Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

5 members and 3,324 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Question Large racks for ball pythons?

The age old question: racks.

I've been considering getting into breeding ball pythons for a couple of years now, especially since there are very few people in my country who breed the morphs I'm interested in breeding. My main concern would be space. A lot of posts on racks on here are pretty old and potentially outdated.

I've found tubs that are 100x80x35cm(approximately 40x32x14 inches).
    That's 0.8 square meters floor space, or about 65 gallons/260 quart. 130cm/50 inches on the diagonal.
    Would they be sufficient for an adult ball python?

Additionally, what would the best way to go about heating be?
    Last edited by luckylukey; 04-16-2023 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,834 Times in 11,848 Posts
    I'm not a user of racks (or tubs) so I'll let others address that part, but they ("racks") all seem to use heat tapes in specially-designed tracks & (of course!) using a thermostat.

The size you describe sounds adequate for an adult BP.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-16-2023),luckylukey (04-16-2023)

Thanks

Re: Large racks for ball pythons?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm not a user of racks (or tubs) so I'll let others address that part, but they ("racks") all seem to use heat tapes in specially-designed tracks & (of course!) using a thermostat.

The size you describe sounds adequate for an adult BP.
    Thank you! I don’t know if heat tape is available here, would a heat mat serve the same purpose??

Thanks
    Yes, heat mats could be used also (regulated by t-stat). I don't know if Reptile Basics is available in Sweden, but this is what many use: https://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape (notice the instructions they give for installation too)
    Likewise, this is a good source, if available where you are? https://beanfarm.com/collections/heating

By the way, I'm a huge user & fan of Flexwatt- that's mostly what I use, & have used, for decades. And you'll notice that Flexwatt & similar products on those sites come in several widths. It can be cut to whatever length needed. For large operations, the product sold on rolls is very cost-effective.

What brand of heat mats are you thinking about? Some are more problematic than others- And I'd advise against using the kind that stick on.

Another option might be using the heat cables used to keep water pipes from freezing. Many years ago, I hooked one up to a t-stat for a custom cabinet enclosure I did- it worked very well.

I'd imagine those are available where you are, as are heat "mats" made for farming use (aka "pig blankets") and those used to keep whelping quarters warm for dog breeders. (< which I've also used in the past)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-16-2023 at 11:05 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-16-2023),luckylukey (04-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 423 Posts
    Flex Watt is simply rebranded floating floor heating film (made by Calorique, which is primarily a floor heat system manufacturer). Contrary to a lot of belief, it isn't a specialty product (though the widths marketed for reptile use are indeed special). I assume there are heated floors in Sweden (I'd guess even more so than in the US), so such products probably exist there in a width that would be suitable for that size tub. It might also be that there are some North American vendors of Flex Watt that would ship overseas.

A heat mat that is the appropriate size (about a third of the footprint of the tub, in a room where the ambient temp doesn't get too low) would indeed work. Individual heat mats are expensive, and the wiring is messier (more cords), but the thin film ones are exactly the same sort of material as Flex Watt and would work exactly the same.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2023),Homebody (04-16-2023),luckylukey (04-16-2023)

Thanks

Reptile basics don't ship here unfortunately, but the other website you linked with the flex tape seems to!

How do you go about installing heat tape for a rack? Would it be something like this? (excuse my drawing skills lol) https://imgur.com/a/ar0vFnQ

Looking at either Habistat, Reptizoo or Exotic Life if i were to get heat mats. I've mostly been using lamps and heat panels before so I'm not sure which brand would be best. And the heat cables, would it be better/safer to get a reptile brand one, or is it essentially the same thing as the ones for water pipes(just without the brand names)?

Thank you so much for all the info and help!
    Last edited by luckylukey; 04-16-2023 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luckylukey View Post
    Reptile basics don't ship here unfortunately, but the other website you linked with the flex tape seems to!

How do you go about installing heat tape for a rack? Would it be something like this? (excuse my drawing skills lol) https://imgur.com/a/ar0vFnQ

Looking at either Habistat, Reptizoo or Exotic Life if i were to get heat mats. I've mostly been using lamps and heat panels before so I'm not sure which brand would be best. And the heat cables, would it be better/safer to get a reptile brand one, or is it essentially the same thing as the ones for water pipes(just without the brand names)?

Thank you so much for all the info and help!
    Cool, I'm glad that 'BeanFarm' is available for you- funny name for a reptile supplier, isn't it? I suspect the land they bought was originally a farm. I've bought from both of those companies- both are good.

Re your drawings- yes, roughly (assuming the tape is going under the tubs). You can search various rack systems to see how they do it- as I said, I don't use them & never have- BUT you want to make sure the tubs aren't sliding right ON the heat tapes- it should be recessed a little where they are installed to prevent that, & also for the minimal REQUIRED air gap (for safety)- as I said, thoroughly read the installation instructions for Flexwatt etc.- & then read them again. Proper design is always better than fixing stuff later. (Inadequate air gap can cause heat tapes to fail from overheating- which is also dangerous!)

I've never used a heat cable sold for reptile use- depending on brands, the ones sold for plumbing purposes might (?) be higher quality, but there may also be important design differences too? I've only used a cable for plumbing, & only for one custom enclosure- never had an issue. They come in various lengths & wattages. READ the specs.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-16-2023 at 12:45 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

luckylukey (04-16-2023)

Thanks

Cool, I'm glad that 'BeanFarm' is available for you- funny name for a reptile supplier, isn't it? I suspect the land they bought was originally a farm. I've bought from both of those companies- both are good.

Re your drawings- yes, roughly (assuming the tape is going under the tubs). You can search various rack systems to see how they do it- as I said, I don't use them & never have- BUT you want to make sure the tubs aren't sliding right ON the heat tapes- it should be recessed a little where they are installed to prevent that, & also for the minimal REQUIRED air gap (for safety)- as I said, thoroughly read the installation instructions for Flexwatt etc.- & then read them again. Proper design is always better than fixing stuff later. (Inadequate air gap can cause heat tapes to fail from overheating- which is also dangerous!)

I've never used a heat cable sold for reptile use- depending on brands, the ones sold for plumbing purposes might (?) be higher quality, but there may also be important design differences too? I've only used a cable for plumbing, & only for one custom enclosure- never had an issue. They come in various lengths & wattages. READ the specs.
    okay, thank you so much again! This has been super helpful

Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 423 Posts

Just to clarify, since a recommendation was made: Giovanni told me he and Paula sold Bean Farm about a year ago. So, same 'company' but different owners now. Might make a difference, might not.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Flex Watt is simply rebranded floating floor heating film (made by Calorique, which is primarily a floor heat system manufacturer). Contrary to a lot of belief, it isn't a specialty product (though the widths marketed for reptile use are indeed special). I assume there are heated floors in Sweden (I'd guess even more so than in the US), so such products probably exist there in a width that would be suitable for that size tub. It might also be that there are some North American vendors of Flex Watt that would ship overseas.

A heat mat that is the appropriate size (about a third of the footprint of the tub, in a room where the ambient temp doesn't get too low) would indeed work. Individual heat mats are expensive, and the wiring is messier (more cords), but the thin film ones are exactly the same sort of material as Flex Watt and would work exactly the same.
    Gosh, I've used Flexwatt for decades but I've never heard of "Calorique"- I wonder what year they came into the picture? My understanding was that Flexwatt was originally used in greenhouses to warm the roots of plants starting up, but it got "re-discovered" for reptile use, & that made the original source of Flexwatt nervous about their liability for safety with "off-label" uses of their product. (I'm wondering if that's when Calorique bought them out?) Anyway, I've never had any complaints or safety issues with Flexwatt- mine has held up ridiculously well for many (!) years.

As long as you install it as indicated, & don't cause any damage to it. (I had one piece fail after it accidentally got bent during a long distance move. That's the sort of thing you need to prevent- & also avoid overheating w/ proper installation.)

To the OP- A few thoughts. I would avoid the individual "heat mats" for the same reason as above- expensive & messy wiring.

Also, if the room/house is kept on the cool side, you might need to heat 1/2 or 2/3 of the tub floor for adequate warmth, since BPs need to be pretty warm to stay healthy, & also be able to thermoregulate (have options). I think what might work best for you is to have 2 separately-controlled continuous Flexwatt tapes running under each tub- in warmer weather, use only one as needed- or if both are needed even then, one could be set higher than the other so there is a good range of temperature: 1/3 unheated (essential for safety!), then 1/3 heated moderately (27-29* C. -middle of tub) & the last 1/3 being warmest (about 32* C.). Something to consider, anyway. And 2 thermostats w/ 2 tapes would be safer; t-stats can fail too- so make sure you buy a quality brand- it's worth if for safety & reliability in the long run. You'll have to test this out, obviously, before any snakes move in. You might also want one wide heat tape (middle?) and one narrow one for the warmest end?

There's more than one way to make a groove (low area) in wood for the Flexwatt to sit in so it's not damaged by abrasion (tubs sliding over it). Not everyone is handy with a router tool- though some places you can rent one (or borrow?). An alternative is to laminate pieces cut to fit on either side of the Flexwatt track location to achieve the same thing- just so the tubs don't slide directly on the Flexwatt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Just to clarify, since a recommendation was made: Giovanni told me he and Paula sold Bean Farm about a year ago. So, same 'company' but different owners now. Might make a difference, might not.
    Thanks- it's been a while since I've bought from them. I hope they stay as reliable as they always were. They carried good products.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-16-2023 at 08:22 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

luckylukey (04-16-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-16-2023)