Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,124

0 members and 3,124 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

So I just moved with my ball python

I got to say I'm impressed with my Remi. Yesterday we ended up driving 15 hours together. Trip turned out way longer than expected. Thankfully I planned for a long trip and he did great. Now he's acting like his normal self. He's in a completely new environment but I kept his tank the same even brought the previous substrate since it had some springtails still in it. But I'm highly impressed that the trip hasn't seemed to phase him. He came out at his normal time and he's slowly waking up like normal.

I was planning on giving him a week off of food for him to settle in. He was fed last Tuesday. But I'm debating if I should just feed him this coming Tuesday. He's already acting normal and I'm surprised because he went from living in a low traffic area to right now he's in the living room until I get a space cleared off for him to come into my room.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2022),Bogertophis (02-20-2022),Erie_herps (02-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Sounds like your planning helped a lot- great job! That's been my experience too, moving with a car-full of animals that included a dog, 15 snakes & even rodents! Traveling for days- my snakes never seemed very bothered by it- almost like they enjoyed a good long snooze. (I checked on each one & offered water each night when we stopped for the day.)

I'd say that if Remi is acting hungry on Tuesday, go right ahead & feed him. It won't hurt a bit to wait a week either, or for that matter, change days & start feeding him a few days later instead- just to give him more "adjustment time" but without waiting another week+. Your call- see how he's acting. Happy landings in your new place.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: So I just moved with my ball python

Thanks. Yeah he seems unaffected so I'll probably try to feed him on Tuesday as long as he keeps acting like himself and as long as I remember to put his rodent in the fridge tomorrow. If his behavior changes my plans might change but otherwise it'll probably go same as before. I don't stress on what day he gets fed if it's a day off or so. As long as he eats every 5-7-10ish days. Most weeks it's 7 days but if life gets crazy I know he can wait a day. All of you guys on here have been so helpful with everything and it's thanks to all you guys that I knew how to travel with him correctly and I've learned to not stress over the little things that snakes do.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-22-2022),Bogertophis (02-20-2022)

Thanks
    yeah with my new snake hes so awesome like i had him out at least 2 hrs every day since i got him and he still ate even after moving habitats and everything he ate hes been doing great and he is sooo chill it just makes me realize how cautious my girl is compared to him lol so ig it just varies from snake so ig ur guy is an adapter
    Last edited by DatBoiAJ_; 02-21-2022 at 03:57 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DatBoiAJ_ View Post
    yeah with my new snake hes so awesome like i had him out at least 2 hrs every day since i got him and he still ate even after moving habitats and everything he ate hes been doing great and he is sooo chill it just makes me realize how cautious my girl is compared to him lol so ig it just varies from snake so ig ur guy is an adapter
    Makes me wonder if it's his personality like you said or partly how I raised him too. I'm usually always changing something about his enclosure so he might be used to change too. Like changing where everything is or changing which potted plants are in with him because he's always slightly damaging the plants. I have doubles of almost every plant for that reason lol. Let him damage it, give it like a month outside his enclosure for it to heal. Could be a combination. He's a great adapter either way. He's also very adventurous and outgoing so his personality probably plays a lot into it. He's my only snake now but he's definitely a good boy so I'm happy I get to take care of him.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-21-2022),Homebody (02-22-2022)

Thanks
    yeah i used to change my girls enclosure every few months-jsut to spice things up, but now i put a heat pad in and theres less space(put a divider for my other snake to be in the same cage)so i think ill jsut leave it how it is lol

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    I think that if you have a snake that is never handled & never exposed to unfamiliar areas & things, they'll likely be more spooked by moving or any other changes. They certainly don't stay in one spot in the wild- they learn their way around, even if they don't go that far from where they hide. I'm not above changing up my snake's homes & it seems to make it more interesting to them- to explore & move around more. So I agree Neko_snake- how you raised him likely helped.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Well I trusted him and he was acting perfectly normal. He ate and did so just as normal. It definitely makes me feel good that he's settled in easily. If he continues acting normal I think I'll go back to handling as normal once he's digested.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-23-2022)