Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,299

3 members and 2,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: On fire or just stubborn?!? Hellllp :x

Ok. Now that my thermostat is set everything looking ALMOST perfect. My probe is reading 86 which makes right under the heat source ground 88. About 83 in the middle and 79 on the right.

The only weird temp im seeing is still on top of the heat hide (now the small on on the left). The radar gun is marking 95/96. I’ve never seen him really laying on it. … is this a huge problem? All other temps seem to be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,902 Times in 11,890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KhansDaddy View Post

Ok. Now that my thermostat is set everything looking ALMOST perfect. My probe is reading 86 which makes right under the heat source ground 88. About 83 in the middle and 79 on the right.

The only weird temp im seeing is still on top of the heat hide (now the small on on the left). The radar gun is marking 95/96. I’ve never seen him really laying on it. … is this a huge problem? All other temps seem to be perfect.

If it's that hot on top of the small hide, what's the temperature inside it? Because 95* is not safe.

Also, this is perhaps a poor time to mention this, but I'm going to anyway: for best results, we suggest providing 2 identical hides, one for the warm side & one for the cooler side. (You can have more than 2- some also add a humid-hide, & some hides are just decor/cage furniture- like those half-round tree bark tunnels that are too "open" to feel secure as a "hide".)

The reason you want the warm & cool hides to be the same is because snakes usually choose to feel "secure" (safe) rather than choosing the right temperature, if they can't have both at the same time. That means that if one hide feels more "snug", even if it's too warm or too cool, that's where your snake will likely spend most of his time: if it's too cool for good digestion, the snake may regurgitate his meal instead of digesting it. If it's too warm, his metabolism will be in high gear- he'll need to eat more so he doesn't lose weight & will grow slower.

Snakes need the right options to thermoregulate at all times- their first priority is to hide- otherwise (in nature) they're exposed to predators & bad weather, & their second but important consideration is to be warm enough to digest, and also to have a hide where they can cool off as needed. If your snake stays in the smaller "warm" hide most of the time, you can't assume it's only for the temperature- he may not feel safe in that larger one that's so open.

The hides you've provided look cool to us, but from a snake's perspective, the doorways are too big- they don't allow for much privacy. You'd think that companies making them would listen to us by now, but many don't- in part, because people like these & buy them anyway. Snakes don't care how they look, they just want to feel safe inside, & they prefer smaller doorways, lower ceilings (to provide a sense of "back pressure"-aka being snug inside), & only one opening. You might be able to get away with using these hides IF you add more "cover" in front of them as many people do, but you need to be aware of this at the very least.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

KhansDaddy (01-26-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If it's that hot on top of the small hide, what's the temperature inside it? Because 95* is not safe.

Also, this is perhaps a poor time to mention this, but I'm going to anyway: for best results, we suggest providing 2 identical hides, one for the warm side & one for the cooler side. (You can have more than 2- some also add a humid-hide, & some hides are just decor/cage furniture- like those half-round tree bark tunnels that are too "open" to feel secure as a "hide".)

The reason you want the warm & cool hides to be the same is because snakes usually choose to feel "secure" (safe) rather than choosing the right temperature, if they can't have both at the same time. That means that if one hide feels more "snug", even if it's too warm or too cool, that's where your snake will likely spend most of his time: if it's too cool for good digestion, the snake may regurgitate his meal instead of digesting it. If it's too warm, his metabolism will be in high gear- he'll need to eat more so he doesn't lose weight & will grow slower.

Snakes need the right options to thermoregulate at all times- their first priority is to hide- otherwise (in nature) they're exposed to predators & bad weather, & their second but important consideration is to be warm enough to digest, and also to have a hide where they can cool off as needed. If your snake stays in the smaller "warm" hide most of the time, you can't assume it's only for the temperature- he may not feel safe in that larger one that's so open.

The hides you've provided look cool to us, but from a snake's perspective, the doorways are too big- they don't allow for much privacy. You'd think that companies making them would listen to us by now, but many don't- in part, because people like these & buy them anyway. Snakes don't care how they look, they just want to feel safe inside, & they prefer smaller doorways, lower ceilings (to provide a sense of "back pressure"-aka being snug inside), & only one opening. You might be able to get away with using these hides IF you add more "cover" in front of them as many people do, but you need to be aware of this at the very least.
    Ok. I will definitely work on getting better hides/camouflaging a little better.

But for now…. That’s the thing, inside the hide is 88. And everywhere around the hide is 86-88. It’s just directly on top of the hide bc it’s under the heat source I guess.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KhansDaddy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,214 Posts

Nah. You're good. Keep an eye on it though. 96 degrees is on the outer edge of the safe basking range.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

KhansDaddy (01-26-2022)

Thanks
    Is it that hot on that nearby "black branch thing"? I don't picture him lying on top of this hide (because he'd feel too exposed- BPs are more active at night & not inclined to bask), but he could easily crawl over it at times. Not sure how you can fix this- will think about it...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

KhansDaddy (01-26-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Is it that hot on that nearby "black branch thing"? I don't picture him lying on top of this hide (because he'd feel too exposed- BPs are more active at night & not inclined to bask), but he could easily crawl over it at times. Not sure how you can fix this- will think about it...
    I just checked the black branch it comes in 88, 90 at the closed to the heat.

The hide comes really hot directly under it. Even the other side of the top is significantly cooler so I guess. I will try scooting it over for now. Maybe it’s just getting too hot bc of what it’s made of…

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KhansDaddy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-26-2022)

Thanks

Maybe he was a little hot maybe he was on strike buuuuttttttttt

Temps are good now and Khan finally ate today!!

Thanks again everyone!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KhansDaddy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (01-30-2022),Bogertophis (01-30-2022),Homebody (01-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Maybe he was a little hot maybe he was on strike buuuuttttttttt

Temps are good now and Khan finally ate today!!

Thanks again everyone!

Thats great news! Consider triple checking the temps around the enclosure regularly. I get the feeling that the probe needs to be repositioned closer to the actual ceramic heat emitter. You might have to tweak it going forward.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-30-2022),KhansDaddy (01-30-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Thats great news! Consider triple checking the temps around the enclosure regularly. I get the feeling that the probe needs to be repositioned closer to the actual ceramic heat emitter. You might have to tweak it going forward.
    Ahhh? I hope not! I siliconed that thing in there to stayyy I have been checking the temps like a FREAK since I put it in. Lol.

I keep it set at 86. That makes RIGHt under the bulb about 89 abd the cool size 78/79. And the middle is right 83/4.

BUT bc of this experience I will definitely keep checking… like a freak thanks for keeping me aware!

Thanks

Ahhh? I hope not! I siliconed that thing in there to stayyy ...
    Now you know why we suggest fully testing the heat in all enclosures before any snakes move in.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

KhansDaddy (01-30-2022)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast