Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

2 members and 3,189 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey

Thread: Impromptu move

Thanks

Impromptu move

So I've been kicked out of where I was previously staying so for personal reasons I need to move. At the moment I don't know what that will consist of. It could be a 2 minute move down the road or 7+ hours away. Not sure yet. Either way I feel like I need to prepare for moving my snake. At this time it's only one snake.

What are some things I need to worry about for a trip that could be 7+ hours? I have a pillow case and I was thinking about buying a cheap styrofoam cooler or something like that but some guidance would be appreciated.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-05-2022),Bogertophis (02-05-2022)

Thanks
    I would say, snake in pillow case, in small styrofoam cooler, with other cushioning if needed to stop impact from the drive (sudden stops etc.), and heat packs/hand warmers. If you wanted to be sure you could set up the travel cooler with the heat packs beforehand and then check the temp inside the cooler with a temp gun etc to make sure it stays above 75f. Obviously also don't feed before the trip, if you keep track of how often your snake defecates then try to have them defecate right before the trip so they don't go while traveling. You could try giving them a soak in warm water beforehand to encourage defecation and also hydrate them before the trip. Good luck!
    Last edited by 55fingers; 02-05-2022 at 07:24 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (02-05-2022),Bogertophis (02-05-2022),Homebody (02-05-2022)

Thanks

Re: Impromptu move

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    I would say, snake in pillow case, in small styrofoam cooler, with other cushioning if needed to stop impact from the drive (sudden stops etc.), and heat packs/hand warmers. If you wanted to be sure you could set up the travel cooler with the heat packs beforehand and then check the temp inside the cooler with a temp gun etc to make sure it stays above 75f. Obviously also don't feed before the trip, if you keep track of how often your snake defecates then try to have them defecate right before the trip so they don't go while traveling. You could try giving them a soak in warm water beforehand to encourage defecation and also hydrate them before the trip. Good luck!
    Makes sense. Not really sure if I have time to test everything but I'd definitely monitor every chance I get. I was debating on soak beforehand just because it's cold but if he's in a "temperature controlled" cooler it shouldn't be that bad. Does the car temperature matter? Like should I keep the car slightly warmer than usual.

I've traveled long distances with snakes before but that was before I knew as much as I know now so I just followed what was asked of me as far as how to prepare them for travel. Didn't really research on my own until I wanted one as a pet. Granted that snake did make me start wanting one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    Makes sense. Not really sure if I have time to test everything but I'd definitely monitor every chance I get. I was debating on soak beforehand just because it's cold but if he's in a "temperature controlled" cooler it shouldn't be that bad. Does the car temperature matter? Like should I keep the car slightly warmer than usual.

I've traveled long distances with snakes before but that was before I knew as much as I know now so I just followed what was asked of me as far as how to prepare them for travel. Didn't really research on my own until I wanted one as a pet. Granted that snake did make me start wanting one.

As long as you dry him after the soak it won't make him any colder. I would keep the car warmer if you can, though you don't want him to overheat, but depending on where you live I wouldn't think that easy to do in the middle of winter haha. As long as he stays above 75f there shouldn't be any concern. Definitely bring a thermometer or, preferably a temp gun so you can check temps on the fly. 7 hours isn't too much either, there's people on here who have had power outages for a lot longer than that and managed to keep their snakes warm enough. I would focus on minimizing impact from the bumpy road, and maintaining temps, and it should be fine. Make sure the pillow case and cooler are very secure as well! They are great at escaping when you don't think it's possible.
    Last edited by 55fingers; 02-05-2022 at 08:04 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 55fingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 55fingers View Post
    As long as you dry him after the soak it won't make him any colder. I would keep the car warmer if you can, though you don't want him to overheat, but depending on where you live I wouldn't think that easy to do in the middle of winter haha. As long as he stays above 75f there shouldn't be any concern. Definitely bring a thermometer or, preferably a temp gun so you can check temps on the fly. 7 hours isn't too much either, there's people on here who have had power outages for a lot longer than that and managed to keep their snakes warm enough. I would focus on minimizing impact from the bumpy road, and maintaining temps, and it should be fine. Make sure the pillow case and cooler are very secure as well! They are great at escaping when you don't think it's possible.
    Makes sense. I plan on putting clothes I don't care about to minimize any rough roads I have a temp gun so I definitely will be checking with that and checking constantly. Do I need to poke air holes or anything? Or is just checking him enough?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

What type of reptile is it? The ball python in your avatar? We recently had a prolonged power outage here in my neck of the woods. It lasted for a week from the snowstorm that ravaged most parts of Virginia here. That was coupled with closure of I95 North and South so it was a true state of emergency! I had packed up my reptiles (23 pythons and 1 gravid garter) into pillowcases and then into a large styrofoam cooler. Also had 1 large plastic tub. I kept them all in the car with me. Just used the heat from the car to stay warm. I did have shipping heat pads but didn’t use them. I offered them water every few days and they all did very well. They stayed warm and were no worse for wear once it was over. Hope it never happens again especially for that amount of time. These reptiles are forgiving and as long as they have a healthy foundation to begin with. I was so glad that it was between feeding schedules so all of them did well. My other garters and kingsnakes stayed in the hope. Their tolerances of cold weather are strong. It was like a weeklong brumation period for the colubrids and I’m glad their bellies were empty. Good luck with your dilemma.

Last edited by Albert Clark; 02-05-2022 at 08:18 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-05-2022),EL-Ziggy (02-06-2022),Homebody (02-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    What type of reptile is it? The ball python in your avatar? We recently had a prolonged power outage here in my neck of the woods. It lasted for a week from the snowstorm that ravaged most parts of Virginia here. That was coupled with closure of I95 North and South so it was a true state of emergency! I had packed up my reptiles (23 pythons and 1 gravid garter) into pillowcases and then into a large styrofoam cooler. Also had 1 large plastic tub. I kept them all in the car with me. Just used the heat from the car to stay warm. I did have shipping heat pads but didn’t use them. I offered them water every few days and they all did very well. They stayed warm and were no worse for wear once it was over. Hope it never happens again especially for that amount of time. These reptiles are forgiving and as long as they have a healthy foundation to begin with. I was so glad that it was between feeding schedules so all of them did well.
    Yeah my ball python in my profile. That's an amazing feet of survival from both you and your animals. Remi just ate the 1st so I'm also sorta in-between feedings, I've been feeding him weekly, but he's looking a little chubby so if he has to go a little longer than it should be okay. Just a sudden unplanned trip so rushing to get everything done.

Thanks
    A 7 hour trip shouldn't be a problem. I would just use everything as if you're shipping him (of course a special box isn't needed), a styrofoam cooler, deli cup, newspapers or towels, thermometer/temp gun, and just in case you need it a heat pack (NOT a hand warmer, they get way too hot). In the car you can just hold the box to keep an eye on him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

55fingers (02-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,842 Times in 11,854 Posts
    Agree with above posts- I've moved with snakes in the car, traveling for a couple days- with no problems. If you had multiple snakes, I'd remind you not to over-crowd them in "ice chests" but it's easy with only one.

As far as air holes, it's safer to put an air hole in a styro box, otherwise it depends on you- remembering to open the box after a while for fresh air- & there's no exact way to estimate how often you need to do that because it also depends on how big the box is- ie. how much air is actually in it for the occupant(s) to breathe as to how long before they're in trouble.

If using an actual cooler, rather than drilling a hole, just wad a little bit of tape into the lid so it doesn't close quite tightly- that should let in a bit of air. When our snakes are relaxed they really don't use up a lot of air- think of how they're shipped by air.

Since I had multiple snakes, I also grouped them for compatible sizes- so smaller ones weren't getting smooshed by larger, heavier ones, but like I said, moving with just one should be a "piece of cake". Good luck finding a better living situation.

One more thing- even if you only anticipate a very short trip- please pack your snake the same way no matter what- just in case your trip is held up while enroute: you cannot predict vehicle breakdowns or traffic jams (even if it's someone else's accident tying up the road). Better safe than sorry, no matter what the season is- getting stuck with excessive heat outside can be just as deadly as excessive cold.

Here's a quick example: https://weather.com/storms/winter/vi...d-temperatures
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-05-2022 at 01:06 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (02-05-2022),Homebody (02-05-2022)

Thanks

I just recently made an 8 hr drive back up to my parents for Christmas and I had to bring my snake along because we were staying for 2 weeks. I just got the shipping heat packs from my local reptile store, they are super cheap like $1.50 a piece and used a pillowcase and put her in a USPS large shipping box, I taped the bottom and left the top open and just closed it by folding the edges over. I had a temperature probe underneath where she was so I can monitor the temps and it was 79-84 the whole trip. And it was about 30-40 degrees outside the whole trip as well. My husband likes the car colder and she still stayed warm. Make sure to wrap the heat pack in newspaper or paper towel so they aren't directly on it!

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bayalicious For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-05-2022)