Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,632

1 members and 2,631 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Registered User snakelovingrannie's Avatar
    Thanks

Jackson not feeling well?

I have had Jackson for almost a month now. He has been doing great...he's got a good appitite and is really active. He is about 6 months old. I am problably just worring unnecessarily, but for the past 2 days he has stayed in his hide and doesn't want to come out. That is very not like him. I checked on him this morning and picked him up and he didn't crawl around on me like normal. I put him back in his cage and he slowly crawled to his hide on the wam side and curled up. He isn't breathing odd or making any noises when he breaths. He has not shed since I have had him....Could this be what is going on??? Should I wait a few days or make an appointment and take him to the vet? There is a reptile vet about 1 1/2 hour drive from us. Thank you for listening and for your advice to a new snake mom. OH, how long does it normally take a snake to shed ...if that is what is going on with him???
    2.0 Ball Python (Jackson and Lee)
    1.0 BCI (Beauregard)
    0.1 Golden Retriever (Belle)
    1.0 Dachshund (Oliver)
    4.0 Cats (Riley, Benjamin, Henry Elliot)
    0.1 PET mouse (Squeaky)

Thanks

Re: Jackson not feeling well?

DD stays in his hide most of the time, and only comes out on feeding day. When I first got him, he would rarely go in his hides. Now that he is accustomed to his home (which took about a month), he does what balls normally do, which is lay around in his hides most of the time. BP's are nocturnal, so they are more active at night, during the day they are not normally active. Try not to handle him during the day. Maybe he is just settling in to his environment. Don't stress him by takign him to the vet, unless you haven't already, in which case it is always wise to get him checked out and have a fecal done.

As far as the shed is concerned: are his eyes milked over, has his belly turned pink? The shedding process starts with a pink belly and then the eyes go milky white, once the eyes clear they usually shed within a day or two.

Hope this helps
    Dawn
    1.0 Child - Cody
    1.0 BP - DareDevil (DD)
    1.1 Dogs - Buddy & Musket
    2.1 Cats - Jynx, Gus & Outdoor Cat
    1.0 Rabbit
    1.0 Hermit Crabs - Bruce Wing
    0.0.1 Skunk under porch - Pepe
    1 Sister, 1 Bro-in-law - Marianne, Donnie
    2 Nephews, 1 Niece - Jon, Gabe, Kyliegh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Talking Re: Jackson not feeling well?

Is his eyes looking cloudy? If you can not see his pupil clearly then he is in shed.It doesnt sound like anything to take him to the vet so relax .When they go into shed the hide since they are unable to see.Young ball pythons are allready nervous and going into shed is even worse as they think everything is going to eat them.Keep us posted
    Joe Haggard

Registered User snakelovingrannie's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you!!!! His eyes are not a milky color, but they do look a bit cloudy and he jumped when I touched him this morning which he normally does not do. He is probably going to shed....I guess I am just a worrying mom...Thank you for easing my mind...Have a great day and a happy new year.....
    2.0 Ball Python (Jackson and Lee)
    1.0 BCI (Beauregard)
    0.1 Golden Retriever (Belle)
    1.0 Dachshund (Oliver)
    4.0 Cats (Riley, Benjamin, Henry Elliot)
    0.1 PET mouse (Squeaky)

Thanks

If he's jumpy and his eyes are murky, or pale blue, then yes, it sounds like shed. Be sure to boost your humidity up to help him out. Ppl around here have said 60-70% during the shedding, or at least make sure his water is full enough to allow him to soak to help get the old skin off.

Even with my routine and touching/vibrations & Snoopy being VERY friendly and calm all the other times, she gets very touchy/jumpy during shed when she can't see.

Good luck!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06