Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,212

2 members and 2,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Threaded View

Thanks

First ball python, now what??

Hello, I'm Jay and a first time ball python owner. Actually it was a birthday present for my daughter who wanted one but of course as it goes most time with kids, I'm the one stuck trying to keep optimal conditions for it.

So we purchased from a breeder at a reptile show, we got her on payments until I got everything we needed for her. I picked up an undertank heater mat, inkbird thermostat, 2 thermometers/hydrometers, a plastic tub, feeding tongs, temp gun, f10 for cleaning. Read up on Temps, and humidity, and all I could as quick as I could. Set the tank up as best as I could last week, and we brought her home this past Saturday. Temps n humidity seem good. I read to leave her be for about a week.

But on Monday after 3 days of her just being hidden in her hide. I got worried she hadn't drank any water in 3 days. No pee or poops either. So we pulled the hide off her which probably wasn't the best approach. But I was worried of her dying of dehydration. She didn't ball up but she did stay in her curled position and my daughter picked her up and we set her in her water bowl. I read soaking them for 10 to 15 minutes was okay so I figured that would help if she was dehydrated and also hopefully let her know there was water in the bowl if she got thirsty. I feel she relaxed a bit afterwards as she wasn't curled up as tight as she was before. But my question is what now. Should I be worried about not seeing her drink, pee, or poo for 5 days?

And also I didn't think to weigh her on Saturday when we got her. And I didn't want to pull her out once she was in her tub. But since we did on Monday to soak her I went ahead and weighed her Monday 2 days after we got her and she weighed 75 grams. She just turned 3 months according to the breeder. So I did some research and found she should be in the 120-200 gram. So she's well underweight. Hasn't been fed since 9/18. She was supposed to be fed sunday but we brought her home Saturday and they say to give them a week before you try feeding. Should we wait the week or try feeding now?? Sorry for all the newbie questions but I'm just trying my best to do right by her.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay0884 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-28-2022),Homebody (09-28-2022)