Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,288

1 members and 3,287 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

How long will a 30x20x8 inch enclosure last a young ball python?

How long will an enclosure of this size last a young ball python until it needs to be moved to a larger enclosure? As in, what age will they be approximately when this is necessary?

30x20x8 inches or 80x50x20cm.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    First off, snakes grow at their own rate- depending on how often & how much they eat.

30" x 20" is quite large for a hatchling & would probably take at least several years for a BP to outgrow that, if not for the 8" height, which (IMO) is too low for any BP other than a hatchling (for maybe up to 6 months). Obviously I don't know the orientation of your enclosure (access & ventilation) but by the time you add substrate & hides, that is a very low ceiling, & might easily be a safety issue for the snake, depending on how you're heating it. It's hard to answer this without really seeing it.

In the past, I've used a couple enclosures that were 12" high & I hated them because the side-opening doors (which were much less than 12"- roughly only 8" or 9" at most- sorry, but I'm working from memory) were awkward for me to reach in & clean adequately, or reach in for the snake, for that matter. (And I'm not a large person either, btw.) If this enclosure of yours fully opens on the top (which I very much doubt) that would help you with maintenance, but would still be awfully low for the snake- even snakes that don't climb much like to stretch up & climb around some, & a low ceiling invites nose or head rubbing & injuries to their face (that tend to turn into abscesses requiring surgical removal because snake "pus" doesn't drain- it's solid, not liquid).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (01-08-2023),Homebody (01-08-2023)

Thanks
    My minimum for all my reptiles is the 36x18x18 - this is roughly what my bp lived in for his first year and a half before graduating to a 4ft x 2ft x 18in animal plastics cage. This allows for extra hides and more of a gradient as well as plenty of exercise room should they want to use it. Everyone else was upgraded to 4ft x 2ft x 12 in animal plastics cages once they were adults (leopard geckos, I only have the one bp).

I have been told that this amount of space isn't really needed for ball pythons and that hatchlings can be especially prone to feeling too open, so if you go the bigger route you have to make up for that, giving them 5 or more hides, lots of clutter to hide under and around, etc. And in my opinion, if I had a female bp - the 4ft x 2ft x 18in would seem a smidge tight. That is my preference, and not something most keepers have the set up for, but I'd like 5ft x 2fr x 2ft for a large female.

My male is seven years old and just over 5ft, about 1600g.

I'd says start with the biggest that you can afford that will be suffice for up to two years that you are also confident that you can maintain properly. Most of the AP cages have a significant wait time and are not cheap. Having room to grow now also allows you to save up for something bigger
    Last edited by Crowfingers; 01-08-2023 at 12:53 PM.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-08-2023),Homebody (01-08-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: How long will a 30x20x8 inch enclosure last a young ball python?

Quote Originally Posted by luckylukey View Post
    How long will an enclosure of this size last a young ball python until it needs to be moved to a larger enclosure? As in, what age will they be approximately when this is necessary?

30x20x8 inches or 80x50x20cm.
    I'm going to assume that this is a plastic storage bin. I googled those dimensions and the only terrarium with an 8" height that I found was a critter keeper. I searched for storage bins and found some 56 quart storage bins that had those approximate dimensions.

I kept an adult male bp in a 48 quart bin for a year, before it started injuring itself by pushing. So, I'd guess you've got until he's about 36 - 40 inches. When I got my bp, he was an adult, so I don't have a guess as to how long it will take for your bp to reach that length.
    Last edited by Homebody; 01-08-2023 at 12:58 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-08-2023)