Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,309

1 members and 3,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

How many heat sources?

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a 48x18x18 vivarium made from MFC wood and I'm not sure about my heat sources. I live in the UK so not the warmest climate! I won't be looking to actually get any sort of snake until the late summer months but our winters can be pretty cold.

Would I need 2 heat sources in this size viv? Initially I was looking at getting an RHP to use overhead but I've been assured by a friend who keeps snakes and other reptiles that a heat mat under the tank and a CHE will be fine.

Initially I wasn't keen on using a CHE as I was worried about maintaining Humidity levels, but again I've been assured that I just need to mist the tank a bit more.

And would I need some sort of heat source on the cold side of the tank to maintain ambient temps??

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: How many heat sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiejade138 View Post
    Would I need 2 heat sources in this size viv? And would I need some sort of heat source on the cold side of the tank to maintain ambient temps??
    No one can tell you for sure. You need to set it up, test it, and make adjustments. Fortunately, you have enough time to do that. RHPs are highly recommended because they provide heat without lowering humidity. Ball pythons like it hot and humid, so I suggest you use an RHP. If you think a CHE would be cheaper, keep in mind that they are essentially light bulbs and they need to be replaced. RHPs last for years. In the long run, they are the cheapest option as well.

Will you need another heat source? I imagine that you will, but I would set up and test the RHP first.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2023),Sophiejade138 (04-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts
    It also depends on how cool you keep your house (or the room where the snake will be). The cooler it is (whether in a cold winter, or if using air conditioning in a hot summer) the harder it is to keep a snake's home warm enough for a ball python. Heat naturally rises up & out of any enclosure, & remember that's true for the room as well, so don't have the enclosure near the floor where it's colder- higher up is best (but obviously near the ceiling wouldn't be practical for you, lol).

It sounds like you should plan on using 2 heat sources in the winter (& just leave one off until it's needed), but as homebody said, we cannot tell you for sure- testing is required, because everyone's situation is different- we have NO way to know how cool your home is or will be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me caution you about your choice of enclosure- I wouldn't advise buying or using anything made of MFC wood for all these reasons:

1. It's NOT moisture resistant- & BPs need fairly high humidity. Moisture will make MFC fall apart & become expensive trash. This is why it's also not recommended for use in kitchens & bathrooms. In time any moisture will make it sag from it's own weight.

2. MFC is very heavy (awkward for you), & but also easily damaged- like just from drilling into it for installation of heat sources- it chips easily & won't retain repairs.

3. It's vulnerable to heat- it's made of wax & resins holding it together that could also be flammable as the enclosure is heated all the time; MFC "dries out" & becomes more of a fire hazard. You mentioned the probability of needing to add heat on the "cool side"- using UTH could be unsafe, sooner or later, w/ MFC.

4. Some of it is now made that's formaldehyde-free, but not all of it is- and you don't want your snake breathing such chemicals that off-gas for years- it's bad for you too, incidentally. I'd avoid buying anything made from this stuff, honestly. (But that's me.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-16-2023 at 01:00 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-16-2023),Sophiejade138 (04-16-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Here are a couple recent threads where we discuss setting up a 4x2x2 melamine enclosure in a cool room:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...t-my-enclosure
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...t-temperatures.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-16-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-16-2023),Sophiejade138 (04-16-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It also depends on how cool you keep your house (or the room where the snake will be). The cooler it is (whether in a cold winter, or if using air conditioning in a hot summer) the harder it is to keep a snake's home warm enough for a ball python. Heat naturally rises up & out of any enclosure, & remember that's true for the room as well, so don't have the enclosure near the floor where it's colder- higher up is best (but obviously near the ceiling wouldn't be practical for you, lol).

It sounds like you should plan on using 2 heat sources in the winter (& just leave one off until it's needed), but as homebody said, we cannot tell you for sure- testing is required, because everyone's situation is different- we have NO way to know how cool your home is or will be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me caution you about your choice of enclosure- I wouldn't advise buying or using anything made of MFC wood for all these reasons:

1. It's NOT moisture resistant- & BPs need fairly high humidity. Moisture will make MFC fall apart & become expensive trash. This is why it's also not recommended for use in kitchens & bathrooms. In time any moisture will make it sag from it's own weight.

2. MFC is very heavy (awkward for you), & but also easily damaged- like just from drilling into it for installation of heat sources- it chips easily & won't retain repairs.

3. It's vulnerable to heat- it's made of wax & resins holding it together that could also be flammable as the enclosure is heated all the time; MFC "dries out" & becomes more of a fire hazard. You mentioned the probability of needing to add heat on the "cool side"- using UTH could be unsafe, sooner or later, w/ MFC.

4. Some of it is now made that's formaldehyde-free, but not all of it is- and you don't want your snake breathing such chemicals that off-gas for years- it's bad for you too, incidentally. I'd avoid buying anything made from this stuff, honestly. (But that's me.)
    Thanks so much for the info, I wasn’t aware of this regarding MFC! I’ll definitely consider these points and perhaps lean more towards a PVC enclosure. The MFC tank I was looking at apparently is made with “very low formaldehyde content” , so not completely free of it.

I’ll test, test and test with regards to the heat sources and see what works best!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiejade138 View Post
    Thanks so much for the info, I wasn’t aware of this regarding MFC! I’ll definitely consider these points and perhaps lean more towards a PVC enclosure. The MFC tank I was looking at apparently is made with “very low formaldehyde content” , so not completely free of it.

I’ll test, test and test with regards to the heat sources and see what works best!
    With the size enclosure you're looking for, were you aware of how heavy this (MFC) stuff is? (Have you seen it in person, or were you relying on info. online to order it?) Lighter weight is a real plus for the PVC type enclosures- being able to move them around- plus the material itself isn't affected by moisture. While the "melamine" outer layer of MFC resists moisture, it's all the edges & any part that gets damaged, scratched, has modifications (drilled for screws etc), or corners where the sealant leaks. All types of enclosures have pros & cons- you want to make sure you'll be happy with what you buy, and that it will hold up for a long time so you don't need to replace it.

P.S. Anyone who's been reading my comments here for a while will know that I'm also not a fan of PVC enclosures- at least not for anything that I keep. But between the options considered by the OP, I think the PVC option is a far better choice for the reasons given. (& to be clear, both the MFC & PVC are guilty of some "off-gassing" ) For one thing, most of you will move residences in the future- I'd encourage you to see & feel the MFC enclosures in person, then consider the fun of moving them, & without damage- understanding that time & usage (with humidity) may not have been kind to them prior to moving. PVC really seems to be a better investment.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-17-2023 at 10:30 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-16-2023),Sophiejade138 (04-17-2023)