snakes will mangle most plants too. I personally don't see any point to the extra effort for a snake's enclosure, but that's just my 2 cents. Why complicate things? On it's own- for a small terrarium & the right sort of small creatures- bioactive sounds interesting though. I personally don't have time for it, but more power to you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-16-2023 at 08:11 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Can Bioactive Setups be Successful with Fake Plants?

This may not answer your question directly, but I've been doing all my research first and found this one deep in the husbandry section. I'm not trying to talk the OP out of doing anything, but its very helpful concerning bioactive for BP's. And I can can assure the people answering know what they're saying. Its a good read. If you're using a heating Matt underneath though, you don't want that drainage layer. I don't know if that was said in the OP. Also, from experience with frogs and over 20 years with gecko's, sellers are in the business of selling!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistergreen For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-17-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-16-2023)

Thanks

I have a bioactive for my leopard gecko and just really like the look of it (espcially the live plants) as opposed to my others. It was definitely more effort in the beginning, but is less now. I still plan to spot clean, I do that even with my gecko, but not having to throw out all the substrate and replace is it a bonus, too. I'm planning on getting an eight foot cage. I also like that it's more "natural", even though I know the animals may not care and you can keep them perfectly fine either way.

Last edited by TayKiren; 04-16-2023 at 09:20 PM.

Thanks
    I am seriously considering adding vines to my future cage myself. I think some type of actual plant growth is good for humidity and I get having as natural of an environment as possible.

Thanks

Yeah, that too! I would likely use a lot of moss, which is supposed to hold humidity.

Last edited by TayKiren; 04-16-2023 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TayKiren View Post
    I have a bioactive for my leopard gecko and just really like the look of it (espcially the live plants) as opposed to my others. I still plan to spot clean, I do that even with my gecko, but not having to throw out all the substrate and replace is it a bonus, too. I'm planning on getting an eight foot cage. I also like that it's more "natural", even though I know the animals may not care and you can keep them perfectly fine either way.

If a person likes the look of live plants in an enclosure, and the enclosure has the extra room, has lighting both appropriate for the plants and also ideal for the reptile ('ideal' since any deviation from ideal conditions for the animal simply to attain a certain look isn't good husbandry), then plants can be added (presumably ones that the animal gets some distinct benefit from, so not 'assorted 4 inch plants'). That's not "bioactive", though. Neither is naturalistic substrate and hardscape "bioactive", even though both those things can have tangible benefit for certain species in certain situations. And on almost every definition the web offers of "bioactive", a leopard gecko enclosure isn't one since the way people keep leos in captivity is too dry for waste to get processed, and waste management is the central tenet of "bioactive".

It is best to be very clear on what the goals are from the POV of the animal, and what means best accomplish those goals without unwanted side effects. Unfortunately this is rarely the case in "bioactive" enclosures, since these are often simply purchasing an ill-conceived "package" (which refers both to the plant and supply packages the vendor you linked above markets, as well as the package of hand-waving claims that "bioactive" frequently entails), assembling all the components, adding animal and stirring well.

All this (and what I say in that linked thread above) is a wordy way of suggesting that no one buy into the "bioactive" marketing, but rather figure out what their animal needs and provide it.

For reference, I have 15 enclosures that a person might call 'bioactive' and keep about 50 herps in other ways -- so rather than thinking one husbandry methodology is good for all species (which "bioactive" proponents frequently claim), I try to learn about a species and then provide for their needs in the most foolproof way possible.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2023),GoingPostal (04-17-2023),Homebody (04-17-2023),plateOfFlan (04-16-2023)

Thanks

I do think that my gecko's enclosure is better than his previous one, and that he has been doing well in it, but what would the unwanted side effects be? And why are the plants from that website bad?

Thanks

It looks like a lot of philodendron, peperomia, etc, which are all plants that grow in shade in rainforests in Central/South America. They do well in dim light and make great houseplants, and are cheap to source, but they have nothing to do with the ball python's native habitat, which is the African savannah and mostly acacia trees and grasses from what I can tell. I've never seen or heard of a bioactive using grasses, I assume there must be some good reason for that, but the plants on offer here are because they're cheap and easy to care for, not because they're giving any benefit to your snake.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-18-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-17-2023)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast