Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,407

1 members and 3,406 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Hot Shot no pest strips

Hey Guys,
    I had a mite issue a few months ago. Everything was seemingly going well then the mite came creeping back. Which is not uncommon I know. I wanted to go with the most natural, unharmful route. Been using the dawn dish soap. Also got that spray I think natural chemistry that dehydrates the mites, both methods took care of the mites that day, but I think they may be hiding out around the enclosure and getting back in. So I ordered PAM and want to try that as well. But one thing I was willing to try since I didn't have to spray it on the snake itself is the hot shot pet strips. My concern, has anyone heard of a snake getting neurological issue from the strips?? I know to remove the water, I read the mite eradication 101 here on the site. Some say to put the strips in the enclosure in a tiny container and some just hang the strips. I just want to know if there are any known effects it has on the snakes health. Also would like to know if it would be safe to use around other reptiles?? What about amphibians? I have a frog in the snake area. I know if you have tarantulas or feeders not to use them around them as well. I have heard snakes have died from someone using moth balls, so I am super paranoid about these kind of things. Thank you to anyone in advance if they have any information on this.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,835 Times in 11,849 Posts

Re: Hot Shot no pest strips

Quote Originally Posted by JJpeep View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I had a mite issue a few months ago. Everything was seemingly going well then the mite came creeping back. Which is not uncommon I know. I wanted to go with the most natural, unharmful route. Been using the dawn dish soap. Also got that spray I think natural chemistry that dehydrates the mites, both methods took care of the mites that day, but I think they may be hiding out around the enclosure and getting back in. So I ordered PAM and want to try that as well. But one thing I was willing to try since I didn't have to spray it on the snake itself is the hot shot pet strips. My concern, has anyone heard of a snake getting neurological issue from the strips?? I know to remove the water, I read the mite eradication 101 here on the site. Some say to put the strips in the enclosure in a tiny container and some just hang the strips. I just want to know if there are any known effects it has on the snakes health. Also would like to know if it would be safe to use around other reptiles?? What about amphibians? I have a frog in the snake area. I know if you have tarantulas or feeders not to use them around them as well. I have heard snakes have died from someone using moth balls, so I am super paranoid about these kind of things. Thank you to anyone in advance if they have any information on this.

Pesticides (whether moth balls or "NO PEST" strips) are all toxic & capable of killing your herps & amphibians etc. DO NOT USE MOTH BALLS ever, on snakes for mites or any other reason. And as far as I know, PAM is not used ON the snake either- Only on the tank/enclosure. Do NOT leave amphibians etc. in the same room when using PAM or NO PEST strips, etc.

The idea of putting (just a PIECE of, by the way) the "NO PEST" strip in a small "cage" of some kind that is suspended in the enclosure is to prevent the snake from actually ever touching it. They can absorb even more of it thru their skin & that would likely be fatal. Just breathing it is bad enough. It should also be used for a limited amount of time- best I recall*, 8- 12 hours max, then repeated once more after a while. (best I recall, after 5-7 days?)

*I'm happy to say it's been literally decades since I've had to deal with any snake mites. There weren't other options years ago when I got a snake with mites, so I'm familiar with the "NO PEST" strip method- I had no negative side effects for the snake I treated (10 hours, using 1" piece suspended in a wire "cage" with reduced air-flow in the tank during treatment) & the mites did not recur. (I also did another 8 hours treatment after about 5 days to make sure, best I recall.)

Yes, using too much of a "NO PEST" strip can cause neurological & liver damage & death. I would not use that plus PAM- if you've ordered PAM, stick with that & follow directions EXACTLY. (PAM is also dangerous- deadly- to snakes if not used exactly as directed.)

Sorry to hear the gentler methods (soak w/ drop of dishsoap & Natural Chemistry) didn't work. But at least they reduced the mites so they didn't further damage or kill your snake- they could have, otherwise.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-19-2022),GoingPostal (12-20-2022),Homebody (12-19-2022),JJpeep (12-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,862 Times in 4,780 Posts
    I wouldn't use a no-pest strip around amphibians as they're a lot more delicate.

I have used a no-pest strip, just put it in the snake room and closed the door overnight, so about 8 hours. No snakes suffered ill effects, but it did greatly help with the mite issue.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2022),GoingPostal (12-20-2022),Homebody (12-20-2022),JJpeep (12-20-2022)

Thanks

Thank You guys. I still really am nervous about using the PAM. I really don't want to. But I also want to get rid of this nasty things. I don't want to over use the natural chemistry. It says you can use every three days and not directly after shedding etc. I went more days in between because I was afraid I would use too much and kill the snake. I am really afraid to use the no pest strips too. Can I soak him in water more often than once a week? I was trying that. But I didn't want to over due that either and also stress the poor guy out. I just really hate the idea of pesticides. Hopefully y'all understand that. I have had a few old school breeders that told me to spray the PAM all over and the mites would be killed. But we have other reptiles, birds, amphibians, children and us in the house. I really don't even use a lot of chemicals myself or medicines. So forgive me if I sound like a chicken for not wanting to use nasty chemicals. I keep reading in articles though that there is no way to get around it if you want to kill the mites. So it has be really nervous. Thank You all again for the responses and for listening.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JJpeep View Post
    Thank You guys. I still really am nervous about using the PAM. I really don't want to. But I also want to get rid of this nasty things. I don't want to over use the natural chemistry. It says you can use every three days and not directly after shedding etc. I went more days in between because I was afraid I would use too much and kill the snake. I am really afraid to use the no pest strips too. Can I soak him in water more often than once a week? I was trying that. But I didn't want to over due that either and also stress the poor guy out. I just really hate the idea of pesticides. Hopefully y'all understand that. I have had a few old school breeders that told me to spray the PAM all over and the mites would be killed. But we have other reptiles, birds, amphibians, children and us in the house. I really don't even use a lot of chemicals myself or medicines. So forgive me if I sound like a chicken for not wanting to use nasty chemicals. I keep reading in articles though that there is no way to get around it if you want to kill the mites. So it has be really nervous. Thank You all again for the responses and for listening.
    Snakes don't much like soaking but you can do that every day- I sure did, while getting rid of the nasty mites. It's safe & doesn't hurt anything but the mites. Just remember- shallow water only, just a drop or 2 of soap is ALL you need to break the surface tension of the water so the little buggers drown instead of floating or swimming laps around your snake. Luke warm water & full supervision for 20-30 minutes.

I've never used Natural Chemistry but it's NOT a pesticide- it's just dehydrating for the mites- and if I had a snake with mites right now, I'd sure be using that. If you're using it according to their directions, I believe it's perfectly safe. It wasn't around years ago when I had the 2 new snakes with mites- neither was "PAM". Natural Chemistry is a much safer option than the pesticides, but if you let the mites keep multiplying, then you're stuck using the stronger remedies.

Mites can truly kill a snake, & they can also carry diseases, so the sooner you eradicate them, the better. You need to clean around the enclosure really well too- keep vacuuming & make sure to empty the vacuum outside (mites can probably survive being vacuumed). Keeping the enclosure clear of places where mites can hide or lay eggs is critical- they have new generations about every month- that's why you want to use white paper towels for substrate just for the time being- so they show up. And that's why you need to get rid of anything made of wood (tunnels, branches, etc.)

Believe me I understand how you feel about using the stronger chemical remedies- read the instructions thoroughly a few times first- make sure you understand & ask questions before using.

I grow organic tomatoes & I don't use any pesticides around my home or garden, with one exception- wasp/hornet spray, for the rare times they build a condo in my fence & sting the heck out of me when I cluelessly open the gate. Taking over my home gets a declaration of "war" from me, lol- but that's the only exception, & it's just a spot application that's very effective. I have lots of bees around, we get along fine.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-20-2022),Homebody (12-20-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-20-2022)

Thanks

I have been soaking his enclosure with hot water and dawn. His water in hot water. While I soak that snake in the water and dawn in a different holding area. He has been on paper towels for the last couple months. Many people have suggested that I don't spray the natural chemistry on him. That I put it on a towel and let him crawl through. I actually think the reoccurring problem is because of the eyes. He had a lot on his eyes. You can't spray the natural chemistry on the eye or nose area. I tried wiping with a Q-tip with warm water a few times. He actually sits very well for me, like he knows I am trying to help. I know the mites are a problem and I don't want to see anything happen to him over some stupid bugs. But I do fear the safety of him due to nasty chemicals. I think I am going to resort to soaking him 20 mins everyday. That may do a whole of difference for the issue. I just won't do it when he is digesting a meal. He still is eating like a champ and not having a lethargic issue. Don't want it to get that far either. I have PAM coming in the mail. I will use only if I feel I can't combat this any longer with just the other two methods. Thanks Again for listening and for the advice. I really take it to heart.

Thanks
    I agree that a snake's eyes are a problem when it comes to mites- soaking won't help that either, it's not like you can dunk his head- & no, don't spray his face either. Sometimes you can wipe them off with a damp tissue or Q-tip, but those wretched mites really hang on. Both the soaks & Natural Chemistry are good methods with the least harm, but also might not get 100% rid of the mites.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 424 Posts
    Organic grower here too, in the garden, lawn and fruit trees. Sometimes, though, "natural" methods are ineffective and worse put focus organisms at risk because of their lack of effectiveness. I think a person should use the safest product that actually works, and natural products are not always even the safest option.

Provent A Mite is really, really safe when used according to label directions. Pemethrin (the active ingredient) is very stable on surfaces once it has dried, and only the bugs that crawl on it get exposed. It has good residual effect, so continues to kill mites that return. Dermal absorption in reptiles could be expected to be very low (it is low in humans, and we don't have scales). It is safe enough that it is impregnated into human clothing for tick and other insect prevention, and even used in shampoo for lice elimination.

It is pretty dangerous to amphibians, though (since they absorb it through their skin), so either remove the frog from the room or take the snake's enclosure out of the room to spray it and don't bring it back into the room until the PAM has dried.

Organophosphates such as the dichlorvos in No Pest Strips have a far worse safety profile, and are "a major cause of animal poisoning".

Mites are a serious health problem and should be addressed very aggressively, in my opinion. Maybe not so critical if there are no other snakes in the collection, though they might be a disease vector to wild snakes in certain situations.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-20-2022),Bogertophis (12-20-2022)