Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

1 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Registered User Violetdragon626's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Urgent help to rescue baby ball python!!

Hey everyone, I need some help. There is a baby ball python at a local pet store that has been there since november. She has already been to the vet due to her not eating and she got better, but i was just there the other day and it dosnt seem like they are taking very good care of her. I would live to rescue her to help bring her back up to health and give her a fighting chance to a long life she deserves.
    Last edited by mlededee; 02-15-2022 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Removing links

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Violetdragon626 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-16-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,829 Times in 11,846 Posts
    I truly know how hard it is to see any snake that appears to be neglected & in poor health, & want to help...BUT I hope you understand that taking on such a snake requires a lot more than just bringing it home.

Such a snake can have unseen health issues, needing more experience than you have, & probably a LOT more in expenses from an experienced exotic vet. Are you really prepared for that?

Not knowing your experience, or if you have a go-to vet, this site can help you locate one nearest you: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

You mentioned you're not "new" to snake-keeping- so do you understand what's needed to fully quarantine a new snake (even one that appears healthy) from any others you may have?
    This one may need a long time to recover, if it ever does. That's something you should consider- the time, space & finances that you really have available.

Now one of the biggest things to think about: when you buy a sickly snake (or any other animal) from a pet store, you're telling them that the condition of their animals doesn't matter, because you'll buy them anyway. Please give that a LOT of thought: once you buy this one, along comes another one to replace it.

The process of mass-producing & shipping snakes to pet stores leaves a LOT to be desired: they're exposed to unstable temperatures, usually other sick snakes & other reptiles along the way, parasites, lots of stress, & too often, to lousy care once they arrive, so when you buy them anyway, you perpetuate that process- you're actually ensuring that more are likely to suffer the same fate. It's not surprising that some snakes in pet stores are sickly- actually, it's all too typical. The pet stores with healthy herps are sadly the exceptions.

Remember too, that much as we want to, none of us can rescue them all- we're greatly out-numbered. Your heart is in the right place, but please give this a lot more thought.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-15-2022 at 10:05 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-15-2022),arpowell (02-15-2022),ballpythonluvr (02-17-2022),Erie_herps (02-16-2022),Homebody (02-15-2022),manuel_97 (02-16-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    As Boger mentioned, this allows them to fill another 'hole' on the floor with another animal. If this is a store that has poor reptile care, that's just asking for more of the same. And the breeders aren't the best at at times. I've seen some crazy stuff come through before.
    I did see a particular link earlier... And unless you are already in possession of another full setup I'd consider raising more than just the cost of the animal.

If this is a petsmart.... Former employee here.
    You can ask to talk to the store manager about this particular snake. Let them know that you are aware that it has had feeding issues before and that it looks like it is still in a poor body condition. You can bring up the fact that if they had been assist feeding and it's having feeding issues again that it may be a snake that requires live feeding. They are not allowed to do live feeding for this animal. If the snake truly is in a declining state, they may consider adopting the animal out to you. Honestly it depends on how well they know reptiles and just what the vet had told them at that point. Adoption means that they will relinquish the animal to you knowing that it has possible health conditions and maybe even unknown conditions. They will not pay for any care or guarantee anything but the animal will be given over to you.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-15-2022),Erie_herps (02-16-2022),Homebody (02-15-2022),Hugsplox (02-16-2022),Luvyna (02-16-2022)