Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

2 members and 2,822 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

Unhappy Not Eating Suddenly?

Hey guys. So the last probably 2 months, most of my ball pythons have just decided to stop eating. I'm not really sure why this would be, but I'm starting to worry about it. I have offered them food every other weekend and one or two will eat and the others won't.
    I also have two hognoses and a retic, and they eat consistently every weekend. All housed in the same room and same snake rack.

Temps on warm side are around 91-94 F and cool side is usually about 74-76 F. Humidity in the room stays around 40-45% but I mist their bins when they are going into shed, and that's always worked fine. They have 24/7 access to water, a hide, and some fake plants in each bin for some decoration.

I have had most of them for a year+ and there were no issues, everyone ate consistently until recently. Could it be the season? Is there something I should do or try to get them eating again? None of them are losing a lot of weight but I'm buying food and it's going to waste all the time, should I just not try feeding them for a bit?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Your humidity is kinda low for BPs- 50-55% would be better, with 65-75% during shed; humid hides are also a very helpful option- especially if you can't get the overall humidity high enough.

My guess it's the season, for the most part. If you're offering every 2 weeks, wait 3 weeks instead (& then 4 if need be); less wasted food, & less stress for them. BPs can be very frustrating as they're fairly prone to fasting, but any snakes that sense "winter" may refuse food for a while. You might also try increasing the day length (hours of "daylight" in the room with artificial light) to make it seem more like spring, since snakes take cues not only from temperatures but also day length so they know when to fast in winter.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (04-05-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-05-2023),StargazerSnakes (04-05-2023)

Thanks

Re: Not Eating Suddenly?

During the winter it is particularly rough with humidity for some reason, it's easier for me to get higher average humidity in the spring and summer and even the fall. During most of the year it usually is close to 50% on average. And thanks. One of my ball pythons eats pretty regularly which is good but I won't offer food for a little while to the adults and see if that helps. They aren't overweight from what I can tell but maybe I'm wrong and I'm sure that can be a contributor to it if they are.

I have only ever had one ball python last year decided to stop eating during the winter and so when everyone started fasting this year, I was worried that I did something wrong and they were sick or something, so it's good to know that it is likely just the season and not to worry yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts

Re: Not Eating Suddenly?

Quote Originally Posted by StargazerSnakes View Post
    During the winter it is particularly rough with humidity for some reason...
    It's not your imagination- I assume your home or apartment is heated, & it's that heat that automatically causes a lot of humidity to disappear.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I don't keep any of my snakes in racks so I don't know if that influences things - but I have to say that your warm side temps are significantly warmer than the warmest temperatures my snakes - including my Royal python - prefer (with the exception of my sand boas).

Generally they all seem to prefer hanging out on the cooler end (about 78F), occasionally choose hides or perches in areas of their enclosures that are about 82-84F, and rarely bask at 90-91F. This is describing snakes in large enclosures with basking shelves, climbing branches, multiple hides, and multiple 'micro climates' to choose from so I may be describing a situation that is not at all relevant to a rack environment.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-05-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-05-2023)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I'd drop your hot side a few degrees and raise your cold side similarly, temps are a bit off, might be the issue. Triple check all those temps with a temp gun.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-05-2023),Caitlin (04-05-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts
    Keep in mind that room ambient RH of 40% at 70F (so, a dew point of 45), the RH in the tub at 76F is 33%, and at 90F is about 20%. This is the "humidity disappearing" thing (though it doesn't actually disappear, it is simply relative to the temperature).

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-05-2023),Caitlin (04-05-2023),Homebody (04-06-2023)