Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,320

2 members and 3,318 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Black Sterilite tub vs. Clear Sterilite tub

I’ll be getting a ball python in the near future and was planning to use a Sterilite tub setup for them until I get a rack system in place. Was originally planning on getting a clear Sterilite tub, however, thought that maybe a completely solid black tub instead would be better to make them feel a bit more secure. I’d be using appropriately sized hides in either one as well (RB hides).

I’d be still taking them out to socialize them/handle them from time to time, but I thought that having a solid colored/dark tub will let them feel a bit more secure and less stressed by outside stimuli.

Does this sound okay? Has anyone else done this/have experience with it? Yay/nay?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 11,848 Posts
    If no light comes thru, I'd avoid using the black ones- snakes do use (need?) the ambient room light for a photoperiod (ie. to know when it's day or night)- just think about how disorienting it is for humans when kept in the dark for extended periods of time.

Also, that "sense of security" might backfire on you- & make them more startled & stressed when approached.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-27-2022 at 03:15 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-27-2022),Kam (07-28-2022)

Thanks

Re: Black Sterilite tub vs. Clear Sterilite tub

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If no light comes thru, I'd avoid using the black ones- snakes do use (need?) the ambient room light for a photoperiod (ie. to know when it's day or night)- just think about how disorienting it is for humans when kept in the dark for extended periods of time.

Also, that "sense of security" might backfire on you- & make them more startled & stressed when approached.
    The sense of security part makes sense! Got a bit of mixed signals when reading other threads in regards to light and there were some threads mentioning how BPs do not really need a photoperiod compared to other snakes due to their life strategy and in rack setups, they only get minimal light through the cracks whenever someone is the room.
    Last edited by antinoud; 07-27-2022 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks
    I can't say for sure just how much daylight they require- but it just goes against my gut feeling to contain any creature without providing for the realistic options they'd have in the wild- ie. the ability to perceive daylight cycles.

And in my experience, snakes which are more nervous & high-strung do better when they have some routine exposure to my proximity- it might matter less with BPs, since they tend to hide a lot? I keep snakes that are nosy, so they learn I'm not a big scary predator when they can see me & what's going on around them. It's a balance though- if your household is very "active", that wouldn't be quite the same thing.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-27-2022),Kam (07-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,187 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by antinoud View Post
    Has anyone else done this/have experience with it? Yay/nay?
    I had a good experience moving my BP from a clear tub to an opaque one but a lot of other things changed when I switched, so it may not have been the color of the tub that led to the improvement. If you post pics of the tubs you're considering, it will help us evaluate your options.
    Last edited by Homebody; 07-27-2022 at 04:55 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks
    All I can say is that my snakes are in transparent tubs, but I also provide opaque black hides for them. Usually they push the hide off the heat and snuggle in between the back of the hide and the back of the tub, but sometimes they go inside... then migrate themselves and their hide back and forth in the tub to suit their heat preference. It's rather amusing to watch the hides moving forward and backwards inside the tub from one day to the next.
    BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    All I can say is that my snakes are in transparent tubs, but I also provide opaque black hides for them. Usually they push the hide off the heat and snuggle in between the back of the hide and the back of the tub, but sometimes they go inside... then migrate themselves and their hide back and forth in the tub to suit their heat preference. It's rather amusing to watch the hides moving forward and backwards inside the tub from one day to the next.
    It's even better when they start to out-grow their hides & look a bit like tortoises sliding around. Or like they've always wanted a top-hat?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Argentum (07-27-2022)

Thanks

My boy started in a black tub but I put led lights inside so he had a day and night cycle. I feel like with a clear one you probably don't need that but it worked for me so I figured I'd say what I did.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-27-2022)

Thanks

Appreciate the replies so far everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I had a good experience moving my BP from a clear tub to an opaque one but a lot of other things changed when I switched, so it may not have been the color of the tub that led to the improvement. If you post pics of the tubs you're considering, it will help us evaluate your options.
    Here’s the tote I was thinking of (the black colored one). Obviously would be putting in ventilation holes as well.
    https://www.containerstore.com/s/sto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    My boy started in a black tub but I put led lights inside so he had a day and night cycle. I feel like with a clear one you probably don't need that but it worked for me so I figured I'd say what I did.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    What prompted you to change if I may ask?

At the end of the day, I don’t mind using a clear or opaque tote, just don’t want them to feel stressed out. The python in question will be a 150-160 gram one so a bit small, I’d be putting in two medium reptile basics hide box (one on cool end one on warm) with some scrunched up paper inside to make them feel more secure as they grow into it. Was just trying to mimic a more enclosed space, similar to a rack.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to antinoud For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-28-2022)

Thanks
    Again, only my own personal experience, but I'd go with something different from what you posted. Not because I don't think it could work, but because I've used a tub similar in design to that in the past for an emergency, and they are an absolute pain the posterior portion to clean, and doing so takes much longer than one that's smooth on the inside. I swear that snakes particularly love to grind their mess into the grooves and hollows.
    BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-27-2022),Homebody (07-29-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast