Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 519

0 members and 519 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Crested gecko egg

Hello! I haven’t been on since my ball python laid her second parthenogenesis clutch this year.
    Well there must be something in the water because my 9year old crested gecko laid an egg 2 nights ago and it does not look like a slug 😅 I haven’t candled it or anything yet but it looks nothing like her previous slugs. This one is smaller, white and leathery! So I plan to keep it and see if it hatches like my snakes miracle eggs.
    I have only owned these two reptiles my whole life. What are the chances they both lay a partho clutch!?

also, I am not a breeder and never planned to be haha Any tips out there for hatching this gecko egg? She laid it in moist coconut husk and sphagnum moss mixture. I’ve left it there for the time being. I looked it up and everyone suggests repashy super hatch but I’d have to order it and it will take over a week.. can I use what she laid in until that? Can I leave the egg in there to incubate? Either buried in the substrate like I found it or in a container on the ground of her terrarium to keep it safe?

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can get perlite at a local garden center type of store for incubation. Make sure it is plain perlite with no additives. That is what everyone (myself included) used before Repashy came out with their incubation medium.

Add water to the perlite, enough that it is damp but you can't squeeze water out of it. Put it in a deli cup or Tupperware type container that has a lid. Close and keep at room temperature.

I would not leave the egg in the adult enclosure regardless of how you decide to incubate. If the egg hatches, baby will be at risk for being dinner for mom, or losing its tail in an attempt to escape being dinner.

Partho crested geckos do happen occasionally, but it's not very common. Infertile eggs usually look pretty much the same as fertile ones. With this one being smaller than normal, I would not necessarily guess that it is fertile. That's not usually a good sign, but you never know.
    - Emily

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-13-2022),Homebody (09-14-2022),Malum Argenteum (09-14-2022)

Thanks
    I've hatched almost 20 babies, so I've experimented a bit and found what does and doesn't work for me. Put it in a small airtight container (like a food container or deli cup). If the container isn't airtight you can cover it with press and seal/saran wrap. From there poke anywhere from 2-10 small holes (think thumbtack sized), depending on your humidity. If you have a very low humidity in your area, only put a couple holes in, if you have a high humidity, you can put a lot in.

For an incubation medium, you have a lot of freedom. I personally use shallow vermiculite and set the eggs in it, and then put moss around the eggs (so they aren't touching) this has worked perfectly for me and I use it for all my clutches now (I've had problems with only vermiculite and only moss, and a mix works great). A list of some things you could use as a medium: water, paper towels, (sterilized) soil, moss, vermiculite, or perlite. If you use water or paper towels, you want to elevate the egg. A lot of breeders use a light diffuser, but for one egg you could just use an upside down container (for water) or a piece of something (like fabric, for paper towels). If you use water, switch to paper towels before it hatches. If you use soil be sure to bake it in the oven or buy specific pure soil (no fertilizers). I personally don't use moss because the eggs turned yellow from the moisture, but if the moss is on the dryer side where the egg comes in contact with it and the rest of it is wet, then it will work. Vermiculite and perlite are simple and foolproof, just put some in the bottom of the container ~1" deep and add water. No matter what you use (unless the egg is elevated like for water or paper towels), to add water just pour some in the substrate so when you pick it up and squeeze it, it doesn't drip, but it holds its shape.

Be sure to keep the egg in the same orientation so the baby inside doesn't drown. I make a little mark on the top with a marker.

There isn't much that's precise about any of this, as long as the egg doesn't dry out, almost anything is okay. It's a long post, but if you're anything like me you want step by step instructions, and if not, you should still be able to find useful information. Keep us updated if the egg hatches. Partho eggs aren't usually as healthy, so the egg is more likely to die and the baby might not live for very long. But, there have been plenty of documentation of healthy babies hatching.
    Last edited by Erie_herps; 09-14-2022 at 04:42 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-14-2022),Homebody (09-14-2022)