Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

5 members and 3,327 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Help, low humidity

Hello! I've posted a few times about getting ready to have my first ball python, and hopefully it'll be this week IF I can get the humidity right.

I have the enclosure set up, on the cold side I'm getting 77.5ºF with a humidity of around 70%, I think Im pretty happy with that.
    The hot side on the other hand is driving me nuts, I have it at 83.5ºF but the humidity is like 40%, sometimes lower. I have a big water dish on that side, and I'm using coconut husk. What can I do to raise the humidity?

Thanks

Re: Help, low humidity

I'm no expert when it comes to snakes and their cages, but it would probably help others who are the experts to know what kind of heating you are using.
    It could be that you need more time to get the tank going before you get a snake. It may need to be sprayed everyday, maybe multiple times, to build up humidity. Yourcage may need to be sealed better to hold in the humidity. It could be your substrate is still too dry.

Thanks
    I have a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure, an 80w DHP on the hot side, and a 150w CHE on the cold side.
    I wet the substrate before using, but since I'm a first time owner Im not yet sure what is too little or too much, maybe I didnt wet it enough with fear of future scale rot issues, I'll look into it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,188 Posts

Re: Help, low humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
    Hello! I've posted a few times about getting ready to have my first ball python, and hopefully it'll be this week IF I can get the humidity right.

I have the enclosure set up, on the cold side I'm getting 77.5ºF with a humidity of around 70%, I think Im pretty happy with that.
    The hot side on the other hand is driving me nuts, I have it at 83.5ºF but the humidity is like 40%, sometimes lower. I have a big water dish on that side, and I'm using coconut husk. What can I do to raise the humidity?
    I think you're probably fine. Your bp has access to the humidity that it needs. If you don't have one already, I'd add a humid hide. They help a lot of BP keepers manage less than ideal humidity.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)