Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

2 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.

Thread: Scale rot??

Thanks

Exclamation Scale rot??

Thanks for clicking.

Last night I noticed some new spots on my BP's belly pictured here: https://imgur.com/a/PldKCga which I believe might be early/minor scale rot though there are quite a few of these smaller spots. I see no redness, raised scales, or blisters, just these "chips" and brown edges. This came as a surprise to me as I, if anything, have been struggling to keep humidity up. With the changing seasons, lately I get 55% humidity aside from when I mist his enclosure in the afternoon when he's asleep. From my research I read that this might also come from scale trauma due to rough surfaces in the enclosure, but he hasn't had any issues with any of his decor since being in this setup for about a year now. I was hoping someone may be able to tell me if this is in fact scale rot??

In precaution I purchased some Betadine 5% spray last night and did my first soak with him, which he absolutely hated. I put him in some warm water with the Betadine and let him soak for 20 mins. The 10:1 ratio I was reading online produced some VERY dark water, a far cry from the "light tea" look I was seeing elsewhere so I diluted it to somewhere in between. I then dried him off with a towel. Going through the process, despite all my reading, I did have some questions if this does turn out to be scale rot:

1) Dilution. As mentioned a 10:1 water to Betadine turned out very dark. I'm also using a 5% Povidone-iodine version of Betadine which complicates things more. What's the right dilution for my 5% Betadine? He's already turned pretty yellow after one soak somewhere in between.

2) Soak time/frequency. I have read soak times anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes as frequent as once every 2 days to twice a day. What's with the large gaps? How often should he be soaking and for how long?

3) Drying him off. I followed instructions that said to just dry him off with a towel, but others say to rinse him with clear water after. What's better, towel or rinse first?

4) Neosporin. Once again, some information says that Neosporin is a beneficial topical antibiotic to help, but other sources say that since it's oil-based it can cause more complications with scale rot. Is there any truth to that? If I'm applying Neosporin do I need to take any other precautions such as offering him water under supervision to prevent accidental ingestion via accidental Neosporin in the water if he decides to go through it?

5) Treatment duration. I understand that I should be treating him as such for 2-3 weeks and then by the time he sheds he'll have started to replace the damaged areas. Is this timeline correct? He should be due to shed soon. Regardless, is 2-3 weeks of treatment sufficient?

Today I plan on sterilizing his enclosure as a further precaution and setting him up on newspaper. He'll also have any rough decor removed and I'll revisit what goes back in after he's healed. I'm going to continue what I'm doing until I get responses. Until then, thanks for your support and guidance.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Re: Scale rot??

Quote Originally Posted by DJKFOUR View Post
    Last night I noticed some new spots on my BP's belly pictured here: https://imgur.com/a/PldKCga which I believe might be early/minor scale rot though there are quite a few of these smaller spots. I see no redness, raised scales, or blisters, just these "chips" and brown edges. This came as a surprise to me as I, if anything, have been struggling to keep humidity up. With the changing seasons, lately I get 55% humidity aside from when I mist his enclosure in the afternoon when he's asleep. From my research I read that this might also come from scale trauma due to rough surfaces in the enclosure, but he hasn't had any issues with any of his decor since being in this setup for about a year now. I was hoping someone may be able to tell me if this is in fact scale rot??
    I don't see anything here that looks like an infection, so I wouldn't treat him for one. I do see slightly chipped scales, so I would search his enclosure for any rough hard surfaces that may be causing it and remove them.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-14-2022),Bogertophis (12-14-2022),DJKFOUR (12-15-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-14-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 843 Posts
    Out of curiosity, are they due for a shed? It could just be the older scales flaking away and leaving the edges frayed to pick up debris.

It doesn't look like scale rot or a burn. Just some damage to the edges of the scales and dirt.

As for the medical stuff, I dilute iodine until it is fairly light color. If you do leave it on without rinsing (not a bad idea for the first treatment or two for an actual wound issue) then you should take out the water bowl temporarily. The issue with leaving it on is if they soak in the water dish, or even just drinking, the iodine can leech from the skin and into their drinking water. Also, it isn't too bad of an idea to let your snake get a quick soak before you add the iodine in as well. Just in case they realize the water is making them thirsty.
    Spot application like a single area wound doesn't need to be as dilute.

For the Neosporin, you always want to make sure it's a type without painkillers. Spot application is usually fine but yes, it can cause issues when overly applied onto a snake. It's much easier to use on lizards. Silver sulfa works pretty well for most injuries on a snake but especially burns.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2022),dakski (12-14-2022),DJKFOUR (12-15-2022),Homebody (12-14-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts
    I agree with the above posts- & rather than struggling to soak a snake that clearly wasn't happy about it, I'd probably just dab on the Betadine solution ("weak tea") using a cotton ball (or similar applicator) on the local spots, then keep him on clean (white) paper towels for a while (during repeat treatments, if needed).

Those little rough "chipped" edges on the scutes look pretty typical to me for a snake that has some rough stuff to crawl on- the darker color is likely just dirt- it doesn't look infected to me either.

Neosporin ointment is safe* for use on a snake but use it sparingly as the oil base can really mess up future sheds. (*EXCEPT- never the pain relief formula on snakes) But a better choice is Vetericyn (brand) ointment for reptiles- it's water based & made for the task- available online or in some pet stores (incl. Petco, I think?). But again, that's for an actual infection- it would be good to have on hand if it's not in your local store.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-14-2022),dakski (12-14-2022),DJKFOUR (12-15-2022),Homebody (12-14-2022)

Thanks

Thanks so much, everyone, for your responses. I wanted to reply last night but the site was down for me.

I didn't soak him last night after hearing unanimously that it shouldn't be scale rot. I guess the benefit of all of this is that I now know where to find Betadine in my area! I also really appreciate the added help and information provided in answering my other questions.

I got him onto some newspaper yesterday before I realized these responses came in, but I will be switching back to his regular substrate and checking my decor to prevent future problems. He should be due for a shed soon, though I hadn't documented his last shed so I'm just waiting to see signs. It makes sense that it might just be some dirt; I guess the "WebMD effect" just got the best of me.

Thanks again!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJKFOUR For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-15-2022),Homebody (12-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,841 Times in 11,853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DJKFOUR View Post
    Thanks so much, everyone, for your responses. I wanted to reply last night but the site was down for me.

I didn't soak him last night after hearing unanimously that it shouldn't be scale rot. I guess the benefit of all of this is that I now know where to find Betadine in my area! I also really appreciate the added help and information provided in answering my other questions.

I got him onto some newspaper yesterday before I realized these responses came in, but I will be switching back to his regular substrate and checking my decor to prevent future problems. He should be due for a shed soon, though I hadn't documented his last shed so I'm just waiting to see signs. It makes sense that it might just be some dirt; I guess the "WebMD effect" just got the best of me.

Thanks again!
    Yes, the site was down for me too until this morning, & for everyone, I'd assume.

BTW- Betadine is the trademarked version (more expensive) & the = generic version (less $ but just as good, IMO) is called "povidone-iodine". Any drug store should have both, also Walmart, & most grocery stores (in the health care area).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-15-2022 at 07:38 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-15-2022)