Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,412

2 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

First time bp owner and first time feed question

Apologies for the long post!

Got our first bp on 7/18 judging from how long the store had him (they show since 3/16/22) I think he may be around 5 months old? He weighed 164 grams on 7/18. Today was his first feed and he came right out, struck and started feeding. He went with the rear end first and seemed to struggle a bit and ended up letting go and hung out for a bit. We left the room (maybe 20 min?) came back and mouse was gone and he was stretching up and opening and closing his mouth. Lol I couldn’t see any lump in him but I think he ate it. Anyway, he sat like that for a few more minutes then went into his cool hide and kept poking his head out and flicking his tongue looking around. I guess my question is, how do I know if he’s looking for more? The feed was a f/t medium mouse which that is what the store fed him all through June and then last week they wrote that they fed him “2 fuzzies” I asked if they meant fuzzy mice or fuzzy rats and they said mice. I checked those at the store and they seemed smaller than a medium mouse. So that’s why we went medium. I’ll try to add a couple pics to show size (I hope they work!) lol I’m just so anxious to make sure I’m doing everything right so any tips/input is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Hi, & welcome- congrats on your first BP & also your first successful feeding.

Here's a chart that may help you decide the proper size prey for your snake as he grows- & you'll notice it goes by weights- that helps a lot since not everyone (including vendors) describe rodent sizes the same way. Typically though, prey for newly-hatched BPs is one hopper mouse, unless they're unusually small, & prey is sized up as the snake grows. (Mouse "fuzzies" are too small for a BP- that's why they fed him 2, & even then it was a skimpy meal.)

My only criticism of this chart (which isn't mine but has been on the site for longer than I have) is that the meal spacing is closer together than what I'd do- but you can use your own judgement on that anyway- it's just a guideline.

BPs are naturally wider mid-body than many other kinds of snakes, so sometimes it is hard to "see a lump" from the meal just taken, but if it ain't there & you didn't eat it, chances are pretty good your snake did.

And please understand this: most snakes that have just eaten will keep looking for "more" even if they just ate a LARGE meal, lol. It's a lot like us humans- even when we're full, we often still want dessert, eh? That's because it takes time for the human brain to get the message from our stomach that it's full, & I assume snakes may have the same "design flaw"? Anyway, do not fall for it- you don't want your snake to regurgitate from excessive food & insufficient digestive enzymes- you just don't. And snakes that are slightly underfed are better off (health-wise) than those which are over-fed- much like us, hahaha.

Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-23-2022 at 11:38 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-23-2022),Argentum (07-23-2022),Hines9905 (07-23-2022),Homebody (07-24-2022)

Thanks

Re: First time bp owner and first time feed question

Thank you, I appreciate the response! lol I guess I just thought it would take a little longer to get to the thicker part of his body since it took a bit for him to get his mouth all the way around it. I was worried at first maybe it was too big for him and that’s why he stopped and then waited but I don’t think it was bigger around than the widest part of his body. He’s all curled up in his cool hide now and poked his head out when I misted to bring the humidity back up (still working on getting that to stay where it needs to be and keeping it there.)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,830 Times in 11,847 Posts
    Those little faces peeking out & asking "More?" can be hard to say "no" to, but snakes can stay "in feed mode" for anywhere from a few hours to more than a day, & you also want to avoid just reaching into their home to do something because they can easily misinterpret your warm & wiggling hand for something edible. So pay attention & learn your snake's body language, unless you like playing tag (ie. being tagged).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (07-23-2022),Hines9905 (07-23-2022),Homebody (07-24-2022)