Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

2 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: which one is a better beginner lizard

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • bearded dragon

32 29.63%
  • leopard gecko

74 68.52%
  • green water dragon

2 1.85%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Good first lizard?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyhoo9
    I am a crestie junkie myself. No heat needed[...]
    No heat needed? Sure, if the room they're kept in is at a constant 75-degrees, this might be true. Otherwise, their enclosure needs to be supplemented with something to regulate the heat to that level. High-60's (at least!) during the night. And don't forget the humidity levels!

If you want something to hold every day or so, I'd recommend the Leopards. Otherwise, the Cresties tend to be a little "jumpy," to say the least, and are less likely to tame as easily as Leopards (per my experience and what I've read). Both are relatively easy to take care of, but each have different husbandry requirements to keep in mind. I'd say Cresties are slightly more "high-maintenence" than the Leopards.
    1.0.0 Ball Python - "Mr. Bojangles"
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - "Zeppelin"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

which is more high maintenance, cresteds or leos? i think that may all depend on what you define as maintenace. leos require heat no matter what, cresteds don't need it as long as your room temps are at least 68 or so. cresteds need to be fed fresh cgd and/or crickets every few days, leos can be fed a staple diet of mealworms which can be supplied in a dish every few days. leos require insects, cresteds don't, but mealworms are more easily kept and maintained than crickets. cresteds are jumpy but can be tamed pretty easily, leos tame easily but if not tamed when young can be aggressive. it's kind of a toss up really between which is higher maintenance, but if you don't factor in heat, i would say that cresteds are a bit higher than leos, but not by enough that it should sway you not to keep them if you want to get one.
    - Emily

Thanks

A few days ago, I brought home my first blue tongued skink. I named him Joe, but truth is I have no idea what his gender is, but I figure Joe can be androgenous. I think they are a great first time lizard, however, the initial cost is high like a bearded and the lizard itself will be more expensive than a bearded as well. My little guy still hasn't figured out that I don't want to eat him, but in time, with proper handling and husbandry, he should become a lazy, tame, lap lizard who loves to be held and interacted with. I think it will happen. Also, they have these very expressive eyes. Almost human. Very unlike a snake's eyes. And that blue tongue is cute as can be.

Rachel

Thanks

I honestly don't know much about lizards and tend to be more of a snake person... but I have to say.. blue tongues are *awfully* cute lap lizards. *prods Rachel for pics*
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

in all honesty, i've seen better success with kids and crested geckos. they are easier to house, and most parents are glad the "claws" aren't so sharp, don't need heat and will lick baby food from a finger. kids like their easy care and fun looks. hand down, crested are the best first herp to own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kzooherpetoculturist
    good info... i've been wanting to get a lizard or two, but many of them seem rather high maintenance compared to snakes. cresties sound nice though... and they're the coolest looking, except for maybe some monitors or chameleons - both of which i'd never own.
    that was me a couple months ago... now my cresties are becoming my favorite herps.
    since my room is so warm because of all the other heated herp enclosures in there, they really do NOT need extra heat, even during the michigan winter. i don't even bother to keep crickets, i just pick them up on my way to class once or twice a week.

in short, crested geckos are becoming one of my favorite captive herps.
    Colin Vestrand

long time keeper and breeder of carpet pythons and other snakes...

Thanks

I am in love with my little bluey Jo-Jo. I decided Jo-Jo is female because I felt like it. They are awesome creatures. She is growing like a weed. They have personalities like I have never seen in a herp. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of practice, but I swear, this little girl can learn things. She sleeps in socks and has learned how to climb inside them. She recognizes my voice and makes sincere eye contact with me. On top of all that, she is just as curious as can be. Amazing little girl. I would be willing to breed her, but I don't know her sex and wouldn't know how to determine it anyway short of a blood test. She is pretty fun to feed because she is a true omnivore and thrives on a variety of foods, so I actually cook all her food myself. She even will curl up next to me and sleep when I am watching TV. Absolutely precious creature. I couldn't recommend blueys enough.

I will post pics the second I purchase a new card for my camera.

Rachel
    0.0.1 Ball Python (Shahrazad)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Blue Tongued Skink (Joey)

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

My first lizard was.... well my first lizards were a pair of baby leos that I got 1 day after the other. I just lucked out to get a 1.1 group of babies!!!! Leos are low maintnance compared to most other lizards like my sav. They are calm, and a bite doesn't hurt. They don't require specifics like asian water dragons do such as 70%+ humidity and uv lighting live beardies and water dragons. Relatively easy to keep and a good lizard to "practice" incubation skills on because the eggs are forgiving to a little change in temp.

Thanks

I can't believe no one said Nile monitor?

LOL, actually that was my first lizard, back in 1990, talk about a mistake! He sure was cool to look at but when they bite, and they will bite, he would clamp down and wouldn't let go! Thankfully he was a baby and by the time he hit 1 foot he hardly ever bit anymore, he preferred to lash me with his tail at that point, which usually was worse than being bitten! I'm not even going to mention the little buggers claws! By 2 foot long he had tamed down, "tame" being a relative term, he was after all still a Nile monitor. By three foot long he had found a nice new home with a friend that worked at the San Diego Zoo. Needless to say that was the end of my monitor keeping, they are beautiful lizards, just not for everyone!

Back to the topic at hand, I personally think the leopard gecko is a better first lizard, followed closely by the crested and the bearded dragons. And yes, I am slightly biased in my opinion.
    Sam Mounts
    Gecko Den

Thanks

I think Crested geckos are even better than leos. Their set-up is easier: they don't require any heat, nor do you have to feed them crix if you use the Crestie MRD. They get just as tame as leos, too, if you interact with them enough.
    I second that. Cresties are the best.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast