Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,312

3 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: ASFs keep dying

Thanks

ASFs keep dying

1,5 week ago I bought 16 ASFs 4M/12F I also bought appropriate mice feed and black sunflower seeds and dried mealworms in addition of feeding them fresh meal worms

However, upon transferring the ASFs from the travel container into their lab bin. I saw that one ASFs was on the brink of death and it died the same day. I take good care of my little buddies, and 1,5 week later the death count is 6. What the heck is happening!?

Why are they dying like flies, look I do not care if a few drop when I have a colony going or whatever, but right now I’m just starting out and actually need to get my first litter to keep it going. But with the massive death rate I facing right now. I wondering if I will see my first litter.

I’m aware that there is a possibility that a few drop, but 6 within a time span of 2 weeks! That can not be normal, or is it? I’m not aware of their age, but I weight one and it was around 30gr/1.05oz I will add a picture, based on the weight I assume they are around 1,5 month old.

Link of screenshot:

https://ibb.co/Q9B046G

Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-06-2023 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Sorry, I have no experience with ASF's (lots with rats, mice & hamsters though). That sounds fishy to me- like they're not really healthy to start with. Very sad & frustrating. Hopefully others that have raised ASFs will have input.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-07-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    There's an older thread here that suggests ASF are actually highly territorial with each other. Also the possibility of them preferring pellets in the cage and not on the screen

I haven't worked with them myself so sadly the only other things I would assume are just like mice and rats, highly susceptible to pneumonia especially when stressed and keep them off of cedar or pine shavings. Pine pellets are okay, but shavings have too much oils.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-randomly-died

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-07-2023),Homebody (04-07-2023)

Thanks

Re: ASFs keep dying

Are you familiar with 'Osafe premium scientific bedding'
    Here is an link of the product an some additional information. I could not find out whether or not, it's made of pine or cedar.

https://safe-lab.com/safe_en/products/bedding.php

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMars For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-07-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMars View Post
    Are you familiar with 'Osafe premium scientific bedding'
    Here is an link of the product an some additional information. I could not find out whether or not, it's made of pine or cedar.

https://safe-lab.com/safe_en/products/bedding.php
    Which version are you using? I looked at site- it says their products use "selected natural raw material: poplar, aspen, cellulose, corn cob"

I don't think any of those ingredients would be dangerous, unless they're EATING it- & I'm thinking perhaps the corn cob would be appealing? & could cause blockages in their GI tract?

As I said, I've no experience with ASFs, but this could explain it. What's on your package labeling???

I looked again under "premium scientific bedding" & they also use "Spruce" in some formulations. What did you buy? I think spruce might be iffy?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 04-07-2023 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 421 Posts
    " I saw that one ASFs was on the brink of death and it died the same day"

Sounds like something unrelated to your husbandry. I used to sell live feeder mice to a pet store, and the store had one other regular breeder. I grew mine out a bit before selling them, but the other breeder did not, and his looked "weak" and dropped in the way you describe. Mice weaned just a little too early do poorly, and I presume ASFs do too.

I used to breed a few ASFs. It was long enough ago, and not such a positive experience, that I don't recall many details. I kept pairs in 10g fish tanks and fed them dog food (I've improved my feeder rodent care by now -- tubs and lab food -- but I don't mind admitting past shortcomings), and they did just as well as mice or rats. Kind of nasty critters, but that's not related to your current issue.

Without a slew of details, it would be hard for anyone so say conclusively what's going on. Too hot/cold, ventilation issues, moldy food, animals mishandled in transit, cages too small -- anything, really. There is usually more than one way of keeping any animal species well, but a nearly infinite number of things that can be the cause of problems. Perhaps the breeder you got them from would be the best person to send all the info that could possibly be relevant, and photos of everything, to see if they have any input.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-08-2023)

Thanks

There is no label or ingredient information on the package. I will contact the manufacturer.

Link of picture of the substrate:
    https://ibb.co/nztQw2V

Ps. Could you answer my other question in the Dm conversation.

Thanks

"Without a slew of details, it would be hard for anyone so say conclusively what's going on. Too hot/cold, ventilation issues, moldy food, animals mishandled in transit, cages too small"

Temperature was 15.5C/72F, a few days ago I placed infrared mates under the lab bins. It's climbing, right now it's 18C/64.4F. Hope it will reach 21C/70F or higher.

Food is good, I got lab blocks, veggies, black sun flower seeds, dried mealworms and fresh mealworms.

Got 4x XL lab bins, 58x38x18cm/22.83x14.96x7.08inch

Link of picture of a bin:

https://ibb.co/XDrJRjX

I think that it's stress related due to relocation and new environment.
    Last edited by MikeMars; 04-08-2023 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMars View Post
    There is no label or ingredient information on the package. I will contact the manufacturer.

Link of picture of the substrate:
    https://ibb.co/nztQw2V

Ps. Could you answer my other question in the Dm conversation.
    I believe I answered all your pm questions.

Thanks

Yes you are right, somehow I missed the notification, thanks