Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

0 members and 3,323 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Question BP Weight Loss Plan

For a little while now I’ve noticed my ball python gaining weight and flab. I originally took this issue to another source where I was reassured it was typical and no concern, but it’s progressed and after looking at some charts I’ve determined him to be overweight. As expected, I’m trying to get him back to a healthy body condition.

Currently he (male, 3yrs old) weighs 1284g. He’s on a diet of one small rat every 14 days and has lots of enrichment and climbing surfaces in his 4’x2’x2’ enclosure. One area I know can be improved is how often I handle him to get him moving.

Even with increased handling frequency (careful not to stress him out), I was wondering about changing his feeding frequency. I see an interval of 14 days as a recommendation most places, but as frequently as 7 days (such as this forum’s sticky post) or as infrequently as 21 days.

Is there any risk of malnutrition if I extend his feeding frequency to 21 days if I monitor his weight alongside his body condition?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,186 Posts

Re: BP Weight Loss Plan

Quote Originally Posted by DJKFOUR View Post
    For a little while now I’ve noticed my ball python gaining weight and flab. I originally took this issue to another source where I was reassured it was typical and no concern, but it’s progressed and after looking at some charts I’ve determined him to be overweight. As expected, I’m trying to get him back to a healthy body condition.

Currently he (male, 3yrs old) weighs 1284g. He’s on a diet of one small rat every 14 days and has lots of enrichment and climbing surfaces in his 4’x2’x2’ enclosure. One area I know can be improved is how often I handle him to get him moving.

Even with increased handling frequency (careful not to stress him out), I was wondering about changing his feeding frequency. I see an interval of 14 days as a recommendation most places, but as frequently as 7 days (such as this forum’s sticky post) or as infrequently as 21 days.

Is there any risk of malnutrition if I extend his feeding frequency to 21 days if I monitor his weight alongside his body condition?

Any help is appreciated.
    Please clarify. What was the diet that got him fat? One small rat every 14 days or were you previously feeding more frequently or larger prey?
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

To clarify, he’s been on a diet of one small rat every 14 days. While he was juvenile I was feeding more frequently, but I’ve been following feeding charts and switched to 14 day intervals once he stopped growing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJKFOUR For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-18-2023),Bogertophis (02-15-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    You're not alone in questioning the sticky feeding chart on this site. I don't see a problem with lengthening the time between his meals, now that he's an adult, & if you're sure he's actually overweight. I don't think I'd jump right from intervals of 2 weeks to 3 weeks- you don't want to go too far the other way- & btw, it's very hard to get a snake to slim down once they gain too much weight, either thru reducing food or by increasing "exercise"- because their bodies are designed for fasting.

I'd probably go with feeding every 17-18 days for a while, & offer nothing when he's in shed. (-if you were feeding at that time?) Many keepers have shared that adult male BPs do best on a diet of small rats, but there's some variation in how "small rat" is defined, & I'd imagine some snakes may also have a little different metabolism than others have.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-18-2023),dakski (02-16-2023),Homebody (02-16-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You're not alone in questioning the sticky feeding chart on this site. I don't see a problem with lengthening the time between his meals, now that he's an adult, & if you're sure he's actually overweight. I don't think I'd jump right from intervals of 2 weeks to 3 weeks- you don't want to go too far the other way- & btw, it's very hard to get a snake to slim down once they gain too much weight, either thru reducing food or by increasing "exercise"- because their bodies are designed for fasting.

I'd probably go with feeding every 17-18 days for a while, & offer nothing when he's in shed. (-if you were feeding at that time?) Many keepers have shared that adult male BPs do best on a diet of small rats, but there's some variation in how "small rat" is defined, & I'd imagine some snakes may also have a little different metabolism than others have.
    Thanks so much for the information and advice. I'll see how he responds to 17-18 days and keep an eye on his weight and behavior. I haven't been offering during shed for the simple fact that he always refuses. Might as well save him and I both the stress.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DJKFOUR For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-16-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DJKFOUR View Post

Currently he (male, 3yrs old) weighs 1284g. He’s on a diet of one small rat every 14 days.........Any help is appreciated.
    I don't know if this is any help, But here is a comparison for you...

I just had "Hal" (Standard, Normal Ball Python) at the vet (SEAVS) yesterday for his final checkup after a minor surgery, He is 4 years old, confirmed male by them, he weighed in at 1580 grams,

they said he had very good body shape (not overweight), and was healthy. He is also on a diet of 1 small rat (58g to 68g) every 14 days.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-17-2023),Homebody (02-17-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    I feel like the charts do need a bit of an update. At least a blurb somewhere on body condition or even including a body chart.

As far as for particular snakes...
    The weight can be very subjective. Photos would be the best judge.
    For example... I have a male that weighs 2200g. He's not overweight but most might balk at that number. He eats small rats every 2-3 weeks.
    I'm 5'10... he's a big boy.

Another thing to consider is because of how these animals are built for fasting as mentioned above, are the signs you seeing actually fat? Some of my males will hold onto waste until the back end looks like a big ol sausage. If I wasn't aware of that snake's habits, it could be confused for something else.
    Also, weight will flux depending on the season as well so definitely keep a close eye on any animal that you try to manage the weight on.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-18-2023),dakski (02-21-2023),EL-Ziggy (02-18-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023),Malum Argenteum (02-18-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I don’t consider a 3y/o, 1300g BP to be overweight. A small rat every 2 weeks seems like a reasonable feeding schedule, but you can scale him back to every 3-4 weeks if you want him to be leaner. Either way is fine. I prefer my snakes a bit more robust. I think Armiyana’s BP looks great!
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 02-18-2023 at 04:00 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-18-2023),dakski (02-21-2023),Homebody (02-18-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I don’t consider a 3y/o, 1300g BP to be overweight. A small rat every 2 weeks seems like a reasonable feeding schedule, but you can scale him back to every 3-4 weeks if you want him to be leaner. Either way is fine. I prefer my snakes a bit more robust. I think Armiyana’s BP looks great!
    Agree with robust.