Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

1 members and 3,268 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 421 Posts
    Scanning this thread, I didn't catch a mention of the fact that snakes loose in a house often head for warmth -- so under the fridge or other appliances that generate heat are good places to carefully look. One of my adult rainbow boas escaped a couple years ago (slid the glass AP cage door open -- locks on them now) and just curled up under a snake rack.

My most memorable colubrid escape was a just purchased micropholis hatchling that slipped the cage and crawled into the attached garage that butts up against the basement reptile room. He somehow got into an empty 5 gallon bucket and wasn't quite large enough to get out, so he was recaptured and to this day I don't give him any chance to repeat the trick.

Anyway, it sounds like you've got a lot of good plans in place for locating him -- I think you'll find him.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-30-2022),Bogertophis (08-30-2022),Homebody (08-29-2022),KaijuSpy (08-30-2022)

Thanks
    Might also try picking up a live mouse or two and leaving them in a wire cage on the floor, if the other methods don't work. Sometimes I find that the sounds and scents of live rodents get their attention best, depending on the snake. Awkward to say, but kind of like how some dogs react strongly to squeaky toys and others don't. Still squeaky, just not a toy...
    BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

KaijuSpy (08-30-2022)

Thanks
    Okay it's morning, there was no trace of movement in the flour, the rat is still uneaten and there's still no sign of him.

Part of me is worried he wouldn't be able to take the cold, it got down to 16 degrees celsius in the night - when we checked behind the furniture fridge etc last night there was no trace of him at all, so I'm genuinely not sure he's even in the house
    Last edited by KaijuSpy; 08-30-2022 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks
    After another check this morning, he really doesn't appear to be anywhere in the living room, not behind or under any furniture - have any of you had this experience?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,186 Posts

Re: Ball Python escape, could he have gotten out of the house?

Quote Originally Posted by KaijuSpy View Post
    After another check this morning, he really doesn't appear to be anywhere in the living room, not behind or under any furniture - have any of you had this experience?
    I already shared my most recent experience with losing my Children's python, but I'll expand on it. I believe my snake was in the laundry cart the whole time. None of the newspaper I spread out was disturbed because he never moved. The thing is that I looked in that cart. It was one of the first places that I looked. I believe that I didn't see him because he camouflaged so well with all the clothes and because, at the time, I was frantic. I looked right at him, but I didn't see him. He was invisible to me.

So, I advise you to try and calm down. Take a nap. Eat a good meal. Looking for a snake is like one of those hidden pictures puzzles where you have to find the toothbrush or fire hydrant in a picture of a jungle. It's easy enough in the waiting room of your pediatrician's office. Much more difficult when your house is burning down around you.

You bp may never be found. I think it's important to accept that fact in order to get past it. Sometimes, they don't come back, but don't despair because usually they do.
    Last edited by Homebody; 08-30-2022 at 08:50 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-30-2022),KaijuSpy (08-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    Might also try picking up a live mouse or two and leaving them in a wire cage on the floor, if the other methods don't work. Sometimes I find that the sounds and scents of live rodents get their attention best, depending on the snake. Awkward to say, but kind of like how some dogs react strongly to squeaky toys and others don't. Still squeaky, just not a toy...
    CAUTION- if you try this, it can be deadly for the snake. Yes, the scent might attract the snake, but snakes have been known to get stuck between the wire bars of cages trying to get at the occupant (bird or rodent) & they can die trying, because the animal inside is going to attack the snake & may do enough damage to kill it (if the cage itself doesn't). DO NOT USE a wire cage- but a plastic-type one with secure snap-on top- the kind with very narrow slits for ventilation that NOTHING can crawl thru, much less get stuck in.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-30-2022),KaijuSpy (08-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KaijuSpy View Post
    Okay it's morning, there was no trace of movement in the flour, the rat is still uneaten and there's still no sign of him.

Part of me is worried he wouldn't be able to take the cold, it got down to 16 degrees celsius in the night - when we checked behind the furniture fridge etc last night there was no trace of him at all, so I'm genuinely not sure he's even in the house
    If your house is cold- remember that floors are colder than higher up- your snake will either be hiding near a source of warmth- something like the running motor UNDER your refrigerator- which can be VERY dangerous for a snake- or he'll be too chilly to move around much at all. Keep looking- many times loose snakes are not found for a few days or more- you've only just started. I get your frustration- most of us have been there, & once you have, you'll be much more motivated to never allow a snake to escape again.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-30-2022)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If your house is cold- remember that floors are colder than higher up- your snake will either be hiding near a source of warmth- something like the running motor UNDER your refrigerator- which can be VERY dangerous for a snake- or he'll be too chilly to move around much at all. Keep looking- many times loose snakes are not found for a few days or more- you've only just started. I get your frustration- most of us have been there, & once you have, you'll be much more motivated to never allow a snake to escape again.

Also don't forget that ball pythons can climb! Especially the males. If your little guy had the desire to crawl around and escape, it's likely he also was inclined to climb up high somewhere. Could he have possibly found his way back into his enclosure and buried himself? I had that happen with my boyfriend's White's tree frogs when I was "frog sitting" once. He turned up in his tank the next morning.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2022),Homebody (08-30-2022),KaijuSpy (08-30-2022)

Thanks
    Hi everyone I just wanted to update you all - we found him safe and sound. He had found a back passageway behind our kitchen sink, fridge, draws etc and was hiding behind a layer of insulation - he was cold but okay - i'm just gonna keep an eye on him and if he needs we'll take him to a vet.

Thank you all so much for your help, the panic is now over!
    Last edited by KaijuSpy; 08-30-2022 at 09:57 AM.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KaijuSpy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-30-2022),Animallover3541 (08-30-2022),Bogertophis (08-30-2022),dakski (08-30-2022),GoingPostal (08-31-2022),Homebody (08-30-2022),Kryptic (08-30-2022),Malum Argenteum (08-31-2022),SS snakes (08-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Congrats! They truly don’t travel far from their enclosures.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

KaijuSpy (08-30-2022)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast