Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,311

2 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Tooth Inspection?

So last night was a first. Doing a little spot cleaning Roxanne came out to say hi. Seems to be showing signs of going into shed again, she is a of a lighter variety so it’s tough to tell. Haven’t been picking her up much so I took the opportunity and a funny thing happened. As she came to my wrist, mind you is covered by all sorts of colored tattoos and spatial patterns she opened her mouth and gave me a little ‘ sizing up‘ with her fangs.
    Not too different as what she would do to a non moving meal trying to figure out the best technique to put it down the old hatch so to speak.
    It was very gentle and did not break skin. Was wondering is this common behavior in baby/juveniles BP’s?
    I know most wild animals are either sizing you up for food if domination But it was so silly how gentle she was.
    Could it be the tattoo or do you think she’s just a little blind pre-shed?
    I’ll take this over a lunge or bite any time! Just wondering if it’s a expected occurrence.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I dunno, that's pretty weird & clueless. Any chance you had some rodent odor on you? Even without that, you're technically "warm & wiggling" so I guess she's still learning?

Snakes don't recognize us (OR their prey) using only vision- they need the other cues (scent, touch, warmth) so I guess you can expect a few more mistakes while she learns. Silly snek!

I've seen a rosy boa do that with people that handled her too- she was a nature museum resident, & when people would hold her, sometimes she's start pushing her nose into their hand here & there- trying to find the head! If the person holding her didn't know what was going on & "change the conversation" quick enough, they'd get bit.

So you'll have to watch for this behavior- snakes aren't all the same (not even among the same species) & some can be a little dingy. If you haven't had her very long, or handled her very much, she'll probably learn & stop doing this after a while, but she might make a mistake or two before that happens.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-07-2022 at 05:51 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (09-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 422 Posts

Re: Tooth Inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've seen a rosy boa do that with people that handled her too- she was a nature museum resident, & when people would hold her, sometimes she's start pushing her nose into their hand here & there- trying to find the head! If the person holding her didn't know what was going on & "change the conversation" quick enough, they'd get bit.
    I have a few rosies like this. They're almost as nice as the ones that never bite (which are not the norm), but much nicer than the ones that strike and constrict anything animal, vegetable or mineral that moves near their face.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I have a few rosies like this. They're almost as nice as the ones that never bite (which are not the norm), but much nicer than the ones that strike and constrict anything animal, vegetable or mineral that moves near their face.
    I agree, at least they're polite about biting! Rosy boas have the "reputation" for being sweet, mellow pets, but many of them sure fake people out! I spent 6 years raising (breeding) them & genetics really made a difference (my female did much better-ie. had calmer offspring- with her "second husband")- the ferocious ones would have survived rather well in the wild, but were less desirable as pets for the typical unsuspecting pet-buyer. (My adult breeders were originally wild unrelated ones & not captured by me- they were unwanted & turned over to me for various reasons.)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-08-2022),Malum Argenteum (09-07-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    ....much nicer than the ones that strike and constrict anything animal, vegetable or mineral that moves near their face.
    I call those "snap-dragons"! No relation to the flowers...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (09-07-2022),Malum Argenteum (09-07-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I call those "snap-dragons"! No relation to the flowers...
    Totally. But with Roxanne it was as ferocious as a flower. Still not sure if she was blinded a little bit or my tattoo was so mesmerizing? Definitely washed and disinfected up to my elbows well before I went in there so I don’t think it was a rodent smell. And as a reptile goes she’s as kind, derpy and maybe a little more ‘special’ than most. There was nothing malicious about the bite if you could it call that. I think she’s coming to total terms that I am not swallowable – lol
    I am most happy I did not respond or react at all. Held her for two more minutes and put her back.
    I hope she learns this lesson soon because I do not want to wake up with her with five toes in her mouth and a mutual look of dumbfoundment a few years down the road

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    Totally. But with Roxanne it was as ferocious as a flower. Still not sure if she was blinded a little bit or my tattoo was so mesmerizing? Definitely washed and disinfected up to my elbows well before I went in there so I don’t think it was a rodent smell. And as a reptile goes she’s as kind, derpy and maybe a little more ‘special’ than most. There was nothing malicious about the bite if you could it call that. I think she’s coming to total terms that I am not swallowable – lol
    I am most happy I did not respond or react at all. Held her for two more minutes and put her back.
    I hope she learns this lesson soon because I do not want to wake up with her with five toes in her mouth and a mutual look of dumbfoundment a few years down the road
    With no offense whatever meant to your tattoo, I doubt that was the reason, since most BPs (& many other snakes) just aren't that visually-oriented. This whole episode sounds pretty cute, & I think it was just her day to make a derpy mistake. I don't think your toes are in any danger...now or ever.

To put this in human terms, have you ever opened your mouth & said something you regretted, then wished you'd stuck your foot in to stop it, but it was too late? This is the snake equivalent- she instinctively reacted to some cues ("warm & wiggling") before realizing that you weren't quite what she was hoping for. Too bad they can't blush, that would have been even better. I think she'll get better at recognizing what's edible.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-08-2022 at 09:27 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (09-16-2022)