Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,177

3 members and 3,174 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Wood Cleaned w/ Chlorohexidine in Bioactive enclosure?

I have driftwood that I have previously soaked in chlorohexidine/water. Is this going to kill my isopods and springtails if i later put it in my new bioactive enclosure and they start to break down the wood?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,836 Times in 11,849 Posts
    I don't know for sure (I'm not into bioactive) but I would think it might kill them, IF, as you said, they actually "break down" (eat?) the wood, as wood is quite porous & will retain some of the chemicals used on it within the fibers.

That's one reason I often caution people NOT to use bleach to disinfect wood furnishings, as the wood will retain the strong bleach fumes that WILL cause harm (irritation & possible more) to whatever creature is stuck breathing it.

With diluted chlorhexidine there's no odor left to indicate it's still there, but I would assume it is- btw, that's what I use to clean my snake's homes & furnishings- and I do periodically use it on branches or wood tunnels- it doesn't even require rinsing as it won't off-gas anything harmful once it's dry (unlike bleach). In cages, I just wipe it dry- no rinsing needed. But with creatures that will dig into the wood, I'd personally error on the side of caution & not use this driftwood with this kind of set-up (bioactive). If you soaked it afterwards in plain water, that might (?) be enough to dilute & remove traces of chlorhexidine from the wood fibers, but I can't be sure.

Sorry, I'm sure that's not the answer you were hoping for but I'm glad you thought more about it- I wouldn't want your creatures harmed.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-12-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-12-2022)

Thanks

Re: Wood Cleaned w/ Chlorohexidine in Bioactive enclosure?

Thanks. I suppose I can re-clean it and stick it in my bearded dragon enclosure since that is not going to be bioactive.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,836 Times in 11,849 Posts

Re: Wood Cleaned w/ Chlorohexidine in Bioactive enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by mervsmom View Post
    Thanks. I suppose I can re-clean it and stick it in my bearded dragon enclosure since that is not going to be bioactive.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it (as is, as long as it's dry) with a beardie- they don't eat the wood. But your isopods are so tiny, they're bound to be far more easily affected.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)