Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

0 members and 3,188 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Thermometer Hygrometer?

ive seen a bunch of youtubers that have square boxes in their BP tubs/racks that are used to keep track of the temp and humidity, but all the ones im able to find only allow one sensor per gateway or arent waterproof incase one of my balls knocks over their waterdish, does anyone have any recommendations? looking for one that is waterproof, can have multiple sensors per gateway, sensors that arent huge and will take up a good size of the tub and that can connect to wifi thanks for any feedback!
    Last edited by Lawrencegmfu; 11-02-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: Thermometer Hygrometer?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrencegmfu View Post
    ive seen a bunch of youtubers that have square boxes in their BP tubs/racks that are used to keep track of the temp and humidity, but all the ones im able to find only allow one sensor per gateway or arent waterproof incase one of my balls knocks over their waterdish, does anyone have any recommendations? looking for one that is waterproof, can have multiple sensors per gateway, sensors that arent huge and will take up a good size of the tub and that can connect to wifi thanks for any feedback!
    Sorry, but I just can't picture what you're talking about. Please post a link to or a pic of the thermometer/hydrometer you're referring to. A pic of your rack would help as well. Thanks.
    Last edited by Homebody; 11-02-2022 at 04:52 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Sorry, but I just can't picture what you're talking about. Please post a link to or a pic of the thermometer/hydrometer you're referring to. A pic of your rack would help as well. Thanks.
    https://us.govee.com/products/govee-...oaArgjEALw_wcB
    like this, the only problem with govee is that they arent waterproof
    Last edited by Lawrencegmfu; 11-02-2022 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks

Sorry. I don't know of any thermometer/hydrometers that meet your specs, but maybe you don't need a waterproof one. Maybe, you just need more stable water bowls.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts
    I don't think hygrometers are waterproof -- a search on Fischer Scientific came up with none, anyway. They need exposure to the air to get the reading, but the sensors are damaged by water. Dart frog keepers would have found a waterproof one if one existed, but they haven't.

Most people with racks will use an IR temp gun to spot check temps. In a rack, RH stays stable enough and keepers with that many animals can eyeball things usually (by looking at substrate moisture and condensation), but for the person who needs numbers a good device might be a handheld RH meter -- I've heard good about this one.

Honestly, in my 100+ tubs (no BPs, but a handful of species from rosies to rainbows) I don't typically even spot check temps unless some animal says they need a check (snake behavior is as good a thermometer as a digital one). You don't see this on YouTube, though; showing off some flashy tech thing is much more clickworthy than explaining how a cold snake is always on the hot spot, and a too-warm one is always hugging the front of the tub.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-04-2022),Animallover3541 (11-03-2022),Homebody (11-02-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I don't think hygrometers are waterproof -- a search on Fischer Scientific came up with none, anyway. They need exposure to the air to get the reading, but the sensors are damaged by water. Dart frog keepers would have found a waterproof one if one existed, but they haven't.

Most people with racks will use an IR temp gun to spot check temps. In a rack, RH stays stable enough and keepers with that many animals can eyeball things usually (by looking at substrate moisture and condensation), but for the person who needs numbers a good device might be a handheld RH meter -- I've heard good about this one.

Honestly, in my 100+ tubs (no BPs, but a handful of species from rosies to rainbows) I don't typically even spot check temps unless some animal says they need a check (snake behavior is as good a thermometer as a digital one). You don't see this on YouTube, though; showing off some flashy tech thing is much more clickworthy than explaining how a cold snake is always on the hot spot, and a too-warm one is always hugging the front of the tub.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PKVRJJX/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_i=&pd_rd_i=B08PKVRJJXp13NParams&s=lawn-garden&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

lol guess i solved one of their problems
    Last edited by Lawrencegmfu; 11-04-2022 at 12:32 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lawrencegmfu For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-04-2022)

Thanks

I wouldn't do it. I suspect it's water-resistant because it's sealed in plastic, but the sensors are still exposed and the base is so narrow it would be easy to tip over into any standing water.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-04-2022),Lawrencegmfu (11-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Accurite is the one most commonly used by keepers hygrometer / thermometer w clock and day and date registers. The probe itself is touted as weather resistant.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-04-2022)