Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,403

1 members and 2,402 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Must have long-term equipment/Thermostat

I致e decided to put a UTH on Roxy enclosure to control the cool side as I realize winter is a coming and I知 going to need reinforcements.
    As this is just a temporary fix before I move and get a proper 4 x 2 x 2 acrylic enclosure I was wondering does any of you experienced owners feel that if you could do it again he would invest more certain equipment.
    I feel more comfortable buying a $300 thermostat with two probes if this is some thing that I知 going to need for the lifetime of my serpent or at the very least the lifespan of the thermostat. Rather than to keep spending $40-50 on stuff that I知 never going to use again or donate to my local pet store.
    Very unlikely I will have more than two or three reptiles when I知 in a permanent home but just in constructing this makeshift tub(s) I致e spent more then I did for my fancy BP.
    Feel free to mention stuff like furniture choices and cleanest/healthiest substrates as well.
    I definitely did not anticipate Roxanne growing as quick as she did as I had to toss out and change a lot within the first month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by D-.No; 10-20-2022 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Re: Must have long-term equipment/Thermostat

If you've got hundreds of dollars burning a whole in your pocket, a Herpstat 2 would be a good investment. So would a ProHeat radiant heat panel.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2022),D-.No (10-20-2022),GoingPostal (10-20-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    If you've got hundreds of dollars burning a whole in your pocket, a Herpstat 2 would be a good investment. So would a ProHeat radiant heat panel.
    Alternately, if you're on a tight budget and plan to be for some time, a Herpstat would be a good investment. They don't fail (and so don't need to be replaced), and if they did they are repairable by the manufacturer (I had a screen go out on one of mine and they offered to send me a screen and instructions or fix it for me; I chose the former and it works great). They also have a decent resale value.

Since you think that your collection might increase, a Herpstat 4 would be an even better idea. I like the interface on the 4 much better than the 2 as well.

I initially started out with VE thermostats, and over time -- as the VEs broke, and also when Herpstats went on sale (they used to run 10% off every fall, but I don't know that they've done that recently) -- I've replaced them with Herpstats and relegated a couple VEs to the QT room. So buy the best first, is my advice.

For furnishings I'm a big fan of cork bark (tubes and flats). As for substrate, I think that's a personal choice to a large extent. There is such a balance of cost, ease of use, visual appeal, how the snake reacts, etc -- and everyone will weigh those factors a bit differently. You can also try one and ditch it for another pretty easily. I've been using Repti Chips, but I'm thinking of trying Jungle Mix with some microfauna in it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

D-.No (10-20-2022),Homebody (10-20-2022)

Thanks

Yeah the Herpstats seem like an awesome design but maybe it would be wise to wait If I decide to add another cold blooded friend.
    I also have a fair amount of electronic/studio equipment in storage so less cables and gadgets in view outside the music room is a must.

Next time I visit my local reptile shop I知 gonna stick my head and take a wiff of the assorted substrates in use. I will have to be careful they have some gigantic geckos that I am much more cautious around then even their male frilled dragon.

I have a very sensitive sense of smell along with a compromised immune system so clean smelling and easy to maintain is very important to my well being.

Aspen is great but I do understand the downside many people feel for a tropical species like Royals. Also as serpents go I seem to lean toward tropical species, lizards I prefer desert dwellers as pets/captives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

From day 1:
    PVC enclosure
    Pro products RHP
    SpyderWeb Herpstat 2

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Harri For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (10-21-2022),D-.No (10-22-2022),Homebody (10-21-2022)