Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,430

1 members and 3,429 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: First Feeding

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 423 Posts
    As for 'feeding doesn't have to be complicated', I sort of agree, but will point out that many species we keep have not evolved to feed on Mus musculus or Rattus norvegicus. BPs (I just learned; research to make a point here) can be pretty heavy bird eaters, especially when young (https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...50009809386744).

As for 'healthy animals eventually eating' that simply isn't true, mostly because of the limited and unnatural captive prey offerings (though I think in part because of the unnatural environment generally). I sometimes (less than regularly, but more often than I'd like) have hatchling snakes that simply won't accept a reasonable captive diet, and they starve or get euthanized. I currently have about a half dozen hatchlings that need their food boiled or brained, and are showing no signs of change in preferences. The hoops I jumped through to get them even this far were considerable, and I had two losses this season from complete non-feeders.

Once snakes get out of the hands of the breeder, the poor- and non-feeders among them have been (hopefully) weeded out, so a sample that only considers those established animals isn't representative. I don't think many keepers know what trials go on behind the scenes with some of these species, both in getting them feeding and otherwise (birth defects, health issues, behavioral issues).

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-07-2022),Bogertophis (01-07-2022),Homebody (01-08-2022),montagma (01-07-2022)