Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

4 members and 3,310 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Shouldn't the ball python caresheet be updated on the enclosure size part?

Just a small thing I noticed while reading it, it says that a 36x18x12" enclosure would be suitable for a ball python for it's entire life, this is quite a bit smaller than the recommended 48x24x24" today, I know the guide was made in 2010, just wondering if it should be updated?

Sorry if wrong section.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Re: Shouldn't the ball python caresheet be updated on the enclosure size part?

Quote Originally Posted by felixrocket View Post
    Just a small thing I noticed while reading it, it says that a 36x18x12" enclosure would be suitable for a ball python for it's entire life, this is quite a bit smaller than the recommended 48x24x24" today, I know the guide was made in 2010, just wondering if it should be updated?

Sorry if wrong section.
    I'm not sure that 48 x 24 x 24 is universally (or even broadly) accepted as the standard.
    Last edited by Homebody; 09-30-2022 at 08:29 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (10-03-2022),Bogertophis (09-30-2022),nikkubus (10-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I'm not sure that 48 x 24 x 24 is universally (or even broadly) accepted as the standard.
    I agree, & also, I think it depends on the gender (or size) of the snake, since females typically tend to get larger than the males.

There could also be exceptions (not all snakes achieve the same sizes no matter what their gender), & there may also be ambiguous genders or possibly some that were misidentified, so it's very difficult to make any firm "rule" that links the gender of the BP to the size enclosure they need.

It would make more sense to suggest the minimum acceptable size of enclosure based on the size (primarily length) of the adult snake, but since snakes grow their whole life, that too is easier said than done. Snakes are "famous" for out-growing their enclosures- & most of us realize that when that happens, it's just time to size up the enclosure.

The OTHER problem though is that some BPs just seem to prefer tight quarters- they feel more "secure" & feed well that way, & go "off eating" when given all that "luxury space" we think they need. Then what? Our s are individuals. So perhaps that's the reason no one has attempted to update the care sheet.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-30-2022 at 08:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (09-30-2022),Homebody (09-30-2022),nikkubus (10-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 422 Posts
    Tangential, but important: snakes, like all non-human animal species, don't have genders so far as we know. They have sexes.

https://www.taconic.com/taconic-insi...-research.html

Using 'gender' as a euphemism for 'sex' is a very dated locution, and problematic in a bunch of ways, but most relevantly because the two terms don't have the same meaning. At all.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (10-03-2022),bcr229 (10-01-2022),blisterbeetle (10-01-2022),Bogertophis (10-01-2022),Spicey (10-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I'd personally agree with the OP and would want to see that minimal enclosure size recommendation updated to 4x2x2. While the US continues to lag behind other countries in updated husbandry practices and in the lack of standardized recommendations, multiple zookeeping and herpetological associations in the UK and EU use the 4x2x2 standard as a baseline. And while our hobby is still plagued with outdated information, current research in husbandry and reptile welfare would support that recommendation.

While I absolutely agree that Royal pythons appreciate access to snug hides and plenty of clutter, that doesn't mean they do best in cramped enclosures. I'm a data-driven type, and husbandry research has made it clear that in order to thrive, snakes need enclosures with enough space to allow them to completely stretch out and to engage in natural behaviors like burrowing, climbing, and exploring. They need environmental complexity in their enclosures, a day/night light cycle, and opportunities to explore and experience new things both in and out of the enclosure. It'd be tough to provide that in a 36x18x12 enclosure even for a small male Royal Python.

This is just my unasked-for two cents worth, though!
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-07-2022),Bogertophis (10-01-2022),Homebody (10-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Tangential, but important: snakes, like all non-human animal species, don't have genders so far as we know. They have sexes.

https://www.taconic.com/taconic-insi...-research.html

Using 'gender' as a euphemism for 'sex' is a very dated locution, and problematic in a bunch of ways, but most relevantly because the two terms don't have the same meaning. At all.
    Thanks, that's WAY more thought than I gave it when I used the word "gender", lol. I'll go to my room...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (10-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I'd add that arguably, 2FT tall is not ideal in many instances, but also specifically for a BP. Arboreal snakes are a different, but for most snakes, 2FT tall isn't necessary and might be problematic.

It might make sense to consider a larger footprint than 3X2', especially for a larger specimen, but asking for 2FT tall is a different story.

Yes, taller tanks are easier to clean. However, BP's are burrowers, not climbers (in general) and like to feel snug. Further, 2FT tall makes stacking tanks more difficult (due to height limitations in many rooms) and makes it harder, or least more expensive, to heat the tank properly, and potentially more difficult to maintain proper humidity.

I keep my female BP, Shayna, in a 4X2X1.5', but even at 1,800G, think she would be okay in a 36X24, and 1 FT tall would be fine regardless. My Boas are in 6X2X1' tanks, for example. Harder to clean, yes. Plus, frankly, they would probably enjoy height, but I have a low ceiling (less than 6.5FT) and many tanks. The lower height makes stacking possible and heating is much less expensive. I do take the boas out regularly to exercise and climb.

Anyway, I digressed, but there are many ways to properly keep snakes (including BP's).

I haven't looked at the care sheet, but how is 36X24" defined? Standard, ideal, or acceptable? Language is important. Again, haven't not read the care sheet in some time, not defending it, just saying that a) I don't necessarily agree with the height recommendation here, and b) that there is more than one way to properly care for a BP, and snakes in general.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-03-2022),GoingPostal (10-03-2022),Homebody (10-03-2022),nikkubus (10-03-2022)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

I personally believe that a 2ft height is ideal, especially for males and many keepers have noticed that male bps enjoy climbing more than females (on another note, I have heard and experienced this same before with other reptiles and amphibians. Perhaps its a form of male-exclusive risk taking for food or mating opportunities commonly seen in some other species? Not sure, its just a theory ). Anything above 2ft would likely be a fall hazard however. I personally plan on getting my male bp a 48x24x24 once I get back to working. At the very least, I think 18in is the minimum for males and 12in is the minimum for females, although I think 12in is still kind of short.

Enclosure sizes can be difficult to figure out. Many people who keep rabbits as pets would disagree with me using a 36x30 wire bottom cage for my show bun, but I understand where they're coming from and I try to respect that. Luckily, this forum isn't as chaotic or judgemental as the reptile subreddits that a lot of these new care requirements come from so healthy debates can take place here and education is placed above personal attacks.
    Last edited by Animallover3541; 10-03-2022 at 09:06 AM.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-03-2022),Homebody (10-03-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts
    I more consider a 2ft height as a minimum if you have in-cage lighting. If done correctly, an entire foot of the height is taken up by allowing proper distances between basking spots and the lights themselves. I personally went with 3ft height for my ball python's final enclosure, so she gets two feet of climbing and then about 1 foot between her and the lighting (with an exception being made for her sky hide, as it's a good distance away from the heat elements).

I am only talking about if the enclosure has in-cage heat and lighting elements, and do not want to speak over or discredit those who use other means of heating their snakes' enclosures.

Picture provided for an example of what I'm talking about, and also Maze being herself and basking in the open.
    Last edited by Starscream; 10-04-2022 at 10:28 AM.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-07-2022),Bogertophis (10-04-2022),Homebody (10-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Wow! Maze is gorgeous and quite a big girl ! Lol. Thanks for sharing.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast