Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,447

2 members and 3,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Weird red scales on BP?

Hello guys! This is my baby banana.
    i got him recently and he has this red bump on the side of his tail, i took him to a vet but she says she doesn't have much experience in treating ball pythons as we don't have many in my country and the clinic she is at is the only place
    specializing in exotic animals. She gave me a cream to
    apply and a nutrition powder. Does anyone know what it
    is? And is it serious? I can’t help but worry, i’ve never had this before with previous ball pythons and I can’t stand not knowing what it is!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Weird red scales on BP?

How are you housing the reptile , what are the temperature settings you are working with and the humidity level also? It’s always a good bet to check the enclosure and recheck to make sure the proper environment is being provided. Can you post the pictures of the enclosure as well? Thanks. By the way, is the reptile a banana spider morph? It has a appearance of having the spider mutation?
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-08-2022 at 11:56 PM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-09-2022),Bogertophis (10-09-2022),Homebody (10-10-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    How are you housing the reptile , what are the temperature settings you are working with and the humidity level also. It’s always a good bet to check the enclosure and recheck to make sure the proper environment is being provided. Can you post the pictures of the enclosure as well? Thanks. By the way, is the reptile a banana spider morph? It has a appearance of having the spider mutation?
    Yes it is ( had no idea when i first got him i am not experienced in morphs ) i am on my way to school right now, so i will answer and send photos as soon as i am back!
    But in general his humidity levels are okay, his environment is good he has three hides and i use coconut husk as substrate with a bit of moss to retain moisture

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    I'm curious about the genetics as well... The color seems a bit wrong for banana and the pattern/headstamp screams spider. Maybe it's just the lighting in this photo but the darker areas look black and not the lighter purples to brown of a banana

The other thing I noticed is it is a bit swollen looking in that area. It might be helpful before the next bit of cream to give him a good soak before you apply it. Might help reduce swelling a little and gently clean the area to get a better application of the cream.

A couple other questions for you:
    Is there possibly anything he can get stuck on/in or get too close to a heat element?
    How long have you had him?
    How did you get him? Was he shipped to you or picked up locally?
    How long has the area seemed swollen or red?
    What is the baby currently eating? live food can sometimes fight back.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-09-2022),Bogertophis (10-09-2022),Homebody (10-10-2022)

Thanks

Weird red scales on BP?

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    I'm curious about the genetics as well... The color seems a bit wrong for banana and the pattern/headstamp screams spider. Maybe it's just the lighting in this photo but the darker areas look black and not the lighter purples to brown of a banana

The other thing I noticed is it is a bit swollen looking in that area. It might be helpful before the next bit of cream to give him a good soak before you apply it. Might help reduce swelling a little and gently clean the area to get a better application of the cream.

A couple other questions for you:
    Is there possibly anything he can get stuck on/in or get too close to a heat element?
    How long have you had him?
    How did you get him? Was he shipped to you or picked up locally?
    How long has the area seemed swollen or red?
    What is the baby currently eating? live food can sometimes fight back.
    I just noticed that i read the other user’s question incorrectly as i was in a rush, His NAME is banana, but he is a spider morph, not a banana spider morph!!! He was shedding while he had this swollen red area so yes i did also soak him and he shed great
    As for the questions:
    1. No, i keep the heating pad under the terrarium, his basking area is not close to the heating lamp as it is not too hot, it doesn’t heat the upper metal thingy that opens ( and it would be weird to think he is able to get his tail any close to the lamp, that would be impossible, but i did not rule it out either haha )
    2. Nearly a year.
    3. Got him locally!
    4. A couple days, but now it has reduced considerably, but the area is swollen and a little red
    5. He eats two mice every 8 days but it has been a while since I last fed him, where i’m at is currently out of mice everywhere i drove for HOURS on end to every store i could find, they have been out for two weeks and till now i have no clue when i will be able to get my hands on any.
    Last edited by Alyazisr; 10-09-2022 at 07:51 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    How are you housing the reptile , what are the temperature settings you are working with and the humidity level also? It’s always a good bet to check the enclosure and recheck to make sure the proper environment is being provided. Can you post the pictures of the enclosure as well? Thanks. By the way, is the reptile a banana spider morph? It has a appearance of having the spider mutation?
    I’m so sorry!! i read your last question wrong, his literal name is banana, and he is a spider morph! My bad

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Alyazisr For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alyazisr View Post
    Hello guys! This is my baby banana.
    i got him recently and he has this red bump on the side of his tail, i took him to a vet but she says she doesn't have much experience in treating ball pythons as we don't have many in my country and the clinic she is at is the only place
    specializing in exotic animals. She gave me a cream to apply and a nutrition powder. Does anyone know what it
    is? And is it serious? I can’t help but worry, i’ve never had this before with previous ball pythons and I can’t stand not knowing what it is!!
    I'm concerned about the possibility of an infection. What type of cream did your vet give you? Is it an antibiotic? Even if it is, treating it with some diluted Betadine (povidone-iodine)wouldn't hurt. Dilute the betadine to one part Betadine to ten parts water and apply to the injured area prior to applying the cream. If it's available, Vetericyn is even better.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-10-2022 at 09:23 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-15-2022),Alyazisr (10-10-2022),Bogertophis (10-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    I'd agree that looks like either an infection of some kind or a burn injury.

A "nutrition powder" isn't very likely to help (or hurt), but an antibiotic cream might- it all depends. I'd also agree about topically using Vetericyn (if available where you are) or Betadine solution (aka povidone-iodine) that's diluted (to look like weak tea).

You also called this a bump- the amount of swelling isn't obvious in the photo, but swelling under the skin does suggest an infection- and it's possible that topical application of medications (no matter how effective they are) won't be enough to remove the infection. Snakes produce solid pus for the most part that requires surgical removal, as it cannot "drain"- but hopefully this won't get to that point.

There is a limit to how much we can help you online- this really does need an in-person vet visit & I'm sorry that your options are limited. I hope your snake recovers okay- pay close attention to see if this increases or seems to be healing- and DO check your enclosure for anything that might have caused this (burn? scrape?). Best would be keeping him on clean paper towels for substrate while he's healing. If this appears to be spreading (increasing in size or area) DO get back in touch with your vet.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-15-2022),Alyazisr (10-10-2022),Homebody (10-10-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I'm concerned about the possibility of an infection. What type of cream did your vet give you? Is it an antibiotic? Even if it is, treating it with some diluted Betadine (povidone-iodine)wouldn't hurt. Dilute the betadine to one part Betadine to ten parts water and apply to the injured area prior to applying the cream. If it's available, Vetericyn is even better.
    Yes okay! Thank you! Vetericyn & betadine are both available last i saw ( at the vet + a horse supply shop ) so i will be heading out later to get one and soak him as you recommended :>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd agree that looks like either an infection of some kind or a burn injury.

A "nutrition powder" isn't very likely to help (or hurt), but an antibiotic cream might- it all depends. I'd also agree about topically using Vetericyn (if available where you are) or Betadine solution (aka povidone-iodine) that's diluted (to look like weak tea).

You also called this a bump- the amount of swelling isn't obvious in the photo, but swelling under the skin does suggest an infection- and it's possible that topical application of medications (no matter how effective they are) won't be enough to remove the infection. Snakes produce solid pus for the most part that requires surgical removal, as it cannot "drain"- but hopefully this won't get to that point.

There is a limit to how much we can help you online- this really does need an in-person vet visit & I'm sorry that your options are limited. I hope your snake recovers okay- pay close attention to see if this increases or seems to be healing- and DO check your enclosure for anything that might have caused this (burn? scrape?). Best would be keeping him on clean paper towels for substrate while he's healing. If this appears to be spreading (increasing in size or area) DO get back in touch with your vet.
    The vet gave me a broad spectrum antibiotic i think, But nonetheless it wont hurt to soak him in vetericyn too better safe than sorry!!
    There may be a limit but you guys probably helped me out and gave me information a ton more than my vet ( not that i mean they didn’t, I appreciate all that they did despite their little knowledge in BP’S but they did not get into specifics at all or ease my worries ) so thank you all! ^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast