Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,440

2 members and 3,438 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

You guys with racks/heat tape, what is your temp set at?

I FINALLY got my tubs from Freedom Breeder to go in my Animal Plastics 6 tier rack. I have the probe taped to the tape and set at 90. I'm getting readings ranging from about 88-94 depending on where I shoot my infrared thermometer. With the Animal Plastics corrugated plastic tape cover in place, I'm getting about 82-84 surface temp. With the thick plastic of the tub in place, what are you guys setting your thermostats at that translate into comfortable temps inside the tubs for our scaled friends?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I don't use these items, but the temperature of your home or snake-room is going to make a difference on this. Because any racks or enclosures lose some heat & pick up some room chill- the warmer the ambient room temperature, the better your heat tape is going to provide heat (or over-perform). No harm asking, but just keep that in mind.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 421 Posts
    Not a snarky answer, sincerely:

I keep my heat tape at whatever temp corresponds with the particular animal spending some time on the heat -- especially at times when it makes sense to be on the heat like after eating, when gravid, etc. -- and some time off the heat. If they're thermoregulating in patterns that are understandable, and the measured temps are remotely in the ballpark (so not high enough to be a danger, and not way low), I just watch the animals and tweak a couple degrees as behavior suggests.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    Yeah, heat tape is one of those things that the area the enclosure of the room is in, the bedding, the tubs.... anything can be a factor in how to set your thermostat.

Generally the higher up in a rack the tub is the higher the heat tends to be.... So I aim for a comfortable setting in the middle of the rack shelf. One of mine is set to 92 in order t o keep a cozy 88 heat spot on one rack....
    Another is set to 95 because it's in a cooler room and that's where it needs to be to keep that 88.

And as a warning it's not something to set and forget. You should be doublechecking temps from time to time. Pick a shelf on each rack at random and check the temps. I was starting to get a bit more lax in my checks until I purchased a used AP rack a few months back. One with burn damage because the bottom shelf's tape heated up burning the rack and a hole in the actual tub 0_0;;
    Thankfully the snake in there was fine per the old owner and is one of the ones in my current possession as well.... but still a lesson to remind me to stay vigilant.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 10-04-2022 at 11:42 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Alicia (10-05-2022),Bogertophis (10-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: You guys with racks/heat tape, what is your temp set at?

Be cognizant of the probe placement and be sure not to tape over the probe end. Check for dislodgement as well because the continuing sliding in and out of the tubs can affect the fixation and position of your probe. Periodically double check the settings of the day , month, and year programmed into the thermostat. Also the clock time should be set accordingly and to pm and or am. Different thermostats have various and different power settings. Most of all, it’s something that you will have to periodically double check. Congrats on the new quality equipment. I have two different rack systems C serpents and Reptile basics. 3 of each type and one hatchling rack by C serpents. For the most part , I have to occasionally go up or down a couple of degrees but 92F is my regular.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-05-2022 at 09:03 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Alicia (10-05-2022),Armiyana (10-05-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,860 Times in 4,780 Posts
    When I set up the rack for testing I put something heavy like a book in the tub so it's over the heat tape to simulate a snake lying on it. If the tub happens to be bowed up or down that can make a difference in temperature from tub to tub.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022)