Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,230

2 members and 3,228 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: RI onset time?

Thanks

RI onset time?

hey everyone! i was wondering about how long it takes for and RI in bp's to progress? i'm pretty sure my little guy has one

He's making squeaking noises will every breath and sometimes makes popping noises- i think it came from inconsistent humidity levels. otherwise he's acting completely normal and eating well (he just did 4 days ago). he is 2 and half years old

I first noticed very slight squeaking every so often beginning two weeks ago and since then he's only started the popping noises in the last couple days. it's definitely not normal for him, but it seems like 2 weeks is a really long period of time for an RI to get going? is it possible that he doesn't have one bc of this+symptoms? i wouldn't know, so i thought i'd ask!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    I don't think there's any exact answer for this, mainly because every creature's immune system is their own- some work better than others at fighting off an illness or infection. Have you considered that this may NOT be an RI? By that I mean, have you checked in his nostrils since his last shed? BPs shed the outer lining of their nostrils along with the rest of their shed, but if they get stuck, those little bits of old shed can cause noisy breathing, popping or whistling- & so can water or other debris in their nostrils (or some combination). Pity they cannot blow their noses, eh?

What are the temps in the enclosure? Depending on how warm your BP already is being kept, sometimes raising the temps (cool end & warm end) by a few degrees can help them fight off an RI- but don't raise them to an unsafe level, obviously, because you don't want to fight an RI only to cause a heat injury or burn.

Do you have a local vet in mind that's well-qualified with herps? If not, this may help you locate one: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

coryo (12-18-2022),Homebody (12-18-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-18-2022)

Thanks

Re: RI onset time?

actually in his last shed about a month ago, he had a bit left in his nostril but i managed to get it out soon after. its totally a possibility that there was a bit left though, thanks for helping me remember that haha

his tank is 80 on the cool side, 86 on the warm side and basking spot is about 90. after inspecting him i upped the thermostat 2 degrees with the same idea in mind.

really hoping it is just a bit of shed or dirt in there. also thanks for the link!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to coryo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-18-2022)

Thanks
    Usually 90* is the highest we recommend- a degree or 2 more may still be safe but make sure you double-check the temperatures where the snake can touch.

I hope it's just residual shed in his nostril- what humidity are you keeping him at? When the humidity is too low, that might cause this issue. Raising the humidity might help, in that case.

Keep an eye on him- and IF he does get worse (open mouth breathing- bubbling-struggling to breath- restless), get veterinary help quickly because snakes cannot really cough- they can drown (choke to death) on secretions from an RI. Hoping for the best though.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-18-2022 at 12:16 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

coryo (12-18-2022),Homebody (12-18-2022)

Thanks

Re: RI onset time?

its 90 after adjustments but i'm definitely keeping a close eye on it in the next couple days and will change accordingly!

where i live its been dry, like 30-40%, but i'm managing to get it at around 60 in the tank. it's been difficult keeping it up though because the heat lamp evaporating it all :/ the last couple weeks i've been testing out putting wet rags on the top of the tank (a safe distance from the lamp) and it seems to be at least keeping some moisture from escaping.

i'll be supervising him well. thanks for the well wishes

Thanks
    Usually the best ways to raise the humidity is either by using a substrate that holds humidity, or by providing a "humid hide" (with very damp sphagnum moss inside), or both. If you at least offer a humid hide, it keeps the humidity in the hide pretty well, it just won't raise it in the whole enclosure, but at least the snake can seek out the higher humidity as needed.

That's probably what's going on with your BP- he's been too dry & his nose didn't shed completely. 55-60% humidity is okay for most of the time, but when a BP sheds, many find it really helps to raise the humidity to 65-75%. Using damp towels on the top really won't do much, because the heat rises, & the humidity on the top is going away from the enclosure/tank, not really into it.

If you're using a tank- you have to realize that the only way you'll keep humidity IN the tank where it's needed is by greatly reducing the air flow, to mimic how the plastic/PVC enclosures for snakes are designed- with very few holes for ventilation. It's the air flow that pulls the humidity out- so if you cover most of the screen top with something that air cannot flow thru, that should help you keep the humidity up. People use all sorts of things- foil or plastic wrap, etc. Cardboard will pick up moisture, so that's not a good choice- but a piece of tile board or plexi would work.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-18-2022),Homebody (12-18-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-18-2022)