Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

2 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is 36x18 ok?

Thanks

Re: is 36x18 ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It depends on how much more air you're trying to keep warm- don't assume, try it first: test for at least a week without an occupant, & in winter when your place is chilly. That's the only way to know.
    Well im not making any changes at the moment, just meant with more heat near the enclosure would raise the ambient.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Installing a CHE in a plastic enclosure is what I would be concerned about. I know people do it, but I'd find it challenging. When I had my bp in a sterilite tub, I only used a UTH because my ambient temp is high.

His CHE hangs above the enlcosure. The top has soldered holes to allow better heat penetration. His main hot side is heated by flexwatt.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vader1 For This Useful Post:

Kryptic (08-24-2022)

Thanks

Also correction, at the substrate level the floor is 34x17 as the tub has a slight flare to it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 421 Posts
    I had my (only BP) normal male in a V-70 tub (50 qt) for about eight or ten years before moving him into an AP T8 (4' x 2' x 1'). The larger enclosure seems to be less of a 'snake storage unit' than the V-70, and more of a "habitat" just based on how he acts. For reference, I keep most of my snakes in tubs; I'm not anti-tub in any way whatsoever.

I kept a pair of adult blood pythons for a handful of years (eventually, they sort of wore me down...they're a lot of snake to deal with) and for a while I used Xmas tree tub enclosures. I found those hard to deal with and moved the bloods into AP enclosures after maybe a year in the Xmas tubs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2022),Homebody (08-28-2022)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like to add that some manufacturers like Boamaster and AP make racks for those big Christmas tree tubs if you wanted to get one.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-28-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    I would like to add that some manufacturers like Boamaster and AP make racks for those big Christmas tree tubs if you wanted to get one.
    That's a good thing to mention. I did have mine in a rack, for what it is worth. They were too large to slide out easily (heavier snakes than BPs, admittedly) and harder to clean than stacked enclosures (either put them on the floor and scrub them out, or try to move them somewhere to hose them out -- neither was as good as working in a front-opening AP cage).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-28-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post

Yea Ive seen the AP version. I just like being able to pop the top off and have full access to spot clean wipe down the sides when disinfecting. If I had more BP's i would see the use but right now its just my Ball and baby MBK.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-29-2022 at 01:59 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I had my (only BP) normal male in a V-70 tub (50 qt) for about eight or ten years before moving him into an AP T8 (4' x 2' x 1'). The larger enclosure seems to be less of a 'snake storage unit' than the V-70, and more of a "habitat" just based on how he acts. For reference, I keep most of my snakes in tubs; I'm not anti-tub in any way whatsoever.

I kept a pair of adult blood pythons for a handful of years (eventually, they sort of wore me down...they're a lot of snake to deal with) and for a while I used Xmas tree tub enclosures. I found those hard to deal with and moved the bloods into AP enclosures after maybe a year in the Xmas tubs.

See he was in a VE-70 equivalent before I went with a taller 120qt in an effort to be more naturalistic and it seemed he was more active in the short tub lol. But that could just be recall bias. Thank you for your input.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
    See he was in a VE-70 equivalent before I went with a taller 120qt in an effort to be more naturalistic and it seemed he was more active in the short tub lol. But that could just be recall bias. Thank you for your input.
    Possibly the "more active" behavior was because he wanted more room and once he got it he felt at ease. Or it could be that he liked the smaller tub better for reasons that we keepers have trouble seeing. I occasionally (not frequently, but a handful of times) have upsized growing snakes only to have them completely stop feeding; returning them to the original (too small, as far as I can see) tub immediately fixed the issue.

I have two rainbow boas like this right now, still jammed in shoeboxes since they won't eat at all in the next tub size up, but never refuse a meal in the shoeboxes. I personally try to give animals what I think is right (based on other keepers' input, natural wild conditions, empirical research, and so on) but if the animal indicates that this isn't what they want I try to defer to the animal's apparent wishes so long as it doesn't involve something obviously opposed to its health and safety.

Back to an earlier topic: having the tub in a rack, or using a PVC display enclosure, simplifies heating tremendously. The AP cage especially -- one radiant heat panel on a Herpstat and you're good to go. The Xmas tub in a rack in a cool room might need some creative heat tape (some belly heat, some side heat) but that's not too challenging. I share the worry about a CHE hanging over a tub, though of course you're the only one with eyes on the setup.

Given the lifespan of BPs, amortizing the cost of the most secure, safe and (in my opinion, anyway) easy to deal with enclosure comes out to a couple dollars a year ($250 APcage + $100 RHP + $200 Herpstat = $550 over 40 years = $13.75 per year), even ignoring the high resale value of this sort of equipment. Just a way to think about it that it seems we sometimes don't, that's all -- not implying that you or anyone else should see things only one way.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2022),Homebody (08-29-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Possibly the "more active" behavior was because he wanted more room and once he got it he felt at ease. Or it could be that he liked the smaller tub better for reasons that we keepers have trouble seeing. I occasionally (not frequently, but a handful of times) have upsized growing snakes only to have them completely stop feeding; returning them to the original (too small, as far as I can see) tub immediately fixed the issue.

I have two rainbow boas like this right now, still jammed in shoeboxes since they won't eat at all in the next tub size up, but never refuse a meal in the shoeboxes. I personally try to give animals what I think is right (based on other keepers' input, natural wild conditions, empirical research, and so on) but if the animal indicates that this isn't what they want I try to defer to the animal's apparent wishes so long as it doesn't involve something obviously opposed to its health and safety.

Back to an earlier topic: having the tub in a rack, or using a PVC display enclosure, simplifies heating tremendously. The AP cage especially -- one radiant heat panel on a Herpstat and you're good to go. The Xmas tub in a rack in a cool room might need some creative heat tape (some belly heat, some side heat) but that's not too challenging. I share the worry about a CHE hanging over a tub, though of course you're the only one with eyes on the setup.

Given the lifespan of BPs, amortizing the cost of the most secure, safe and (in my opinion, anyway) easy to deal with enclosure comes out to a couple dollars a year ($250 APcage + $100 RHP + $200 Herpstat = $550 over 40 years = $13.75 per year), even ignoring the high resale value of this sort of equipment. Just a way to think about it that it seems we sometimes don't, that's all -- not implying that you or anyone else should see things only one way.

Just found out im bring gifted a pvc tank for christmas so i guess i dont have to worry to much. As for the creative heating, yea my house is cold compared to where ive lived in the past so i had to go with the uth che combo. its controlled and humidity seems to stay stable in his tub. And yea hopefully he lives another 20 years so i agree that the cost is really front loaded

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vader1 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2022),Malum Argenteum (08-29-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12